Anyone been on the Star since the dry dock?

nmsk5

Thanks for the info. I'm more worried there won't be any families onboard and we'll spend the whole cruise worrying about annoying other guests. The little one is happy running around and the older 2 are 11 and 14, they will spend the whole time on their phones if there's nothing better to do. With it being peak school holidays do you think there will be a lot of kids onboard?

Here is NCL's fantastic reply:

"Thank you for your email.

First and foremost, NCL would like to apologisefor any inconvenience caused in regards to the removal of the kids pool on theNCL Star.

This was a decision made outside our control.

May we inform you that the Spice H20 pool will stillbe available with adults supervision.

Rest assured, your comments and feedback are dulynoted and welcomed and we leave no stone unturned. Your comments will be passedonto the relevant department for their attention however, please do feel freeto email our Guest Relations department on XXX upon your return from the cruise."

I might just get drunk and let the kids run riot in Spice H20, if anyone complains I'll show them this email (I won't really but it would be quite funny).

We will have a boy of 13 and girl of 15. I’m with you. We will get drunk as a skunk and let kids run riot

I know, our older 2 will be ok but we’ve got one that’s just turned 3. Not sure how he’ll be in those. The older ones are also disappointed though.

The main thing for us is what it says about the ship as a whole. They must have done this because it’s geneally not got many families with kids on, last thing we want is being awkward at meal times and such like.

All of NCL ships are extremely family friendly, even those without slides. NCL is the most relaxed mass market cruise line, the Star is one of the oldest ships. The slides on the non-mega ships have always been slow, small and lame. My kids have been on 4 NCL ships, big and small, and always had a great time.

Where did you see the "Seven Seas". I can not find any reference ?

https://www.ncl.com/sites/default/files/Dining_Guide.pdf

Someone had previously posted some photos taken from another website and said they were from the Star. One of them referred to Seven Seas. It wasn't from the Star and the photos have since been removed from the thread, presumably due to copyright violation.

All of NCL ships are extremely family friendly, even those without slides. NCL is the most relaxed mass market cruise line, the Star is one of the oldest ships. The slides on the non-mega ships have always been slow, small and lame. My kids have been on 4 NCL ships, big and small, and always had a great time.

Thanks a lot for the info, much appreciated and feel a bit better now. We’re in a deluxe owners suite so hopefully the room will compensate too.

I was on the 5/24-6/3 10 day med on the Star. This was my first NCL cruise and first Mediterranean cruise. My opinion on this topic may not be very popular, but it is just my opinion. I view this itinerary as a more port intensive cultural cruise and therefore feel like the experiences to be had on this type of cruise are lost on small children. They are less likely to appreciate all of the historical sites and more likely be stressed out on all of the long days of touring in very busy, tourist populated ports of call. I did make note that I did not see many children during our stay. In speaking with one of the kids club staff members that we bumped into while in Monte Carlo, I was surprised to hear that there were 95 children on the ship, though she only had 5 in the kids club. I think they must define children as anyone under 18. In any event, I thoroughly enjoyed our experience and think that this type of Freestyle cruising is perfect for a port intensive cruise like this. Unlike previous cruises that we have taken, we felt no pressure to get back to the ship in order to make a specific dinner seating so we were able to make the most of our times in port.

Thanks a lot for the info, much appreciated and feel a bit better now. We’re in a deluxe owners suite so hopefully the room will compensate too.

If your group is 5 you must be in an inner DOS. The DOS, despite no balcony, are nice rooms.

You'll get 3 bottles of booze.

I was initially going to ask if the letter was from a European Office as it didn't seem to follow the normal Miami speak. It also makes more sense when they say "out of their control" as it was a Miami decision.

Here is NCL's fantastic reply:

"Thank you for your email.

First and foremost, NCL would like to apologisefor any inconvenience caused in regards to the removal of the kids pool on theNCL Star.

This was a decision made outside our control.

May we inform you that the Spice H20 pool will stillbe available with adults supervision.

I'm slightly confused by this response since the photos I have seen of the Star Spice H2O doesn't have a pool.

If your group is 5 you must be in an inner DOS. The DOS, despite no balcony, are nice rooms.

You'll get 3 bottles of booze.

I was initially going to ask if the letter was from a European Office as it didn't seem to follow the normal Miami speak. It also makes more sense when they say "out of their control" as it was a Miami decision.

I used the pre cruise case submission form and the reply did come from EU customer service.

Bit rubbish though, “it’s not our fault, it’s ncl usa”. That makes it all ok.....

We are in the inner dos with the extra bedroom. Wonder if they’ve been refitted at all?

I'm slightly confused by this response since the photos I have seen of the Star Spice H2O doesn't have a pool.

That would be funny. Does it have a tub maybe? They don’t seem to have a clue what they’re doing.

Just got off the Star yesterday in Venice. First time on the ship, so don't know what changed, but there are no slides anywhere, just the pool. Spice H2O I think is in the back with seats, it's covered and with large screen TVs, showing World Cup.

You can tell the carpet in some general areas were new, other areas and in the rooms (we had a mini-suite) we not.

Overall, liked the Star (and I hated the Epic due to room config). Debarkation was nutty, as they did not mention walkoffs, but there were mass lines to walk off the ship with your luggage (deck 7). We just walked off deck 4 after they let the first group go (yellow 8am)and our bags, green 1 was 2nd, were ready (8:05am). Off the ship in 15 minutes :)

Croatia was cancelled due to high wind, but other than that, had amazing time and would cruise again on the Star if the ports lined up to what we wanted.

That would be funny. Does it have a tub maybe? They don’t seem to have a clue what they’re doing.

There are two hot tubs in Spice H2O, a couple of large round loungers and many tables/chairs - some are standard height and some are community table height. On our cruise last week the whole place was a jumble because there were three World Cup games per day being shown on the 4 or 5 TVs mounted in the area. All of the tables and chairs were dragged to be positioned to see the TVs and the place was packed during every game we saw. I don’t think it’s a “normal” layout right now - until the World Cup is over. It was actually a great place to watch the games given the varied demographics of the pax and the teams playing - it was raucous on occasion!

That said - kids are allowed until midnight - including in the hot tubs - and then adults only after that.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 2 weeks later...

for all you people who have children...just remember they are YOUR children NOT anyone elses....so "Letting them run riot" et. al. is selfish, inconsiderate and just as juvenile as your children's obnoxious behavior. Just because you have children don't think everyone else has to tolerate your lack of disciplining/parenting and put up with your wild unruly kids. one would think most people would be agast if you let say your dog run riot all over the ship...so neither should you allow your kids do the same.

for all you people who have children...just remember they are YOUR children NOT anyone elses....so "Letting them run riot" et. al. is selfish, inconsiderate and just as juvenile as your children's obnoxious behavior. Just because you have children don't think everyone else has to tolerate your lack of disciplining/parenting and put up with your wild unruly kids. one would think most people would be agast if you let say your dog run riot all over the ship...so neither should you allow your kids do the same.

SO TRUE!!!!!!!

I’m sure there are some parents that do that so your point remains valid, but from reading our comments it should be fairly obvious myself and the posters in this thread were joking. We were having a dig at NCL for their terrible communication and pathetic answers.

• 2 weeks later...

Dry dock mainly removed kids slides and put in H2O spic. Seems like wasted opportunity to make something great out of such prime space. HAs two hot tubs. This is suppose to be adults only area but during summer vacations, kids are running around.

You smallish old fashioned ships, you may like Star. I am afraid that I may get disowned by the family if they ever catch me saying anything positive about NCL Star. Unnecessary inefficiencies are bit too common on this ship. Subtle friction beween philipino and non-philipino staff sometimes spill over into quality of service. Food was worst on any ship on any cruise line family had sailed. But each of us can have different experience as expectations and needs are different. Hope you have a great cruise.

Just got off the Star yesterday in Venice. First time on the ship, so don't know what changed, but there are no slides anywhere, just the pool. Spice H2O I think is in the back with seats, it's covered and with large screen TVs, showing World Cup.

You can tell the carpet in some general areas were new, other areas and in the rooms (we had a mini-suite) we not.

Overall, liked the Star (and I hated the Epic due to room config). Debarkation was nutty, as they did not mention walkoffs, but there were mass lines to walk off the ship with your luggage (deck 7). We just walked off deck 4 after they let the first group go (yellow 8am)and our bags, green 1 was 2nd, were ready (8:05am). Off the ship in 15 minutes :)

Croatia was cancelled due to high wind, but other than that, had amazing time and would cruise again on the Star if the ports lined up to what we wanted.

Hi Grillfish. We are booked on a 9 night VCE Adriatic leaving next May 24-June 2nd. Wondering how the weather was when you were there in June? Thanks you

I was on the 5/24-6/3 10 day med on the Star. This was my first NCL cruise and first Mediterranean cruise. My opinion on this topic may not be very popular, but it is just my opinion. I view this itinerary as a more port intensive cultural cruise and therefore feel like the experiences to be had on this type of cruise are lost on small children. They are less likely to appreciate all of the historical sites and more likely be stressed out on all of the long days of touring in very busy, tourist populated ports of call. I did make note that I did not see many children during our stay. In speaking with one of the kids club staff members that we bumped into while in Monte Carlo, I was surprised to hear that there were 95 children on the ship, though she only had 5 in the kids club. I think they must define children as anyone under 18. In any event, I thoroughly enjoyed our experience and think that this type of Freestyle cruising is perfect for a port intensive cruise like this. Unlike previous cruises that we have taken, we felt no pressure to get back to the ship in order to make a specific dinner seating so we were able to make the most of our times in port.

Hi. We are going to be on Star almost the same dates as you next year, 5/24-6/2 Our cruise is Venice to Greece. If you did any of those ports, I was wondering how the temps were. We once cruised in July and it was way too hot. Thank you

Was on the 8th day Adriatic cruise that left on July 8th. 3rd time on Star (great destination, but lacking big-ship activities). The best and least talked-about improvement I saw was replacement of the wall panel next to balcony with a more functional one. The old one had a narrower table that stuck out so much that it blocked access to balcony when the sofa-bed was open. The new one has a wider table which does not stick out as much and allows easy access to the balcony (even with sofa-bed open). Other improvements in the room:

- Two USB plugs for charging in the wall panel (the left most plugs in the pictures)

- Slot above the plug in the wall panel where you can put your phone/tablet during charging to keep the table clear

- USB charging plug under each light at the two sides of the bed (hard to find if you don't know they are there)

NCL_Star_wall_panel_1.thumb.jpg.91630558b53ca4f1036400cb0f0467b0.jpg

NCL_Star_wall_panel_2.thumb.jpg.f93a3c2506f72704fcb0089cb9a66289.jpg

NCL_Star_wall_panel_3.thumb.jpg.576632f8a880d962c22693a8ef65c9de.jpg

NCL_Star_wall_panel_4.thumb.jpg.ae68169a3125746eaca75a62ed663531.jpg

NCL_Star_wall_panel_5.thumb.jpg.16d5e982132547e2b078e38693ce258c.jpg

Was on the 8th day Adriatic cruise that left on July 8th. 3rd time on Star (great destination, but lacking big-ship activities). The best and least talked-about improvement I saw was replacement of the wall panel next to balcony with a more functional one. The old one had a narrower table that stuck out so much that it blocked access to balcony when the sofa-bed was open. The new one has a wider table which does not stick out as much and allows easy access to the balcony (even with sofa-bed open). Other improvements in the room:

- Two USB plugs for charging in the wall panel (the left most plugs in the pictures)

- Slot above the plug in the wall panel where you can put your phone/tablet during charging to keep the table clear

- USB charging plug under each light at the two sides of the bed (hard to find if you don't know they are there)

Was this a regular balcony cabin or a mini suite?

The new H2O appeared under utilized, both daytime and night time. One night it was closed-off for a private party.

The pool and 4 jacuzzis around it were over-crowded. They had removed the slippery tiles in the shallow water areas (6 inch deep) in the two sides of the pool and painted it blue (good move), but had not painted the hole pool (which does need fresh paint). Would have been better if the had converted the shallow areas to mini-pools ~ 2 feet deep for use by the kids to reduce the congestion in the center pool.

NCL_Star_H2O_1.thumb.jpg.e9c1161d007eb12623f8816329ec61b3.jpg

NCL_Star_H2O_2.thumb.jpg.14bcacc0ed56b505804eeade1c8303ce.jpg

NCL_Star_Pool_1.thumb.jpg.2ae640ed40af8708ba40a5c881cc7b36.jpg

NCL_Star_Pool_2.thumb.jpg.84d59c349450c8ec286d94136afb83d3.jpg