Loop Monitor

Well you thought wrong.

I know exactly where it is. And if you wander up to the top deck, forward, where all the antennas are and look for the one that says "Wireless Maritime Services", you would too.

If looking for a satellite dish in a golf ball, correct.

If looking for a satellite dish in a golf ball, correct.

Perhaps you are unaware that it's the boxy and dishy things attached to cell phone towers that support the cell network. The tower is an inert piece of metal that does nothing more than provide convenient mounts for the boxy and dishy things. These items can and are easily mounted on other structures.

An actual tower is not required for cellular service. Some of these dishy and boxy things connect to ground components that interface with wired segments of the cell network. Other boxy/dishy things support satellite, optical, and RF segments.

Perhaps you are unaware that it's the boxy and dishy things attached to cell phone towers that support the cell network. The tower is an inert piece of metal that does nothing more than provide convenient mounts for the boxy and dishy things. These items can and are easily mounted on other structures.

An actual tower is not required for cellular service. Some of these dishy and boxy things connect to ground components that interface with wired segments of the cell network. Other boxy/dishy things support satellite, optical, and RF segments.

A big boxy thing could be a generator.

I am quite aware that no tower is required and have been saying all along there are no cell towers at sea. It does not preclude a cellular network. Others seem confused about that.

I am quite aware that no tower is required and have been saying all along there are no cell towers at sea. It does not preclude a cellular network. Others seem confused about that.

No confusion. When asked, you refused to explain. In fact refused in a deliberately insulting way.

Oh, so we're playing the semantics game, eh? Frankly, I would call the "golf ball on a tee" a "tower". It's big enough that I have to climb a ladder inside to get up to the cell dish. Fair enough, it's a short tower, but since it isn't designed to cover a great distance to the next "tower", it is just the right height. I've repaired and replaced a few of these over the years on a variety of ships.

Please take the childish semantics argument somewhere else.

Oh, so we're playing the semantics game, eh? Frankly, I would call the "golf ball on a tee" a "tower". It's big enough that I have to climb a ladder inside to get up to the cell dish. Fair enough, it's a short tower, but since it isn't designed to cover a great distance to the next "tower", it is just the right height. I've repaired and replaced a few of these over the years on a variety of ships.

Would you please stop by the current thread " Balcony Hacks " post #40 for clarification on the air cooling process? I quoted a post of yours from March and there's a difference of opinion. Thank you

I wasn't aware that you were a moderator. Perhaps you would care to provide the definitive answer to the OPs question and whether or not it will transmit data to shore and worry less about what I post.

I wasn't aware that you were a moderator. Perhaps you would care to provide the definitive answer to the OPs question and whether or not it will transmit data to shore and worry less about what I post.

Well, I don't see that your quibbling over whether there is a cell tower at sea is answering the OP's question.

I did however, look at the system the OP described. It appears to me that the "mycarelink monitor" uses cellular signal to connect to whatever system is used to transmit data (not clear from a quick browse). If this is the case, the monitor will connect to the cellular at sea "tower" on the ship, which will then use their satellite link to send the signal to shore, and then connect to the mycarelink system. This, of course, as with any connection to Cellular at Sea will be costly, especially if the device is connected all night long while the OP is sleeping. It will definitely transmit data, but it would likely be thousands of dollars in cellular bills.

My suggestion to the OP is to, in addition to discussions with your physician, who may understand the system on land, to have in depth discussions with the system manufacturer to see if the monitor does in fact connect to a cellular service as the first step in transmission, and if so, then it will connect to the only cell signal available, the ship's, and regardless of the system's ability to transmit data via satellite for free, there will be a charge for 8 hours per day from Cellular at Sea. Be sure to specify to the manufacturer that regardless of any contracts with major cell network providers, that you will be reliant only on Cellular at Sea. Most cell providers have agreements with Cellular at Sea, and rates vary with provider.

Well, I don't see that your quibbling over whether there is a cell tower at sea is answering the OP's question.

I did however, look at the system the OP described. It appears to me that the "mycarelink monitor" uses cellular signal to connect to whatever system is used to transmit data (not clear from a quick browse). If this is the case, the monitor will connect to the cellular at sea "tower" on the ship, which will then use their satellite link to send the signal to shore, and then connect to the mycarelink system. This, of course, as with any connection to Cellular at Sea will be costly, especially if the device is connected all night long while the OP is sleeping. It will definitely transmit data, but it would likely be thousands of dollars in cellular bills.

My suggestion to the OP is to, in addition to discussions with your physician, who may understand the system on land, to have in depth discussions with the system manufacturer to see if the monitor does in fact connect to a cellular service as the first step in transmission, and if so, then it will connect to the only cell signal available, the ship's, and regardless of the system's ability to transmit data via satellite for free, there will be a charge for 8 hours per day from Cellular at Sea. Be sure to specify to the manufacturer that regardless of any contracts with major cell network providers, that you will be reliant only on Cellular at Sea. Most cell providers have agreements with Cellular at Sea, and rates vary with provider.

My initial response to the OP was clear and concise. The data will have to go over the satellite link. It seems you have confirmed that.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=56267655&postcount=12

My initial response to the OP was clear and concise. The data will have to go over the satellite link. It seems you have confirmed that.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=56267655&postcount=12

Everything goes over the satellite link, since the ship does not drag a landline behind it. The question is whether it goes as data or cellular. The ship's wifi package takes data from your device to a server, and then uplinks to the satellite, and down to land station for connection to internet. This goes as data, and they sell packaged amounts of data for fixed price. I believe, from what I read about OP's system, that the monitor connects to a cellular network, so this does not go to the ship's servers, but goes directly to the Cellular at Sea "tower" for transmission to the satellite (and it may well be a different satellite). This, whether voice or data, is charged by the minute, since it was a direct connection to the cell tower. As others have noted, the wifi system requires a log in, which the OP's system can't perform (no keypad), so buying the wifi package is useless in my opinion. However, when the transmit button on the monitor is pushed, it is the same as getting a dial tone on your cell.

Everything goes over the satellite link, since the ship does not drag a landline behind it. The question is whether it goes as data or cellular. The ship's wifi package takes data from your device to a server, and then uplinks to the satellite, and down to land station for connection to internet. This goes as data, and they sell packaged amounts of data for fixed price. I believe, from what I read about OP's system, that the monitor connects to a cellular network, so this does not go to the ship's servers, but goes directly to the Cellular at Sea "tower" for transmission to the satellite (and it may well be a different satellite). This, whether voice or data, is charged by the minute, since it was a direct connection to the cell tower. As others have noted, the wifi system requires a log in, which the OP's system can't perform (no keypad), so buying the wifi package is useless in my opinion. However, when the transmit button on the monitor is pushed, it is the same as getting a dial tone on your cell.

That's a lot of words to say it isn't free (included), which was implicit in my answer.

That's a lot of words to say it isn't free (included), which was implicit in my answer.

Which was not accurately "implicit", since the OP stated he/she was going to purchase the "wifi package". However, there is a vast difference in cost from an "unlimited wifi" package and 7 nights of 8 hours of cell phone service.

However, I've given my advice and warning to OP, and I don't care to joust with your "implicit" semantics.

Not at all implicit in your comments. The fact that a satellite is used does not imply the end user must bear some cost.

According to the manufacturer's literature the patient bears no cost for the machine's use of cellular data services.

Which was not accurately "implicit", since the OP stated he/she was going to purchase the "wifi package". However, there is a vast difference in cost from an "unlimited wifi" package and 7 nights of 8 hours of cell phone service.

However, I've given my advice and warning to OP, and I don't care to joust with your "implicit" semantics.

So in summary, we both agree that there are no traditional cell towers at sea, there is no cable being towed behind the ship, and the data has to go over satellite. That's all we know.

The best advice is for the OP to contact physician and manufacturer, because nobody here knows for certain how the thing operates or what options the device might have.

That's pretty much how it stands.