Hip replacement surgery and airline security

lauren0309

My husband just had total hip replacement surgery. We are flying to Orlando in April (to break up the wait for our cruise next January). Has anyone had any experience with getting through airline security and setting off alarms because of their new hip. Do you call the airlines beforehand?

I've had both hips replaced and set off the alarms everytime. I also have full steel shanks in my tennis shoes (arthritic feet). I have a card from my surgeon, but TSA agents don't even look at it so I don't even show it anymore. They just call "female assist" and send me to the side. No problem. I don't take my shoes off till after going through the archway because I know I'm going to beep anyway. Then an agent sends my shoes through x-ray.

My wife has an artificial knee, and we have flown several times, going through security gives a big laugh at times, as she sets off the alarms. My wife explains why the alarm rang on her, as her cane is going through the xray machine. Security calls for a female assist, and she pads my wife down, and uses the wand on her. The wand goes nuts when it goes by her knee. It takes an extra few minutes to go be on our merry way. As far as a note from dr's, you don't need it. They won't read it or trust it....you will still be padded down.

Enjoy your trip!

Just take a note from your doctor on his letterhead.

They will see his new hip in the xray machine anyway!

What X-Ray machine?

You must travel somewhere that I don't. TSA does not X-Ray people.

DH's chest is wired together due to sextuple bypass surgery and he makes all the bells and whistles go off whenever we go through airport security. He carries a card, but nobody ever looks at it, they always have him step aside, show his scar and wand him down. When DH had his surgery, he was assured that the wires holding his breastbone together would not cause a problem with metal detectors ... wrong! Oh well, if that's the least of our worries, we're doing pretty well!

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

DH's chest is wired together due to sextuple bypass surgery and he makes all the bells and whistles go off whenever we go through airport security. He carries a card, but nobody ever looks at it, they always have him step aside, show his scar and wand him down. When DH had his surgery, he was assured that the wires holding his breastbone together would not cause a problem with metal detectors ... wrong! Oh well, if that's the least of our worries, we're doing pretty well!

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Interesting--my hubby's chest is wired, too, but has never set off any alarms in the 7 years since his surgery! I wonder if there are different types of wire that are used to close the sternum?

• 2 weeks later...

I work for a busy orthopedic surgeons group and we have lots of requests for the ID card after joint replacement. We try to tell patients that they usually are worthless and that they will be wanded when they set off the alarms. The patient usually insisits that we fill them out, which we do. The patient tries to show them at the airport without any success. Then come back to tell us that the card was worthless and that they have the wand used on them. Oh the joys of traveling!!!!

Archived