Tipping

Jjarlath115

If you are referring to European river cruises then the answer is no.

Local currency should be used, e.g. euros if in a country that uses them. Bus driver a couple of euros, guide 5 or 10 if really good.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Check your cruise line, many of them are now including tips for guides and drivers in your fare. When we travelled with Avalon a few years ago tipping was a norm, just checked their website and now included.

Uniworld includes guide & driver tips. Viking does not. Tip in Euros in Euro currency countries. Viking recommends Euro amounts, usually 2 Euros per person for guide and one for driver. I use 5E bills for most guides. Some folks do not tip at all. You may need Euros or whatever coins for public toilets, especially touring on your own. Many times guides advise you of freebies when you're touring.

Of the 8 countries I've river cruised thru, only 3 used Euros - Slovakia, Austria, and Germany. The other 5 - Romania, Bulgaria, Serbia, Croatia, and Hungary - used their own currency.

Roz

Uniworld includes guide & driver tips. Viking does not. Tip in Euros in Euro currency countries. Viking recommends Euro amounts, usually 2 Euros per person for guide and one for driver. I use 5E bills for most guides. Some folks do not tip at all. You may need Euros or whatever coins for public toilets, especially touring on your own. Many times guides advise you of freebies when you're touring.

Thank you for the info I had no idea you needed to pay for toilets good to know !!!;)

Question on tipping,

For bus drivers and guide host are American dollars acceptable?? Any info on tipping would be greatly appreciated....

By tipping you show your appreciation of a service delivered. To show courtesy to the serviceperson, of course first choice is to use the local currency (at least in a hard-currency country like the Eurozone). However, I never saw anybody rejecting USD.

By tipping you show your appreciation of a service delivered. To show courtesy to the serviceperson, of course first choice is to use the local currency (at least in a hard-currency country like the Eurozone). However, I never saw anybody rejecting USD.

For your 1 or 2 dollar tip (combined with whatever little bits of currency they collect) you are requiring them to make the effort to get to a bank or currency exchange (during opening hours). It is really inconsiderate.

A good way to appreciate the proper currency for tipping is to imagine that you are a guide for Europeans in the US and they tip you in Euros or pounds. Not very easy to convert to dollars, and you will inevitably lose some of your tip in the exchange rate you receive.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Question on tipping,

For bus drivers and guide host are American dollars acceptable?? Any info on tipping would be greatly appreciated....

We always tip in the local currency.

Think of it in this manner, if you were an American driving/guiding a group of European tourists through our country, wouldn’t you expect to be tipped in USD?

Sent from my iPad using Forums