New to Oceania...... a few questions.

welshfamily

My husband has just booked the New York round trip in July as my 60th birthday treat. Our two adult children are also coming. We are frequent cruisers with Azamara but have decided to try something new.

I have tried to search the boards.

We have already booked some ship excursions.

Please could someone answer a few questions for me.

Does Oceania have locals coming on board to answer questions for DIY excursions?

Where do you get your luggage labels from? Our TA thinks the port?

Is embarkation timed ? ( TA says not) and what time is disembarkment. We need to make sure our transfers are booked for the right time after factoring customs.

The last might seem a silly question. Do people use the main dinning room for breakfast? On all our Azamara cruises the Main dinning room has been almost empty at breakfast and it’s nice to be able to at least have a few people to exchange a greeting with.

Thank you

My husband has just booked the New York round trip in July as my 60th birthday treat. Our two adult children are also coming. We are frequent cruisers with Azamara but have decided to try something new.

Does Oceania have locals coming on board to answer questions for DIY excursions?

Where do you get your luggage labels from? Our TA thinks the port?

Is embarkation timed ? ( TA says not) and what time is disembarkment. We need to make sure our transfers are booked for the right time after factoring customs.

The last might seem a silly question. Do people use the main dinning room for breakfast? On all our Azamara cruises the Main dinning room has been almost empty at breakfast and it’s nice to be able to at least have a few people to exchange a greeting with.

Thank you

It varies by port the amount of information you will be given on board. Sometimes it is just a city map. I would not plan on this and do your preplanning prior to the cruise.

You get luggage tags with your final cruise documents. They are color coded and with your name and cabin number on them. If you don't have then, or you upgrade at the last minute, you can easily tell those at the dock you name and cabin and they will create a manual tag for you.

The embarkation is most definitely timed. Those in the large suites board earlier than those in basic balconies. There is never, or rarely, a long line if you show up at your appointed time. Show up earlier, and you may have to wait.

We eat breakfast in the dining room all the time. If you are in a hurry to get off the ship, then no. However, if you don't dock early, or on sea days, the dining room is great in the morning. They have many options that are not available in the Terrace, like lamb chops, which brings us in. And you don't need to dress up for breakfast. You can wear nice shorts in the dinning room for breakfast and lunch.

Kathleen

Edited by KS&JW

In some ports they do but the line is long to get questions answered better to do your research ahead of time

Where do you get your luggage labels from? Our TA thinks the port? About 2 months prior you will get a Cruise personalizer delivered to you if your TA specifies this or it can be sent to the TA who should forward it to you

In the back of the booklet are the luggage tags

Of course it is otherwise it would be a nightmare

Like other cruise lines Oceania will send a disembarkation form to your cabin a few days prior to the end of the cruise where you fill in the time you want off

then they send you luggage tags with numbers/colours which they will call on the last morning for disembarkation

Thank you

yes many people eat in the DINING room some prefer the Terrace (buffet) if they are in a hurry or Waves

Enjoy the cruise

First ... welcome to Oceania. At some ports there are representatives of the local tourist organization on board with maps and available to answer questions. Luggage tags are included with the big blue cruise book that you will receive before the trip. Embarkation time slots are by type of cabin or suite. During your cruise you will receive a disembarkation form and you can request a specific time to leave the ship (but no guarantee here). Usually the ship empties by 9am baring any delays. I’ll pass on the MDR question as we always eat in the Terrace Cafe for breakfast. We find it faster with great selections.

Reference breakfast in the GDR. We love breakfast there. On our last two cruises it didn’t open up early enough to eat there, plus get a relatively early start on our shore tours. We only ate there on sea days. If you are one that enjoys a relaxing breakfast, not exiting the ship for tours until past 10 am, if at all, then the GDR for breakfast is for you.