Pricing - suites LESS than balconies

RoperDK

I've been cruising for a long time and on several different lines, but I have never seen this happen before. This pricing is on Carnival's site. I don't want to step on any of the forum rules, but was just curious about why this would be. Has anyone ever experienced this before? Any theories?

Dawn

I got a deluxe ocean view for 3 people for quite a few $$ less than an inside for our upcoming cruise. Now weeks later the insides are cheaper again.

I believe it's a demand thing. Balconies are probably selling better so the price is lower on suites at the moment to try to fill them.

Weird to see for sure, but it's a supply and demand type of thing. If there is a not a lot of balcony rooms left the price goes up, and at the same time if they are having trouble selling the suites that price will drop.

I got a vista suite on the Legend Jan 2020 partial Canal transit for $100 cheaper than a regular balcony. I’m freaking excited!! We have never had a suite before.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes, that is the cruise I was talking about! We booked a Vista suite yesterday, too. Couldn't believe the price. The cruise hasn't been available for booking for long either. We've cruised in suites and balconies many times and the suites have always been pricier.

Dawn

Yes, that is the cruise I was talking about! We booked a Vista suite yesterday, too. Couldn't believe the price. The cruise hasn't been available for booking for long either. We've cruised in suites and balconies many times and the suites have always been pricier.

Dawn

Dawn, what deck? We may be “neighbors!”

I assumed that maybe it was a glitch in their system. I saw it the day they released the itinerary for booking and hopped on it just in case it was an error and they changed it! I can’t wait to have that big old balcony to watch us go thru the locks, it’s going to be the perfect place to watch the transit. And with all the sea days on that sailing I figured we will really use that balcony and make it worth it. :)

Dawn, what deck? We may be “neighbors!”

I assumed that maybe it was a glitch in their system. I saw it the day they released the itinerary for booking and hopped on it just in case it was an error and they changed it! I can’t wait to have that big old balcony to watch us go thru the locks, it’s going to be the perfect place to watch the transit. And with all the sea days on that sailing I figured we will really use that balcony and make it worth it. :)

We are on deck 4. We sailed to Hawaii in that cabin on the Spirit years ago. It was amazing. I like deck 4 Vistas as they are totally covered, but all of them are nice. Which deck did you pick? You will be spoiled once you sail in one! All the suites - ocean, vista, and grand were priced so low couldn't believe it.

We booked one on deck 7. I like some sun, and I thought having cabins above and below us would be nice as less noise. Oh I’m so excited!!!!

Our friends had one on deck 7. Very nice! We are excited, too!

Dawn

I have seen this happen before. The stars need to align in just the right configuration though.

Could have a higher level balcony actually carry a higher price than a lower tier suite. It happens but I am sure rarely.

We haven't cruised in a couple years but I know that way back when, we had a Aft Corner balcony (wrap around balcony) that was actually quite a bit higher than the advertised suites at their lowest offerings. I figured it was due to the much larger size of our balcony vs that of any of the suites outside of the Captain's Suite.

It probably has a lot to do with supply and demand as well. Carnival and the other large cruise lines have selling their accommodations down to a very specific science I am sure. Its freaky how my vacation planner at CCL seems to always know precisely when to call me to make a offer. That cannot be by accident and neither can the prices he always has for me. I don't think I have ever passed completely on buying something when his calls come in. lol

I’m a TA and book many trips. I usuallly see this for last minute fares or when there is an over abundance of one type of room left while others are sold out. I will also say that I’ve seen it more on off season sailings though.

I got a vista suite on the Legend Jan 2020 partial Canal transit for $100 cheaper than a regular balcony. I’m freaking excited!! We have never had a suite before.

It’s funny you mention that. I got an Ocean Suite on the Vista this September for $50 less than a regular balcony. The family Harbors and Havana Cabanas were more expensive too. Maybe it’s a Vista class ship thing, they have a lot of new cabin types that other ships don’t have. So maybe that throws things off a bit. I’ve never seen it before either. But I’m not complaining about getting to try out our first suite. :D

We moved from a balcony to a jr suite obstructed view for less money on our trip in a few weeks on the Sensation. We always have done interior so this is a big change for us! I’m nervous for the obstructed view and if we made the right choice (but we couldn’t pass up the great deal)!

We moved from a balcony to a jr suite obstructed view for less money on our trip in a few weeks on the Sensation. We always have done interior so this is a big change for us! I’m nervous for the obstructed view and if we made the right choice (but we couldn’t pass up the great deal)!

I think you will find that the upgrade is well worth the money. I could never do an interior.

For me a cruise is all about relaxation and decompression. A balcony is a must have because I will spend a lot of time on it just watching the ocean pass by.

Enjoy your suite and don’t worry about the obstructed stuff. It will still be a whole lot better if a view than the interior 🤪

Well, the plot thickens....

I just went on Carnival's site to check pricing on the Jan 2020 Legend Partial Panama Canal sailing that I booked over the weekend and the sailing has disappeared from the site. My booking still shows just fine. This cruise has only been available for booking for a short time. I suspect that there was an error in how they priced cabins and they are now fixing it. We shall see.....

Dawn

We booked one on deck 7. I like some sun, and I thought having cabins above and below us would be nice as less noise. Oh I’m so excited!!!!

Congrats! You are going to love it, especially for Alaska!

Enjoy!

I get the whole supply and demand-based pricing. However, I don't think any of that makes sense to me that a balcony would cost more than a suite. I could be wrong. A suite is generally 50-75% more, right? Maybe the gap can close, but not go cheaper. I feel like it's a glitch.

It's not a glitch. It's just how their booking management system works. While it's not a regular occurrence that suites are less than a balcony, it happens. No glitch, no requiring proof from the OP, or anything sinister. It's quite common to have balconies sell for less than an Outside.

One thing to know is that if you see it then jump on it because it will quickly be gone.

Take care,

Mike

I get the whole supply and demand-based pricing. However, I don't think any of that makes sense to me that a balcony would cost more than a suite. I could be wrong. A suite is generally 50-75% more, right? Maybe the gap can close, but not go cheaper. I feel like it's a glitch.

Nope - not always. It depends entirely on the category of balcony compared to the category of suite. Compare the lowest category of balcony to the highest category of suite and your figures likely could be the delta. It's all itinerary, date and ship dependent how the numbers compare.

It's not a glitch. It is, as has been said repeatedly, supply and demand. I have been able to pick up a suite for less than a balcony a couple times what the stars aligned and the "sales" were offered.