Our Adventure on the Cove Balcony

RedLightVegas

This isn't a full review, just a quick little review and opinion on the cove balcony.

We just got off the Vista on Sunday. Before booking this we were determined to get a cove balcony. I researched locations (as I wanted to be in between lifeboats) and ended up booking room 2305, starboard side of the boat and in-between the first gap of lifeboats.

The cove is extremely private. When you lean out, you can't see into the person next door's balcony like you can with a standard balcony room. The balcony is spacious with more than enough room to walk around the two chairs and the table out there and the view down the side of the boat can't be beat.

Now, here goes the rest. Being close to the water line is awesome, sometimes. On the fifth night of our cruise we were sitting out, seas were a little rough (I think 6-8 feet). We'd just gotten ready for dinner, make up done, hair done, etc. Sitting out in the dark enjoying a pre-dinner drink when WAP! the wrath of Poseidon decided to make itself known. A large wave smacked the side of the boat and the very top of it came up over our balcony, soaking us both. We both sat there looking at each other like "WTH just happened?" when WAP! it happened again, except this time the wave brought Sargasso grass with it. We both get up and are standing there soaking wet with bits of grass all over us trying to decide if we should stay and see if it'll happen a third time, maybe this time bringing a squid or small shark with it....but alas, we went in. Both laughing and aggravated at the same time, got re-ready for dinner, and ended up going to get pizza.

The next night, the seas were also rough, and we heard water splash out against the window and door a couple of times (we had the curtains closed).

Also, a fair warning for anyone looking at room 2305, it's located under a crew service deck. 3-4 times they were out spraying that deck down and the runoff dripped down all over our balcony, soaking it in the process.

The balcony was constantly wet. Everything out there was sticky all the time, we'd go out there and sit in our robes since sitting in regular clothes resulted in a small layer of salt being left behind on everything. As a friend of mine said "Don't wear any clothes out there that you like...."

Chairs always had to be wiped off as well as the railing if you wanted to lean out on it. Overall, I think the idea of the cove is awesome and I know several people that LOVE them, but I don't think I found that love, at least with this room.

Hmm. On a ship, on the ocean, and you got wet. What are the odds? :rolleyes: Seriously though, I think it depends on the time of year. We typically cruise in May, and have had a cove balcony on two different ships. Once on the Breeze, and once on the Vista, and had no problems like those you've described. And we have a cove balcony booked for our upcoming cruise on the Magic. We love the cove balconies, and have no hesitations about booking one.

Thank you for that, we had looked at the possibility of getting a cove balcony on a future cruise. But now, I can just picture myself standing in line at guest services dripping wet, covered in seaweed, with a squid on my head. Think we might just stick with a higher up balcony. :D

Thank you for that, we had looked at the possibility of getting a cove balcony on a future cruise. But now, I can just picture myself standing in line at guest services dripping wet, covered in seaweed, with a squid on my head. Think we might just stick with a higher up balcony. :D

If you look on Carnival's "F.A.Q." section, this is the suggested attire for watching "Pirates of the Caribbean" on the dive-in movie screen. :D

If you look on Carnival's "F.A.Q." section, this is the suggested attire for watching "Pirates of the Caribbean" on the dive-in movie screen. :D

LOL! :')

"Oh wow man! Cool Davy Jones costume!!"

"Umm, no, I have a cove balcony"

:D

Appreciate the heads up, as we too had never booked a cove and had considered it. This alone would be the main reason it would not work for us. We enjoy eating breakfast and taking naps on ours and this would be a bad wake-up call [emoji23].

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We had a cove balcony a few years back.

My son who was 12 at the time, told me he never wanted a cove balcony again, and I had to agree with him.

It was always wet, and always wiping the chairs down. Feet were always wet, and so was railing.

I know people love them...but never again for us!