Oceania New Booking Commission - CDN Agents

ABoatNerd

Greetings everyone:

I have just booked our 2nd Oceania voyage (yeh!) and wish to transfer to a TA within the 30 day window.

Question - What is the commission $ amount a CDN agency would get on a $20,000 CDN booking for a sailing in March 2020?

Right now all I have got from a local TA is $400 OBC which seems insulting given the value of the booking.

I am prepared to transfer to a US agency because I am getting fed up with the paltry incentives from CDN agents.

Your analysis, perspectives and ideas would be gratefully appreciated.

Thank you

ABoatNerd

Usually, there is not one commission rate. Small sellers of Oceania could be paid far less than someone that specializes in them.

The other thing to keep in mind, there are very, very few US agents that can take an Oceania booking in Canadian Dollars.

There is not a one size fits all answer to the OP’s question. Oceania often offers its TA extra perks for filling certain harder to fill cruises over others. Those are passed down to the cruiser, My TA has often told me she can offer X, Y,& Z extra for these cruises, but not for others because of what O is offering them.

Different tiered Agents have different commission rates.

I’m well satisfied with the combo of perks and service provided by my TA. I do find it a bit seedy pressing for more kickbacks from their compensation. I don’t hit my State Farm Agent up for kickbacks from the commissions he makes, nor from my NW Mutual Agent. All these people live off the commissions we pay! I wonder if the OP demands kickbacks from his car salesmen and queries them on how much in commissions they make on the sale?

There exists a balance of service and perks we expect from our TA. Those levels differ between us all. If the OP’s only question is how large of a perk list can he get back, regardless of service, he should phrase it that way, so like minded cruisers can respond. Otherwise, the answer depends on service needs and expectations.

Check almost any travel agent's website and you see "best price guarantee, extra perks, exclusive benefits, blah, blah, blah" plastered on every page. Why shouldn't prospective clients ask to ensure they get the best deals?

I usually get a 9% rebate and complimentary gratuities from my agent. On my most recent booking the agent's offer was 9% rebate and $200 OBC. I did a quick search and found 3 agents that were delighted to give me a 9% rebate and complimentary gratuities for that itinerary. Bye bye, my previous travel agent.

I do find it a bit seedy pressing for more kickbacks from their compensation. I don’t hit my State Farm Agent up for kickbacks from the commissions he makes, nor from my NW Mutual Agent. All these people live off the commissions we pay! I wonder if the OP demands kickbacks from his car salesmen and queries them on how much in commissions they make on the sale?

I certainly understand this perspective. My view is that this is a business transaction, not that different from purchasing a house or a car, both of which (usually) involves negotiation. Sellers are in the business to maximize profit, buyers to maximize value.

I had a TA that I was satisfied with until one time I discovered, with the purser’s office help, that he was ripping me off. I then found another TA that has consistently offered me great service and value. I’ve been loyal to him ever since.

There is not a one size fits all answer to the OP’s question. Oceania often offers its TA extra perks for filling certain harder to fill cruises over others. Those are passed down to the cruiser, My TA has often told me she can offer X, Y,& Z extra for these cruises, but not for others because of what O is offering them.

Different tiered Agents have different commission rates.

I’m well satisfied with the combo of perks and service provided by my TA. I do find it a bit seedy pressing for more kickbacks from their compensation. I don’t hit my State Farm Agent up for kickbacks from the commissions he makes, nor from my NW Mutual Agent. All these people live off the commissions we pay! I wonder if the OP demands kickbacks from his car salesmen and queries them on how much in commissions they make on the sale?

There exists a balance of service and perks we expect from our TA. Those levels differ between us all. If the OP’s only question is how large of a perk list can he get back, regardless of service, he should phrase it that way, so like minded cruisers can respond. Otherwise, the answer depends on service needs and expectations.

I don't hit or demand kickbacks from my TA. There are some TA's who give rebates as their business model. In other words, they do a huge volume of business and that is just what they do. Just because the TA gives a rebate does not necessarily mean the service will be lacking.

Thank you for the information, most interesting, particularly the arrangement for the slower selling cruises.

For those of you who book with US TA's in US $ and get the many substantial incentives that I have read about here on the CC boards for all the cruise lines - please know that Canadians, British and often Aussie's do not have the same automatic good fortune.

You do not have to worry about currency conversion and benefit from economy of scale and amazing blessed American entrepreneurship. While others can also use US TA's, it is not as straightforward particularly if a cruise is 2 years out - where the currency conversion becomes significant.

I have worked with 3 separate CDN TA's over the past 5 years and never came close to receiving the incentives some of you have. One of them is a high volume Oceania agent aligned with Virtuoso.

Considering I am paying over 30% more for my cruise than Americans and receive little incentives for an expensive booking, I am displeased.

I book with a US TA & book in CAD or USD

I just compare the exchange rate that I get here & the Rate Oceania is using at the time

our latest cruise was not much different so I booked in CAD

shop around

Thank you for the information, most interesting, particularly the arrangement for the slower selling cruises.

For those of you who book with US TA's in US $ and get the many substantial incentives that I have read about here on the CC boards for all the cruise lines - please know that Canadians, British and often Aussie's do not have the same automatic good fortune.

You do not have to worry about currency conversion and benefit from economy of scale and amazing blessed American entrepreneurship. While others can also use US TA's, it is not as straightforward particularly if a cruise is 2 years out - where the currency conversion becomes significant.

I have worked with 3 separate CDN TA's over the past 5 years and never came close to receiving the incentives some of you have. One of them is a high volume Oceania agent aligned with Virtuoso.

Considering I am paying over 30% more for my cruise than Americans and receive little incentives for an expensive booking, I am displeased.

If you find the right US TA you can get a rebate on your cruise.

I used the term “perks” in describing certain benefits We receive from our TA.

Rebates is normally associated with cash back. Besides Refundable OBC, which can yield cash back, we have received a laundry list of perks, from our TA, over the years including PPG, La Reserve reservations, upgraded drinks package, pre or post hotel nights with transfers, and a paid upgrade to PH from an O offer. She has not, and will not, write a rebate check back to us. Do we consider ourselves well taken care of ? Yes! If you are one that only wants hard cash , in the form of a rebate, in your hand from your TA, you should make that clear upfront.

I will also add , she likewise provides wonder service and perks with our Uniworld River cruises. She isn’t a one trick pony!

What all of us want and expect from our TA varies immensely!