Cabins on Sun under observation lounge

elruth

I am booked on deck 11 Sun Mini suite and deck 12 observation deck is supposedly above me. The agent claims there would be no scraping of chairs etc. but now I see that in fact the observation LOUNGE has a dance floor and music. Also they are turning it into the Spinnaker Lounge which will replace the Observation Lounge. Has anyone here ever stayed in a mini suite that was under the observation deck ( lounge ) I think it seems it would be loud with music and a dance floor.

I am booked on deck 11 Sun Mini suite and deck 12 observation deck is supposedly above me. The agent claims there would be no scraping of chairs etc. but now I see that in fact the observation LOUNGE has a dance floor and music. Also they are turning it into the Spinnaker Lounge which will replace the Observation Lounge. Has anyone here ever stayed in a mini suite that was under the observation deck ( lounge ) I think it seems it would be loud with music and a dance floor.

As of this moment. The Sun is still in dry dock with the changes to the Observation Lounge taking placing. From the deck plans I have seen The Lounge is all the way forward on Deck 11 with the Bridge of the ship being under it on Deck 10. There are some suites on Deck 9 under the Bridge which would concern me. I am not sure about the Suites on the Sun, but on other Norwegian ships guests who have Suites under the Bridge are asked to keep their curtains tightly closed at night. The Bridge needs total darkness at night.

I've stayed in those deck 11 minis three times. I can't remember ever hearing noise from above. And although some changes might be made to the observation lounge at dry dock, the lounge has always been the same as the Spinnaker lounges on the Jewel class ships. Because of that, I think it is mostly a name change from its previously Starlight lounge name.

This was obviously before the drydock but we were on Sun in December.

We spent most of pour evenings in the Observation Lounge.

The acts up there were pretty subdued: Soft-pop Russian quartet, string trio from Poland etc.

The dance floor, in front of the little stage could accommodate aboiut three couples, four maximum.

The last set finished at 10:30-11.

During the daytime people sat up there and read.

Place was the Sahara Desert until 4-5pm.

The heavy, reading chairs were on carpet, with the exception of the dozen at the bar. Then, the bar was at the back of the venue (away from the bow of the ship).

As of this moment. The Sun is still in dry dock with the changes to the Observation Lounge taking placing. From the deck plans I have seen The Lounge is all the way forward on Deck 11 with the Bridge of the ship being under it on Deck 10. There are some suites on Deck 9 under the Bridge which would concern me. I am not sure about the Suites on the Sun, but on other Norwegian ships guests who have Suites under the Bridge are asked to keep their curtains tightly closed at night. The Bridge needs total darkness at night.

Unless they are making massive changes on the upper forward decks, the Observation Lounge-to-become-the-Spinnaker Lounge would be on Deck 12.

There are suites and cabins directly under on Deck 11, and these are *above* the Bridge on Deck 10.

We were in one of the OS on the Sun during an Alaska cruise 2 years ago.

We heard NO sound from above, although I don't know if we were under any dance floor/music area.

We had been more concerned about privacy on the balcony. However, unless we were at the very front edge of our balcony, we had privacy. If we stood all the way forward, against the railing, and looked up and back, we could just barely see people who happened to be at the very front edge of the area outside the Lounge.

Because it stayed light so late, and got light again so early, we had no problems with "lights in our suite" and the Bridge on the deck below. That could be different at different times of the year or different locales.

GC

• 2 weeks later...

I was in the forward most mini suite on the port side hardly heard noises from the lounge. Even when they had music. The droning noise that cruise ships make when they dock and cast off was more noticeable then the lounge above. Only the balcony railing is visible if you look over the side. The forward facing balconies are visable however

DH and I were in cabin 1202 (deck 11 forward) for 25 days. We could go out to the balcony railing, look up and see people on the deck outside of the observation lounge. We never had any issues. The only time we heard anyone was when we were going through the Panama Canal and we had the balcony door open. Then we heard the folks above us. Of all the ships and cabins, this one so far, the best.:D

I've sailed in 1002/1202 four times and I agree that they are among the best cabins I've stayed in. As for noise on those cruises, I didn't really notice anything other than a faint bass sound in the bathroom. My concern now is what they have done to the Observation Lounge directly above now that they converted it to a Spinnaker Lounge. I had the unfortunate experience of sailing on the Star in cabin 8170 on the first cruise after dry dock in 2010 when they moved the quiet shop area and replaced it with the Spinnaker Lounge. The music went on until 4:00 in the morning, and was loud and disruptive. Until the first reports come in, there's no way of knowing what to expect in these deck 11 cabins on the Sun.

My partner and I were neighbors to debnjoe1438 for the first 10 day leg of their 25 day cruise cabin 1203.

All the SUN deck 11 forward cabins are just under the outside observation deck - so I don't think that noise

is going to be too much a factor with the Spinnaker Lounge replacing the Observation (inside) Lounge.

The Observation Lounge played to 2-3 and 4 place combos playing light easy going memorable music.

Nothing heard in my cabin. Also noted the entertainment ended early on in the night 11pm.

What remains to be seen is how much boom box bit-a-bam-bam bass thunder is going to raise havoc now.

The Observation Lounge is or was not much bigger than Dazzles on deck 7 unless NCL tore out the Bar

the Chapel the restrooms and redid the whole deck 12 structure to gain a measly few square feet of space.

It was best left as it was a small quaint relaxing place enjoyed by most everyone who sailed on the SUN.

But now that the SUN is scheduled for Cuba cruises the theme will have changed and the SUN will have

lost some of its character. Que sera sera !