Live from the Golden, Alaska SB, May 26-June 2

idahospud

Enjoying your updates!! Thank you!!! Looking at your patters it looks like There is not a comedian on board? Is that normal for Alaska cruises? I thought i remembered one on our last trip two years ago!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It's not normal not to have a comedian. They just have a guitar one this cruise.

Thank you for the update! Which company did you use for your sled dog adventure last time, (or is that not permitted on the boards?)

I had a bunch of non refundable onboard credit so I went through Princess. I don't know the name of the company, sorry! I think it was just called Skagway Sled Dog and Mushers Camp.

Skagway has been posted!

Thanks for posting! I asked a question on your blog regarding Chef’s table. I want to do this but is it hard to get a reservation?

I see the patters have posted information about it twice on this cruise alone, so maybe not?

Thanks for posting! I asked a question on your blog regarding Chef’s table. I want to do this but is it hard to get a reservation?

I see the patters have posted information about it twice on this cruise alone, so maybe not?

Also interested in chefs table. Does anyone know what time it usually starts? We would have to have our kids in kids programming.... thank you!!

I don't know the answer to that question. Maybe someone who has done it before could be more helpful than me on that one.

Generally, in Alaska it is not difficult. You find a lot of people who have never cruised before and are only on the ship because it is Alaska. These individuals usually don't take advantage of the pay for dining (unless it is included in a promo they booked under). You saw the multiple ads because they are often trying to fill a table to have Chef's table.

While every sailing can be different, I know some sailings in Alaska where they didn't even have a Chef's table as there were not enough interest.

Generally, in Alaska it is not difficult. You find a lot of people who have never cruised before and are only on the ship because it is Alaska. These individuals usually don't take advantage of the pay for dining (unless it is included in a promo they booked under). You saw the multiple ads because they are often trying to fill a table to have Chef's table.

While every sailing can be different, I know some sailings in Alaska where they didn't even have a Chef's table as there were not enough interest.

Oh I hope that doesn’t happen in two weeks.

I am loving your "live from" reports - thank you so much! We are excitedly counting down to our first visit to Alaska, and after 8 days on land we'll take the same SB cruise on the Golden that you are on now. The sneak-peek of where we will be in 1 month is making me extra excited!

I do have one questions that I'm hoping either you or someone else on this thread could help with. We are new to Princess, and the Golden. I have heard that there is a "swim against the current" / lap pool available (without charge) outside the spa area. I have also heard that the machine that makes it work may not be working. Can anyone elaborate or confirm?

Thanks so much,

I do have one questions that I'm hoping either you or someone else on this thread could help with. We are new to Princess, and the Golden. I have heard that there is a "swim against the current" / lap pool available (without charge) outside the spa area. I have also heard that the machine that makes it work may not be working. Can anyone elaborate or confirm?

Thanks so much,

I just checked. The swim against the current machine is gone. (See photo.) But the pool is nice and warm today!

IMG_1175.thumb.JPG.aa99d9a8a0909e84a72e412373d5546d.JPG

I just checked. The swim against the current machine is gone. (See photo.) But the pool is nice and warm today!

thanks so much for checking - and for the photo. I guess I'll have to get my exercise another way - and will hope for nice weather & a warm pool when we are aboard in July!

Well done. Just curious--are you being paid for your blog? You made reference to 14 stops at Ketchikan...are you some sort of travel professional?

Nope' date=' not being paid for my blog. We've paid out of our own pocket for every single trip, tour, cruise, flight, meal, etc. I've just added some ads this spring, but the blog is just me documenting my daily life and travels for the last several years. In fact, I started the blog when I had to take a leave of absence from work because of illness. Here is the first post ever back in 2011. It started as me taking a picture a day to help me get through life. I gave myself a goal to get through a year, but wound up with 1000 straight days of taking a picture a day and writing about it. I've now started a second career in writing.

Our first cruise to Alaska was for our 20th wedding anniversary. We've been back almost every year since, and sometimes we do two weeks at a time. This was our 15th cruise to Alaska. We live in Idaho so getting to Seattle or Vancouver is easy for us and since we book last minute we get super bargains.

We were in Icy Strait Point on last week's cruise instead of Ketchikan so only 14 visits to this port, but 15 to Juneau and 15 to Skagway.

Probably more info that you wanted, but there it is.

Edited by idahospud

Nope, not being paid for my blog. We've paid out of our own pocket for every single trip, tour, cruise, flight, meal, etc. I've just added some ads this spring, but the blog is just me documenting my daily life and travels for the last several years. In fact, I started the blog when I had to take a leave of absence from work because of illness. Here is the first post ever back in 2011. It started as me taking a picture a day to help me get through life. I gave myself a goal to get through a year, but wound up with 1000 straight days of taking a picture a day and writing about it. I've now started a second career in writing.

Our first cruise to Alaska was for our 20th wedding anniversary. We've been back almost every year since, and sometimes we do two weeks at a time. This was our 15th cruise to Alaska. We live in Idaho so getting to Seattle or Vancouver is easy for us and since we book last minute we get super bargains.

We were in Icy Strait Point on last week's cruise instead of Ketchikan so only 14 visits to this port, but 15 to Juneau and 15 to Skagway.

Yes, more info than needed, but thanks for sharing and being nice about it.

wow - that's good stuff! thanks for your very well done blog and the good information you're sharing. I appreciate well traveled travelers who are willing to help others out!

Nope, not being paid for my blog. We've paid out of our own pocket for every single trip, tour, cruise, flight, meal, etc. I've just added some ads this spring, but the blog is just me documenting my daily life and travels for the last several years. In fact, I started the blog when I had to take a leave of absence from work because of illness. Here is the first post ever back in 2011. It started as me taking a picture a day to help me get through life. I gave myself a goal to get through a year, but wound up with 1000 straight days of taking a picture a day and writing about it. I've now started a second career in writing.