Wine on Royal Caribbean

squirrel500

RCCL - understood can bring 2 bottles per stateroom on board and use in MDR. How to chill it before dinner? I assume wine bottle will not fit in mini fridge(?) Will dining room hold your wine? Can you give it to them earlier in the day to chill? To put on ice when sit down will not be enough. Thanks

RCCL - understood can bring 2 bottles per stateroom on board and use in MDR. How to chill it before dinner? I assume wine bottle will not fit in mini fridge(?) Will dining room hold your wine? Can you give it to them earlier in the day to chill? To put on ice when sit down will not be enough. Thanks

You can go to the dining room when you board and ask them to chill it.

Note that wine brought from outside the ship is subject to a $15 corkage fee if brought to a public venue.

Your cabin steward will bring an ice bucket to chill the wine; larger than the normal stainless ice bucket. If you want daily ice in the cabin you just have to ask.

You might be able to fit in cooler. I am not sure. I usually just ask for a wine bucket with ice.

You can also take to the MDR and ask them to put your cabin number on it and chill. You may be charged a corkage fee; no consistency with this. You can also open yourself and carry to dinner.

To be clear, to avoid corkage fee, you open it in your room, pour into glasses and take the filled glasses into the MDR.

If you take the bottle in, even opened, you may be subject to a corkage fee.

The fee has nothing to do with opening the bottle, it has to do with the lost revenue from not buying it from the restaurant (and on land).

That said, very few people have been charged corkage on RCI.

You can go to the dining room when you board and ask them to chill it.

Note that wine brought from outside the ship is subject to a $15 corkage fee if brought to a public venue.

Hi, Bob,

I don't think you're right about additional bottles on RCI

I know Princess permit extra bottles with a levy of $15 per bottle (I use the word levy rather than corkage, because its charged on additional bottles brought aboard regardless of who opens them or where they're consumed, and I'm pretty certain that some other lines have a similar policy.

But I don't think RCI permit extra bottles for drinking aboard, period. (those bought ashore to take home will be "safeguarded" by security staff & returned to passengers sometime on the last full day).

This seems to be confirmed by an FAQ on their website. https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/charge-corkage-fee

On the other hand, I feel sure I learned of a change of policy and that no corkage would be charged on the two permitted bottles per stateroom if consumed in a public area, such as a dining room.

But that FAQ doesn't reflect that change of policy.

Did I dream it???

JB :)

Thanks for all the replies and advice. Didn't know you could request a large ice bucket for the wine for your room(!) Corkage fee $15 is on the RCCL blog https://www.******************.com/2016/02/04/bringing-wine-your-royal-caribbean-cruise but that's fine - pick up at local store before boarding and still save $$$$ v. buying on ship also says they will store unfinished bottles will ask if they can store bottles at beginning

Didn't know you could request a large ice bucket for the wine for your room(!)

Ask for champaign ice bucket. My steward brought one to my cabin on my last cruise. Fit my bottle of wine much easier!

Hi, Bob,

I don't think you're right about additional bottles on RCI

I know Princess permit extra bottles with a levy of $15 per bottle (I use the word levy rather than corkage, because its charged on additional bottles brought aboard regardless of who opens them or where they're consumed, and I'm pretty certain that some other lines have a similar policy.

But I don't think RCI permit extra bottles for drinking aboard, period. (those bought ashore to take home will be "safeguarded" by security staff & returned to passengers sometime on the last full day).

This seems to be confirmed by an FAQ on their website. https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/charge-corkage-fee

On the other hand, I feel sure I learned of a change of policy and that no corkage would be charged on the two permitted bottles per stateroom if consumed in a public area, such as a dining room.

But that FAQ doesn't reflect that change of policy.

Did I dream it???

You can most certainly take 2 bottles per stateroom on RCI of either wine or champagne - it's posted on their site AND we do it every time! No corkage fees if NOT brought to dining room.

You can most certainly take 2 bottles per stateroom on RCI of either wine or champagne - it's posted on their site AND we do it every time! No corkage fees if NOT brought to dining room.

Right, Gammie.

But it's not those 2 bottles per stateroom that I queried, it's whether you can take aboard any additional bottles if you pay corkage. Princess for example it's a yes, but for RCI on their website it appears to be a no.

To be accurate, corkage fees are may only be charged if you bring the BOTTLE to the dining room.

You may pour a glass in your cabin and bring you full glass to the dining room without any corkage fee.

That said, very few people report having been actually charged the corkage fee.

Right, Gammie.

But it's not those 2 bottles per stateroom that I queried, it's whether you can take aboard any additional bottles if you pay corkage. Princess for example it's a yes, but for RCI on their website it appears to be a no.

On RCI, NO.

2 per stateroom.

Corkage on RCI is only for bringing the BOTTLE into public venues. A glass of wine you poured in your cabin is not subject to corkage fees.