What does lower berths actually mean?

khlim2005

I am about to embark on Dream Cruise - World Dream and was wondering about its terminology.

From official brochure, i found the following:

> Stateroom: 1,686

> Guest Capacity: 3,376 lower berths.

https://info.dream***************/en/cruise-ship/pdf/WDR_Brochure_Ver1.1_EN_Preview.pdf

Initially i thought its just mean double occupancy, however 1686*2 give 3372, so where's the missing four?

I am about to embark on Dream Cruise - World Dream and was wondering about its terminology.

From official brochure, i found the following:

> Stateroom: 1,686

> Guest Capacity: 3,376 lower berths.

https://info.dream***************/en/cruise-ship/pdf/WDR_Brochure_Ver1.1_EN_Preview.pdf

Initially i thought its just mean double occupancy, however 1686*2 give 3372, so where's the missing four?

Probably just that the beds are all on the floor. No upper bunks.

Upper and Lower Berths are old terms that apply to the location of beds. Lower Berths are on the floor (deck) while "Upper" Berths are above. On modern cruise ships some cabins will have 1 or 2 uppers berths which either fold out of the wall (bulkhead) or drop down from the ceiling. In most cases they are used for a 3rd or 4th person who is sharing a cabin.

Hank

Thanks all for you response!

I got it, it's due to the 2 (penthouse) suite that come with two bedroom.

So lower berths is the standard double occupancy base on number of beds.

However, over 80% of World dream cabins come with third (sofa turn bed) and fourth (Pull down); that mean its higher berths (number not publish) around 5000 range.

For those not familiar, World dream belong to Dream Cruise, under Genting group. She have another ship, Genting dream, currently homeport Singapore year round. Both ships' new and huge, around 151t.

Thanks all for you response!

I got it, it's due to the 2 (penthouse) suite that come with two bedroom.

So lower berths is the standard double occupancy base on number of beds.

However, over 80% of World dream cabins come with third (sofa turn bed) and fourth (Pull down); that mean its higher berths (number not publish) around 5000 range.

For those not familiar, World dream belong to Dream Cruise, under Genting group. She have another ship, Genting dream, currently homeport Singapore year round. Both ships' new and huge, around 151t.

Yes, maximum capacity is less well published figure, but I've found some that list the Dream at 4500 max capacity. This is the maximum number of passengers that are allowed due to lifeboat seating capacity. There will always be more "berths" (beds, pull-out couches, pullmans, etc) than the maximum capacity, to allow those who wish to book more than two to a cabin to have a choice of different categories. So, even on a "sold out" cruise, there will still be bunks unoccupied.

Currently, the two Dreams are 17th and 18th on the list of largest cruise ships, by GT.