Princess Excursions - Packed or Worth it?

I prefer private tour guides. We have gotten many through the years that were cheaper and so much better than some of the Princess excursions we’ve done.

If you book the private tours based on recommendations in Cruise Critic posts, you are likely to have a great tour guide.

If you book a Princess excursion, your tour guide may be good or poor, but there is no way to know in advance.

We have been on Princess tours when our guide was not good at all, but those on another bus had a fantastic guide.

Fortunately, ships tours are not compulsory in St. Petersburg. There are several very reputable tour companies like DenRus, Alla and more that I can't remember the names of. They arrange a group visa, you don't have to do anything. They take small groups in air conditioned vans or minibuses, and will let you set the itinerary if you want.

That's what we did, and when talking to people who did the ship's tours, we saw much more and were much more comfortable.

St. Petersburg is the prime place for going independent.

That is good to know. Thanks.

I would double check your plans for Antigua. Nelson's Dockyard is fabulous and, of course, Antigua has 365 beautiful beaches, but the last time I was in Antigua the action at Shirley Heights was on a Sunday. It started around supper time so people could catch the view and the sunset. They had a steel band, outdoor barbecue and dancing and the pub was open. Not sure what would be available on a Tuesday. I remember it was really expensive for a taxi from the resort to the Heights and back. Around $80 US. Hope this is helpful.

I find the Princess tours to be over priced and over crowded.

You left out that they also spend too much time at shops that kick back money to Princess so that they bring their tour groups there. Also, if they go to a restaurant, they go to a tourist oriented instead of a locals restaurant that also kicks back money to Princess.

DON