May Travelers

AshleyJax

Generally, I cruise in the summer time (when schools are out) so I expect families and children. This year, I will be traveling in May. For those who have traveled in May, did you notice a difference in the amount of children on the ship?

Nope I still only have my two children with me!

LOL same here. I tend not to pay attention beyond "lots of kids" or "not a lot of kids". Just care about mine. If there's a total terror, I'll pay attention, but luckily that's only happened once on a cruise ship.

I did an Alaskan cruise during May when I was pre-kids. Don't remember there being a lot as it was still during school time.

I did an Alaskan cruise during May when I was pre-kids. Don't remember there being a lot as it was still during school time.

There in lies the question. Is school out or not? We are doing a 5/27/19 Alaska cruise. I know that school is done by then here in Arizona as well as in Colorado where our granddaughters will be coming from but I know of some places where school runs into mid June.

Your question would depend on a few things..Will school still be in session in the area in and around the port you will be leaving from? If so, there will be few kids. If school will be out, there will be kids. I cruise almost exclusively in mid May, out of NYC or Boston. Kids are never a problem.

There in lies the question. Is school out or not? We are doing a 5/27/19 Alaska cruise. I know that school is done by then here in Arizona as well as in Colorado where our granddaughters will be coming from but I know of some places where school runs into mid June.

We did Alaska a few years ago, not on NCL, by the third week of May, and there were less than 20 kids on board. I pulled my daughter out of school to do it (we go through June in the northeast). I would be surprised if there were a good number of kids, it seems like there are fewer kids on Alaska cruises, at least, that's the impression I got from the young women running the kids program.

I will say, the lack of kids was not a problem. My daughter LOVED the almost one-on-one attention she got. And when the naturalist came on board while going through Glacier Bay she got to meet her, and they had a really cool program for them.

We are leaving out of NYC mid May. Most schools are still in session in NY and the surrounding area. As I have cruised during the summer time, I know I will be fine with kids and I doubt they will disrupt my vacation. But I will be traveling on the Escape, which is by far the largest ship I have cruised on, so I was curious.

Generally, I cruise in the summer time (when schools are out) so I expect families and children. This year, I will be traveling in May. For those who have traveled in May, did you notice a difference in the amount of children on the ship?

totally depends when in May: from late April until about the 20th of May there will be few kids on the ship but there are always some: After that the ship will be, just like summer, filled with them. This can be good or bad, depending on how parents handle their kids.

You really should have no worries. The crowd you want to avoid is the college spring break people. They almost always cruise the Caribbean not Alaska. You will be good. If you do end up on a ship with a larger number of children of whatever age you are concerned about, simply go the places where they are not and enjoy your cruise!

I partly agree with you but not totally: yes, the college kids on spring break or just out for the summer can raise cane, but let me tell you, the worst experience we ever had with kids was April last year out of NYC> There were 2254 kids on the Breakaway and about 1/2 of them were rude and out of control. I love kids for the most part, like to see them having a good time, but when they are misbehaving and parents either don't car or not paying attention it can be HELL!

I partly agree with you but not totally: yes, the college kids on spring break or just out for the summer can raise cane, but let me tell you, the worst experience we ever had with kids was April last year out of NYC> There were 2254 kids on the Breakaway and about 1/2 of them were rude and out of control. I love kids for the most part, like to see them having a good time, but when they are misbehaving and parents either don't car or not paying attention it can be HELL!

Sounds like you cruised during NYC schools spring break.

We’ve done Alaska in late May, mid August and September. Mid August -daughter was in hs at the time and ran into several classmates from high school. Lots of multi generation families. May and September- I don’t think any kids her age and looked like about 20 little people. May and September The younger kids were fairly absent from public areas unless they were participating in scavenger hunts... with kids club. August sailing kids seemed to be with their families more so than the kids club. Many west coast cities have mid June summer break. Perhaps coincidence that daughter ran into several people she knew but it did lead me to believe many families on summer sailings are local.