42 Days On the Diamond - Travelog of Oceania to Japan Cruises

ccrain

As is my habit, I like to turn my Live Froms into an illustrated travel log. In this case we did a 4 day pre-cruise in Sydney, an 8 day Tasmanian Cruise, a 12 day New Zealand Cruise and then a 22 day re positioning cruise from Sydney to Tokyo - capped off by 5 days in Tokyo. We started for Sydney on the 24 of February 2018 and got home on the 18th of April.

So we spent 42 on the Diamond. Not our longest cruise, but we got to see so many new ports. Only one was a complete repeat (Hong Kong) and even then we did something new and exciting.

So here's the link to the PDF - please enjoy:

https://1drv.ms/b/s!AnklLO6ZVH8FsHB5mApHpnGYIVwj

Which you have to cut and paste for some reason into the URL address...

Edited by ccrain
Link not automatically clickable

Very nice travelog! I am inspired to do something similar on my 7-day cruise! What did you use to make it, before turning it into a PDF and uploading it to OneDrive?

Just microsoft word. It's page layout is pretty simple to use now.

That is awesome. Not everyone realizes how powerful MS Word can be. I had an internship way back in college, programming Word and Excel to automatically produce scientific documents. There is some awesome power in there.

And you put it to good use on that travelog! I have only read through about a third of it so far, but I love your writing style and the way you portray the places you went and the people you met.

That is awesome. Not everyone realizes how powerful MS Word can be. I had an internship way back in college, programming Word and Excel to automatically produce scientific documents. There is some awesome power in there.

And you put it to good use on that travelog! I have only read through about a third of it so far, but I love your writing style and the way you portray the places you went and the people you met.

I cut my teeth on page layout on a timeshare system in 1981 with an electrostatic printer. Don't remember the actual program, but it did TWO COLUMNS!

then it was some kind of word processing software on a stand alone machine the admin used and had 8" floppy disks. Then we graduated to personal/desktop word processing on Atari 128XLs, IBM 8086 to 80286 processors using early Wordperfect, then to Apple Macs/Lisas and Apple Write, back to the dark side of IBM and MS Word (in less than 5MB chunks) to Framemaker and then when Word grew up about 10 years ago we did heavy duty document layout on Word from then on...

You cannot begin to appreciate today's software and hardware without experiencing swapping 82kB 5 1/4" floppies when you print out your technical report from the word processor in order to manually insert IBM selectric equations printed on white stickyback correction tape...only to find out one entire paragraph is missing from the 3rd page...and having to start all over again!

I cut my teeth on page layout on a timeshare system in 1981 with an electrostatic printer. Don't remember the actual program, but it did TWO COLUMNS!

then it was some kind of word processing software on a stand alone machine the admin used and had 8" floppy disks. Then we graduated to personal/desktop word processing on Atari 128XLs, IBM 8086 to 80286 processors using early Wordperfect, then to Apple Macs/Lisas and Apple Write, back to the dark side of IBM and MS Word (in less than 5MB chunks) to Framemaker and then when Word grew up about 10 years ago we did heavy duty document layout on Word from then on...

You cannot begin to appreciate today's software and hardware without experiencing swapping 82kB 5 1/4" floppies when you print out your technical report from the word processor in order to manually insert IBM selectric equations printed on white stickyback correction tape...only to find out one entire paragraph is missing from the 3rd page...and having to start all over again!

Wow, I bet that was quite the chore! I actually had email at that first internship, and in the CS department at school. So it wasn’t quite that bad!

Wow, I bet that was quite the chore! I actually had email at that first internship, and in the CS department at school. So it wasn’t quite that bad!

Yep, when the 3.5" 1.2MB floppy was introduced we thought we could rule the world!

Yep, when the 3.5" 1.2MB floppy was introduced we thought we could rule the world!

But... Do you remember when the new "huge" hard disks came out?

enhance

talk to me about programing in cobol and fortran using punch cards...;p

yeah, i'm old(er)

That is so awesome! My dad did that in his school days. He isn’t even retired yet, so it isn’t that much older. He always says, if he weren’t already a senior at the time (and married with kids), he would have changed majors to CS. He eventually had two kids go through the Computer Science BS program. Me in the nineties, and my little brother more recently.

yeah, i'm old(er)

Fortran IV punch cards, 1st year of college...oh if I knew then what I know now...

yeah, i'm old(er)

Oh ... ME TOO! lol

I took the very first programming course offered at my college. And did spend my career in computer science.

Some important things to always remember ... like the period at the end of the line of code!

And, no, fortunately never dropped the stack

But I remember doing backups on punched paper tape. Anyone remember the rolls of carefully labeled and stored tape, held with a rubber band?

• 1 month later...
I'm waiting fort someone to ask "What's a selectric?"

I remember one joker who watched two hardware technicians take apart a Selectric to repair it. As he walked by, he threw an extra screw into their pile of parts.

Of course when they reassembled the Selectric there was one screw left over. Figuring they had reassembled it incorrectly, they took it all apart a second time and then put it back together with the same result of an extra screw. Since it worked, they did not take it apart again.