First time cruising alone, 14 days , 8 islands , advice ?

Hi all. I'm a young guy when it comes to cruising alone just 27 will be 28 next winter for this 14 day cruise out of nyc on the NCL Escape.

I've cruised 3 times before with my now Ex Gf so have a good grasp of the cruise life.

I'm very much looking forward to trying this cruise out on my own still..

I booked us this 14 day cruise a few months ago, and since then we have broken up, however I still want to go on this cruise alone raTher then bring a newbie friend I'd like to spend some alone time meeting new people

I have a balcony room booked, drinks package, credits, and meals.

Should I book a similar package on the same cruise , save $400-$600 ($4900 total as of now for 2) and cancel the current one?

Or am I better off leaving the reservation as is, calling up and saying it's just me and maybe they will just credit the money or give extra ship credits? Either way I'll figure that out..

Tidr I'm single and going on my first cruise alone and have a great room, itinerary, the whole nine yards!!!!

Will there be any chance at me meeting cool and youngish single people/girls on a ship that leaves NYC in dead of winter for 14 days??

Or will it be all couples and elderly?

Cancel, and book a trip out of Miami in sprIng break instead?

I like the 8 islands , the ship, price everything

Will it be awkward being on the cruise myself meeting new people? Or chill?

I'll be 28 and like to think I'd be a very popular bachelor if it's not all couples..

The 8 islands are great tho and 14 days of peace , sun and sun out of NYC on the escape is something I'm still gonna do

Advice from you experts?

so if you get the same amenities let them know you are going solo

They may have solo cruisers meetings

I would also post on the NCL forum & the roll call

so if you get the same amenities let them know you are going solo

They may have solo cruisers meetings

I would also post on the NCL forum & the roll call

Yes I was hoping to just call them up and alter the current reservation, but can easily book a new one in a cabin next door and cancel the current one. Just wondering if I lose any bang for my buck by doing that without calling first which I will.

Really just hoping it's not awkward being alone on a ship full of couples, I think if I just relax , explore and lurk the bars at night to mingle I'll have a great time tho I hope

Can't wait!!!

I think you will find an older clientele. Very few people your age can afford a 14-day cruise and are rarely able to take that much time off work.

Longer cruises tend to attract older retired couples, or groups.

That was my biggest concern, thank you.

I guess it comes down to, I don't mind a quiet older crowd. As long as there is a small but prevalent 5-10% of the ship that would be in the demographic to wanna chill.

Also, for the thread ,

Is it safe and cool for me to do all my excursions alone through the cruise line? Or would it be better to find a partner on board or just take someone instead?

I really don't mind older quiet crowd if they don't mind me. I wouldn't even mind the lonely older widow traveler and I hope one scouts me out and seduces me lol but maybe that's just fantasy world?

You can do all your excursion thru the cruise line...safe as it can be!....and you'll be assured of having others to share the fun. If you don't mind doing stuff alone, you can probably save a good bit by doing things on your own...research your ports...most are quite easy to DIY!

I wouldn't even mind the lonely older widow traveler and I hope one scouts me out and seduces me lol but maybe that's just fantasy world?

Fantasy and somewhat offensive. The world is not like "The Graduate."

You can do all your excursion thru the cruise line...safe as it can be!....and you'll be assured of having others to share the fun. If you don't mind doing stuff alone, you can probably save a good bit by doing things on your own...research your ports...most are quite easy to DIY!

Yeah definitely don't mind the alone time at all I love it actually, as long as people are available when I want them to be

Anyone from NCL know if I keep my specialty dining package if I can get specialty restaurant room service ?

If not I'll likely request an extra $50 shore excursion credit per port instead of my dining package

Yes to have the same room location and similar perks/benefits it would be about $4200-$4300 instead of the current $4850 both prices include the pre paid service charges also
Assuming the 4850 is the price you booked for you and the ex the 500 difference is likely port fees & taxes as well as the service charge for her gratuities. It's 250 for what would have been her drink package charge.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Can always go a la carte for specialty dining..

For two people @ 4 meals it makes some sense but if I can't get some Cagneys delivered to my room then I might just go ala Carte and use the $50 per port (x8!!, $400) instead.

I love ncls options, hope they accommodate

Was gonna stay at a 5 star hotel the night before the cruise right next to the terminal probly too

Yeah definitely don't mind the alone time at all I love it actually, as long as people are available when I want them to be

Anyone from NCL know if I keep my specialty dining package if I can get specialty restaurant room service ?

If not I'll likely request an extra $50 shore excursion credit per port instead of my dining package

Only haven can get anything other than the room service menu in their rooms. Most of your questions are ncl specific and you'll be much better off asking there.

Assuming the 4850 is the price you booked for you and the ex the 500 difference is likely port fees & taxes as well as the service charge for her gratuities. It's 250 for what would have been her drink package charge.

Yup exactly! It's exactly that, $225 for beverage service charge $15 dining, and $200 prepaid service charge

So if I called and changed it to Solo, that's $450 (approx)

So $4826.56 (exact total) minus $450 would be about $4386 . When I look up Solo same room/beverage and extra $50 excursions (combinable with distancive voyages??) it comes out to 4,000 w/o the $200 prepaid service charge but including all other charges and fees

So I guess it's about $450 + cheaper to call and change it or rebook it and cancel

Only haven can get anything other than the room service menu in their rooms. Most of your questions are ncl specific and you'll be much better off asking there.

Thanks, well I was also trying to get General solo cruise travel advice and tips

I will definitely check out these NCL forums you speak of though for sure

Also, after I make this change..

Is it possible to change it again in the event I decide I wanna take someone and just pay the fees waived? I would think so .

95% just gonna go alone and go ALL OUT! Also wanna do Hawaii soon. You see, people my age spend their money on a lot of garbage, I just like to travel and blow my money that way

Yup exactly! It's exactly that, $225 for beverage service charge $15 dining, and $200 prepaid service charge

So if I called and changed it to Solo, that's $450 (approx)

So $4826.56 (exact total) minus $450 would be about $4386 . When I look up Solo same room/beverage and extra $50 excursions (combinable with distancive voyages??) it comes out to 4,000 w/o the $200 prepaid service charge but including all other charges and fees

So I guess it's about $450 + cheaper to call and change it or rebook it and cancel

You have to subtract out the taxes & port fees.

Yes, you can do almost anything on your own. However, a tour with local guide whether ship-sponsored or private adds an extra layer or two to the experience . They can answer questions, provide additional info, tell anecdotes, personal experiences, etc.. If you just want to look around wherever and read the plaque in front of the historic church, manor house, etc., then DIY is the way to go. Personally, since I have so little time there anyway, I like to get the most out of it that I can . It is (to me) worth spending the money. :)

Get on your roll call with NCL and get a sense of singles that are going on your cruise (I know only a fraction of passengers on a cruise use cc, but, at least you'd touch base with some people that are going on your cruise).

Also, I believe they do offer single meets at a bar for those interested in joining (check your dailies onboard).

• 3 months later...

A couple thoughts on your booking. You have 4 months before sailing (it used to be 3 months) to cancel or make changes to your booking. Check prices frequently under 1 guest to get a better deal. If you really want some flexibility, just cancel the original booking and rebook this cruise or another closer to sailing. You might get a lot better deal but you also risk not getting exactly what you want.

I've been on 4 solo trips since 2013 and never had a problem finding several people to do things with. The 7 day trips have a better chance of finding all age solos. I'm 55 now and went on a 12 day out of NYC last Dec. I would say most were 40s-60s with a few younger mixed in. There had to be at least 50 solos on that one.

It sounds like you have a lot of flexibility and unlimited cruising options. Some people would tell you to do back to back 7 day cruises so you have a new group of cruisers each week.

Edited by DaveL00