Sell me on MSC versus Carnival or Norwegian!

ldlewis45

The MSC “Drinks on Us” special is a great value.

The ship is absolutely beautiful!

The entertainment is the best that I have seen on a ship.

We were on the March 31st sailing and had a wonderful cruise.

We had no complaints!

It is not in our best interest to sell you on MSC and I have no idea what you are looking for in a cruise. You must have some issues with your current cruise line(s) or you wouldn't be here, that is how many of us have come to MSC. I came here after getting aggravated by NCL. After plenty of research I tried an inexpensive trial cruise and now have completed three MSC cruises and have a fourth booked. I can advise you that MSC has a fairly steep learning curve and differences compared to mainstream US cruise lines and either you can adjust to it or you move on.

It is not in our best interest to sell you on MSC and I have no idea what you are looking for in a cruise. You must have some issues with your current cruise line(s) or you wouldn't be here, that is how many of us have come to MSC. I came here after getting aggravated by NCL. After plenty of research I tried an inexpensive trial cruise and now have completed three MSC cruises and have a fourth booked. I can advise you that MSC has a fairly steep learning curve and differences compared to mainstream US cruise lines and either you can adjust to it or you move on.
No, not really having issues with any of the cruise lines I've sailed previously. I'm just not the type of person that sees any need to remain loyal to one line. I'm tempted by this one because it's a balcony room and drink package for less than the cost of an inside room alone on either Carnival or NCL.

What do you mean about the steep learning curve? That's pretty vague.

I agree. I'm only booked on MSC and yet to sail, but to sell someone on MSC would be a hard ask. I'm not sure it's possible.

What do you mean about the steep learning curve? That's pretty vague.

I came in with a status match to Black having never set foot an a MSC ship. I had no idea how anything worked: When would the perks like the prosecco, invitations to special gatherings and the "gifts" arrive. What is "priority" regarding boarding or tendering? Where will I find my drink vouchers? The daily says the event will take place at this location, but it's been moved? None of these questions will be coherently answered by anyone on the ship. In fact you will get a different answer from each worker that you ask. Even worse the rules can change without any notice. "Just call XXX on your stateroom phone and set it up" - you will never get an answer to that call. Give up now on getting a correct answer from a PVC. How do you arrange a dining time, especially if it's not listed on your cruise card? How do you arrange your Black card specialty dining date (used to be plural)? I have to reserve shows in advance? I need to sign a waiver first, and now the zip line has a fee? Where the hell is that Yacht Club tent (YC will alleviate a lot of said problems though)? Try waiting through the customer service line every time you can't figure something out, good luck. I will just say a thank you to the people here on the MSC CC forum, yet it was and will continue to be a learning experience.

I came in with a status match to Black having never set foot an a MSC ship. I had no idea how anything worked: When would the perks like the prosecco, invitations to special gatherings and the "gifts" arrive. What is "priority" regarding boarding or tendering? Where will I find my drink vouchers? The daily says the event will take place at this location, but it's been moved? None of these questions will be coherently answered by anyone on the ship. In fact you will get a different answer from each worker that you ask. Even worse the rules can change without any notice. "Just call XXX on your stateroom phone and set it up" - you will never get an answer to that call. Give up now on getting a correct answer from a PVC. How do you arrange a dining time, especially if it's not listed on your cruise card? How do you arrange your Black card specialty dining date (used to be plural)? I have to reserve shows in advance? I need to sign a waiver first, and now the zip line has a fee? Where the hell is that Yacht Club tent (YC will alleviate a lot of said problems though)? Try waiting through the customer service line every time you can't figure something out, good luck. I will just say a thank you to the people here on the MSC CC forum, yet it was and will continue to be a learning experience.
Luckily, I'll be coming in at Silver, I think, so I'm not expecting any special perks. I'm fairly laid back as a cruiser, so as long as I've got my balcony and some good food and drinks, I'll be happy. And since I'll be getting my balcony at the same or lower price as the interior room I was looking at on the Carnival cruises I was considering, plus I'll be getting drinks included, I think I'll be pretty satisfied.

I'm fairly laid back as a cruiser....

That will definitely help. I will say MSC is definitely a good value for the money. I heard lots of complaints, particularly from newcomers expecting to be treated like royalty and demanding perfection with a side of caviar. I just kept thinking to myself how can they nitpick these small details when they paid so little. Now in Yacht Club you pay more and also get a lot more - mostly in terms of personal space and service - again a very good value for the money. My next sailing is Aurea, so it will be another new experience.

I'm tempted to take my first MSC cruise in August on the Seaside out of Miami. Tell me why I should try MSC, instead of going with Carnival, NCL, or Holland America (my previous cruise lines).

Maybe you should not...:confused: Its like to compare Italian restaurant to French one or to Japanese . Its just different and you like it or not.

Pam and I are NCL fans and happened to take our first cruise on MSC last June because it was the only departure and itinerary that worked for our visiting family from overseas.

We are so glad that we did!

I don’t think that the differences are as extreme as some make it out to be. Every cruise line has its differences with regard to dining, entertainment, website, perks, rewards programs, etc. Its up to the passenger to learn the particulars.

What we enjoyed about MSC were the production shows, the elegant atmosphere, the relaxed attitude, theme parties, and the Italian influence.

Now with the Drinks On Us promo and the lower pricing MSC is a fantastic deal!

We’ll be on the Seaside in September!

I'm tempted by this one because it's a balcony room and drink package for less than the cost of an inside room alone on either Carnival or NCL.

I'm fairly laid back as a cruiser, so as long as I've got my balcony and some good food and drinks, I'll be happy.

I think you've already identified the reasons! To me, MSC represents great value cruises on beautiful ships with crews that seem to genuinely want me to have a great time. My most fun cruise has been on an MSC ship.....

BUT:

- you get what you pay for. NCL definitely is a slight notch above in terms of quality (a big notch in terms of cost though!)

- food is subjective, as well as the dining style on MSC (set tables, dining times and table-mates unless you are Aurea experience or above.

- some people seem to hate MSC...... Real hate!

I think you've already identified the reasons! To me, MSC represents great value cruises on beautiful ships with crews that seem to genuinely want me to have a great time. My most fun cruise has been on an MSC ship.....

BUT:

- you get what you pay for. NCL definitely is a slight notch above in terms of quality (a big notch in terms of cost though!)

- food is subjective, as well as the dining style on MSC (set tables, dining times and table-mates unless you are Aurea experience or above.

- some people seem to hate MSC...... Real hate!

Thank you, this is what I was looking for! I didn't realize that so many people would completely misunderstand what I was trying to ask, lol! By "sell me on MSC," I was looking for people to tell me why they like MSC and choose to sail on the line. Lesson learned, next time I'll try to be more explicit!

BUT:

I don't agree that you get what you pay for. I don't think that NCL is a slight notch above in terms of quality, especially not Haven compared to Yacht Club.

Our first seven cruises were on NCL but right now I see no reason to go back. I don't mind to pay more for better quality but they are not better, I think.

This thread very much interested me. I have sailed on Celebrity, Royal Caribbean, Carnival, NCL and Azamara. The worst cruise I had on any cruise line was on the Carnival Triumph. I thought the MDR was not very good. The crew seemed really grumpy. But after 4 days things brightened up. I had 2 really great Carnival Cruises after that. I thought NCL was very good,but it's just not my first choice. My favorite line is Celebrity and I had a really crappy departure on one cruise. It happens. I think RCL was nice but I found the Allure class to be insanely huge. Azamara INMHO was simply amazing. We decided to try the MSC YC. The price seemed reasonable, I love Italy and Italian culture. So why not try an Italian line. The worst cruise was just fine for me and the DW. If you don't try you'll never know for sure.

First time on MSC Seaside last month and was impressed with MSC cruise line. We have 3 more cruises booked with MSC and are not going back to other cruise lines that we have sailed on in the past (Carnival, Princess, NCL, Norwegian). Someone said it best on another forum. With MSC you get Carnival prices with a Princess quality vacation.