Train from Seward to Anchorage

Mountaineer0313

My husband and I will be sailing into Seward on August 31st. I'm looking at the train schedule and the price of the domed glass car is double that of the non domed car. For those who have been on the train, is the price difference worth it? If we don't book the domed car, is there still ample opportunity to go outside and take pictures, look around, etc?

In my experience, no. I do like the dome car and I love the personalized service, and the food is great! I also like how the outside area is on the top rather than the bottom. Someone told me that the RR will charter some of the cruise line's dome cars if theirs get full and the other way around.

I don't think it's worth it though. The regular RR has outside areas at the end of each car, they have a raised dome area that they limit seating to ~30 minutes (I think). The food is still good and they have nice commentary. It's about a 4 hour train ride and it goes by quickly either way.

Great! thank you! I just didn't want to spend the extra money when it could go towards something else if I could get close to the same experience for less :)

In my experience, no. I do like the dome car and I love the personalized service, and the food is great! I also like how the outside area is on the top rather than the bottom. Someone told me that the RR will charter some of the cruise line's dome cars if theirs get full and the other way around.

I don't think it's worth it though. The regular RR has outside areas at the end of each car, they have a raised dome area that they limit seating to ~30 minutes (I think). The food is still good and they have nice commentary. It's about a 4 hour train ride and it goes by quickly either way.

FWIW, never been before but we're doing a 10-day DIY land tour from Fairbanks to Seward (with the help of a tour company) and using the train to get from city to city the entire way before our Southbound cruise. After much research, opinion-gathering, and cost-analysis, we're also going with the cheaper option. This might be one of the only parts of the trip where my wife let me trim the cost. :eek:

For our trip, the difference was $104 ($212/$108) per person.

I looked at it this way. The price includes dinner. At $30 per person, the difference becomes $74.

Here is the summary from the website:

Alaska Railroad GoldStar Service

What It's Like: Gold Star cars offer a significant service upgrade. These double-deck luxury coaches are lined with crystal, original Alaskan art, and gold. The glass-domed upper deck provides constant 360-degree views in forward-facing, reclining seats along with a private open-air viewing deck on the upper level, the only one of its kind in the world. GoldStar Service includes in-seat beverage service, full-time bar attendant, full-time tour guide, and preferred seating for dinner. Why You Might Like GoldStar:

• Double-decker domed car
  • All seats face forward and can be turned to create groups of four
  • One of a kind outdoor viewing deck is on upper level, with a glass roof overhead
  • Complimentary non-alcoholic beverages served at your seat
  • Priority seating in the first-class dining room on lower level
  • Alaskan tour guides provide live commentary

Drawbacks:

• Cost
  • Fills up fast, early booking recommended

Alaska Railroad Adventure Class

What It's Like: Adventure Class on the Alaska Railroad is a traditional seat next to a large picture window. You can grab time in two shared-seating domed cars The Alaska Railroad trains a select group of Alaska high school students as tour guides (on both Adventure Class Service and GoldStar Service), and they provide a lively commentary throughout the ride.Why You Might Like Adventure Class:

• You can walk through the AKRR coach class cars
  • The least expensive option on the train
  • Assigned seats
  • Alaskan tour guides provide live commentary
  • Open-air vestibules between the cars for taking photos and getting fresh air
  • On board dining service

Drawbacks:

• Dome seating is not confirmed, so you may have to wait for a seat to open on busy days.

so with Goldstar you get a forward facing seat, but with Adventure Class the seats are at a table so you could end up facing backwards for 4 hrs?

I haven't seen any pictures where they show seats facing backwards. The only thing I read is that gold star seats can turn. I have read reviews both ways where some say it's worth it and other say to save your money. I figured it's four hours on a train and our last thing to do before flying across the country after getting to Anchorage, so we're going for a little comfort and a little nicer trip as one final trip.

I haven't seen any pictures where they show seats facing backwards. The only thing I read is that gold star seats can turn.

I was looking at youtube video and from what I could see, the regular seats were all at a table with 2 pax on either side. The train is not something I plan to do; I'm just curious. Facing backwards would would trigger my motion sickness. I'm sure others would have the same problem.