Book shows on Gem?

suemiks

• 3 months later...

There is no option to make reservation for any of the 4 listed shows also. I am 56 days before sailing and all the shows still says "not open for reservation".

Do guests need to book the shows?

If yes, then are we supposed to make the reservation after we board or can we do it beforehand online (like I did for my last cruise on the Escape)?

There is no option to make reservation for any of the 4 listed shows also. I am 56 days before sailing and all the shows still says "not open for reservation".

Do guests need to book the shows?

If yes, then are we supposed to make the reservation after we board or can we do it beforehand online (like I did for my last cruise on the Escape)?

Not on Gem.

Hi, dexddd. Missed you on the Escape!

Thanks for your reply here. Funny how different things are run on different ships within the same cruise line.

The difference in size of the ships is why entertainment is handled differently. The Gem is much smaller than the Escape and the entertainment venues are very different.

Thanks for your reply here. Funny how different things are run on different ships within the same cruise line.

The whole way that the entertainment works changed with the Epic. The difference is basically between ships before the Epic, and the Epic or later.

On the pre Epic ships there is a different show in the theatre every night, usually with an earlier or later show. The theatre is relatively large compared to the number of people onboard, so there is generally no problem getting to see the shows. No need for reservations.

On the Epic and later ships, the theatre is smaller compared to the number of passengers. The shows in the main theatre are repeated during the week and therefore there is need for some management of the numbers attending at each showing, which is why there is need for reservations.

There are also some shows in smaller venues around the ship, like the dinner show, which also require reservations.

Basically, the way entertainment works changed with the Epic, so reservations are used for ships built since then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The whole way that the entertainment works changed with the Epic. The difference is basically between ships before the Epic, and the Epic or later.

On the pre Epic ships there is a different show in the theatre every night, usually with an earlier or later show. The theatre is relatively large compared to the number of people onboard, so there is generally no problem getting to see the shows. No need for reservations.

On the Epic and later ships, the theatre is smaller compared to the number of passengers. The shows in the main theatre are repeated during the week and therefore there is need for some management of the numbers attending at each showing, which is why there is need for reservations.

There are also some shows in smaller venues around the ship, like the dinner show, which also require reservations.

Basically, the way entertainment works changed with the Epic, so reservations are used for ships built since then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ohhhh! Yea, makes sense. Thanks for the explanation. Now I know ... if I decide to sail on the Dawn after this, then I'll just show up early for the shows. :)

Somebody else can give current details but I haven't seen anything indicating different, but last time we were on Gem the two main shows were Blazin Boots and then the same group did a parody of songs/tv through the 60s, 70s, 80s.

IMO both were very good in terms of story line and cast.

Ohhhh! Yea, makes sense. Thanks for the explanation. Now I know ... if I decide to sail on the Dawn after this, then I'll just show up early for the shows. :)

Our family of 7 ended up showing up a minute before showtime on the Gem and never had an issue being seated.

As others said, Gem's main shows do not take nor need reservations, doors open 30 minutes prior & on a walk-in, first come, first serve & seat yourself arrangement. Exception being those in full suites & Haven with reserved box seating sections, clearly marked, upper level.

Generally, as long as you show up 10 or 15 minutes before showtime, there are plenty of choice seats - maybe not middle or center in the theater. Toward the back, an area is clearly marked & designated for accessible ... in wheelchairs & motorized scooters.

No changes in the main shows that I know/read of since we've sailed a few months ago, those solo (acrobatic/magician) performers might rotate & go on vacation/leave (and, substituted) - that's about all. Just check the Freestyle Dailies once onboard.