Blue Collar Diamond's review of Jewel's last Southern Caribbean cruise from San Juan

At least most of you got the memo [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Speaking of getting the memo, that reminds me of two things. The online notice of the meet and mingle event has been broken for almost 2 years now. Having been a victim of not getting any notice before, this was a topic in our roll call. Recent Jewel cruisers reported that they got notices of the event in their cabin on day 1. That happened for us on Adventure last year. Those of us in the roll call made a pact to communicate with each other in case the notices didn't come. They weren't there the first morning, but after the first night turn down service, there was a note announcing the M&M was the next day from 4-5 in the VCL. The bad part was all-aboard was 4:30 and this was the only port that we used a Royal Excursion. While they may wait for you to come back to the ship, they won't hold the Meet and Mingle for you. Our excursion was a bit late getting back and it was about 4:45 before I got there. It turns out the Cruise Director was in attendance and was asking for me!

I did miss most of the event, the drawings were over, and of course the people who were there for only that drawing were gone. After a nice welcome from the Cruise Director I found a young couple we were hoping was still there. In the last months of our roll call a young lady from Oklahoma joined us. She was getting married and they booked this cruise for their honeymoon. While doing her research she found cruise critic and our roll call. We quickly adopted her into our group and hope we provided some good insight. We were a little nervous for them as they were getting married on Saturday, boarding a 6am flight on Sunday to San Juan and boarding the cruise. We were happy to see they made it. We would see them several times and I hear they had a great honeymoon.

I do follow the ACTIVE CRUISE DIRECTORS thread and for a long time it wasn't known who our Cruise Director would be. (If you don't care who your Cruise Director is, that's fine, I'm proud of you) At a local travel show in January, a local CD who works for Royal. told me he thought it was going to be a new guy brought over from Costa named Andrea Oliveri. I did a little research (Stalked him) and found he had a Facebook page related to his work at Costa. At first I just asked him if he was coming to Royal and would be our CD. He confirmed this and asked me a few questions. After a little back and forth I invited him to the Meet and Mingle. After a very pleasant conversation, he mentioned, "Wednesday is your anniversary correct?" After confirming, he said to expect a little something in our Cabin.

There was a 7pm adult version of the comedy show that evening. I was suprised to see the adult version that early, so we went before dinner. Louis Johnson did a great job and we really enjoyed it. 3 or 4 rum punches in the DL probably helped that. We ended the night with another dinner with all 6 of us in the MDR. The service continued to be good and the food acceptable. Another night where the hot tub, not the jacuzzi, was closed in the solarium. Next up one of my favorite islands and beaches - St Martin and Orient beach. I will post a link on youtube to videos I made of the 13 mile or so drive from the port to Orient. I wore my gopro on my chest while driving up figuring people might like to see the current condition of the island.

Edited by BillOh

Are there supposed to be photos? BillOh keeps referencing to them, but nothing is here.

They are there, its a Toledo, Ohio thing, you must state your allegiance to Ohio State and deny all things Michigan to see the photos. Are you viewing at work or home?

When I sailed Jewel in 2014 she docked aft inward several times, I remember the group of Arizona cruisers we were with then had a banner on their aft balcony.

Speaking of banners, I previously mentioned RedSoxgirl got upgraded to the Owner's suite so she didn't have to choose between her RedSox, Patriot, Bruins, or Boston Strong banner, she put them all up. I went to take a picture of it and they were gone. She was told, and take this for what its worth, "There is a new Royal Policy stating banners are not allowed. Her Genie told her that recently someone tried to hang up an "objectionable banner" so now, none are allowed.

They are there, its a Toledo, Ohio thing, you must state your allegiance to Ohio State and deny all things Michigan to see the photos. Are you viewing at work or home?
But I like Michigan [emoji24] [emoji24]

Anyway, I am using the Forum app. Oddly enough, your photos are now loading. Carry on!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Forums mobile app

Speaking of banners, I previously mentioned RedSoxgirl got upgraded to the Owner's suite so she didn't have to choose between her RedSox, Patriot, Bruins, or Boston Strong banner, she put them all up. I went to take a picture of it and they were gone. She was told, and take this for what its worth, "There is a new Royal Policy stating banners are not allowed. Her Genie told her that recently someone tried to hang up an "objectionable banner" so now, none are allowed.
It only takes 1 jerk to ruin it for others...

To add to what Bill said about the meet & mingle, I never did receive the notice so I went to guest services and they called the group people and they said to just show up-so I did and there were no problems. My addition to St. Croix...I had decided to make it a beach day and we headed to Sandcastle, a small hotel with it’s own beach. The shuttle from Fredericksted was $6 per person and the day pass was $10 per person. For $32 we got a nice day at a really nice beach.

But I like Michigan [emoji24] [emoji24]

Anyway, I am using the Forum app. Oddly enough, your photos are now loading. Carry on!

That forum app has been squirrely for me recently , it won't remember my login information and makes me log in each time, though it notifies me when I have replies.

I think the forum is having issues loading pictures, most look like panoramic images 1/2" tall for me.

I look forward to the rest of your review, particularly St Maarten, where we are going in January for the first time.

To add to what Bill said about the meet & mingle, I never did receive the notice so I went to guest services and they called the group people and they said to just show up-so I did and there were no problems. My addition to St. Croix...I had decided to make it a beach day and we headed to Sandcastle, a small hotel with it’s own beach. The shuttle from Fredericksted was $6 per person and the day pass was $10 per person. For $32 we got a nice day at a really nice beach.

I think I met you at Guest Services when you were asking about the Meet & Mingle! I was actually handling another crisis (caused by our Travel Agent - Yikes!) and completely forgot to ask about the M&M invite! I was disappointed because I wanted to meet all of the nice folks I've been talking to! I did run into Eddie in the Windjammer and he invited me and one of the people I was traveling with up to see the Owner's Suite! I think my friend Rick went, but I had to meet another person from our group so I never did get to see it!

I think I met you at Guest Services when you were asking about the Meet & Mingle! I was actually handling another crisis (caused by our Travel Agent - Yikes!) and completely forgot to ask about the M&M invite! I was disappointed because I wanted to meet all of the nice folks I've been talking to! I did run into Eddie in the Windjammer and he invited me and one of the people I was traveling with up to see the Owner's Suite! I think my friend Rick went, but I had to meet another person from our group so I never did get to see it!

You did and all we had to do was show up. This was the second time on Jewel that I didn’t get the invite, but at least this time I didn’t miss out.

Coming up, Day 2 and our first ever visit to St Croix. I apologize, I meant to upload the St Croix pics last night, but we got invited out to dinner and after our hottub soak, I crashed. Speaking of hot tubs, here was my only real disappointment of the cruise. My wife and I have owned our own hot tub since 2003. As an arthritis sufferer and having occasional insomnia, the hottub is a miracle. (If you don't like human tea, that is your problem!) But frequently Royal Carribean and their hottubs disappoint! After getting Majesty turned around, I was very disappointed in Jewel. Every night at 9pm they would close the solarium hot tub. The two tubs on the main pool deck were barely 99 degrees and full of movie watchers. This was my biggest complaint of the entire cruise, but yet we had a great time.

Interesting, here in SC, the State regulates the temp. in hot tubs to be 104 degrees, IMHO anything less is warm bath water.

Interesting, here in SC, the State regulates the temp. in hot tubs to be 104 degrees, IMHO anything less is warm bath water.

Your tub may have a secret way to turn the temp up to 106. Mine does, it gets used in the winter.

Sorry for the delay! For the past 11 years I've used the same picture hosting site and it has been almost flawless, but for the 2nd year in a row it has had problems around my review time.

St Croix night was also formal night and my great cruise was about to have its first, and only disaster of my own making. I did wear jeans on boarding day. I went to put on my formal pants and they didn't fit! I just grabbed two pair of pants for the cruise and threw them in my bag. This winter has been hard on me health wise with advancing arthritis and limited exercise, I put on 10 pounds since last cruise. I was sure I was going to be spend my dinners in the WJ. I had a dinner planned in Chops for our anniversary and I wasn't going to wear jeans there.

My wife saved the day, she suggested shopping in the centrum for a pair of pants. I thought there was no way on a small ship like Jewel that I would find a pair my size, but I did end up using $45 in OBC for a nice pair of Nautica pants that were my size. Cruise Crisis averted!

Tuesday was St Martin day, one of my favorite Islands. About a year before our cruise, I did a search and found out we were in every port alone, ship wise, except here in St Martin where the yet to be released MSC Seaside would be in port with us. Here are a few photos of her.

seaside5.jpg

seaside1.jpg

seaside3.jpg

...Tuesday was St Martin day, one of my favorite Islands. About a year before our cruise, I did a search and found out we were in every port alone, ship wise, except here in St Martin where the yet to be released MSC Seaside would be in port with us. Here are a few photos of her.

Curious as what you mean by "...yet to be released..."?

When I started talking with those people she hadn't been christened or had her maiden voyage.

Ok. We did a B2B cruise on the Celebrity Equinox 24 March and 31 March of this year out of Miami. The Sea Side was there in Miami with us and was at a few of our other ports of call with us. Thanks for taking us along on your cruise. The Jewel is a favorite of ours.

Hey Bill, what camera lenses did you bring on your trip with you? I noticed earlier on you were using a telephoto lens, do you think it got enough use to lug it around with you? I’m contemplating whether I should bring my 70-200mm or leave it home.

I was using a Tamron 18-400. Outside its pretty good, my Canon 28-300 is much better indoors.

Wow! We’re in 9652 in September so appreciate seeing what the hall looks like. Your balcony looks far superior to ours tho [emoji6]

Speaking of that hall, I wish I would have gotten a video of it. When there was moderate seas, you could see that hallway twisting!

Once I got done photographing the Seaside, I noticed the immediate port area looked pretty good, it was early and many of the shops weren't open yet. We walked past the port exit and started the .5 mile walk to our excursion. A lot of the damaged shipping containers were in the yards along the way, this was the first sign of hurricane damage we saw.

sxmds.jpg

sxmportdamage.jpg

This was our destination.

canam1.jpg

This was my ride.

canam2.jpg

As mentioned earlier, this excursion is up and running as of February of this year.

Edited by BillOh

I had forgotten what time we told SXM Spyder we would arrive, we ended up getting there about 20 minutes early. A guy running a nearby ATV rental volunteered to call him for us. He arrived about 10 minutes later and lined up our rides.

In my correspondence with the rental company I mentioned that I had been to the island 5 times previously, but have never drove here. I asked if there was a power source for me to bring my GPS, which I would have to load new maps for. They thought this was a great idea for their business and bought a small GPS and provided it to me free for the idea. It was programmed with an Orient Beach Address and the return point. I was comfortable with the area, but it sure helped, though the area he programmed, as you might see was a gated community, not Club Orient.

Here is Gina and I.

canam3.jpg

Lisa and Eddie from our roll call went with us.

canamlisaeddie.JPG

Gina and I had test drove the Spyder back in 2013, and Lisa and Eddie were bike owners. They gave us some lessons and gave us an area to get comfortable with the machines.

canampractice.jpg

How embarrassing would it have been to drive it into the ocean? :eek: