Kids addressing our room steward...

MrsEmmaPeel

Odd. It comes up as very odd, as well as outdated.

We moved to the US deep south over 14 years ago and I am still not used to others calling me Mr. Firstname. Makes me feel like I am in a stage production of Gone With The Wind. But I try to be sensitive that to some in would be considered disrespectful to do otherwise, but I do discourage it where I can.

I have always been taught to respect and follow local customs. (When in Rome . . .)

• 3 weeks later...

As I am of the older (65+) age and being from the South, I use Yes/no ma'am and yes/no sir as a respectable answer to a yes/no question. I have younger friends who address me as Pappa Gene or Mr. Gene. Once these folks reach adulthood I let them know they can address me a Gene. When my kids were growing up, we taught them to address adults as Mr./Mrs. Sometimes it is best to ask the room steward(ess) how they wish to be addressed.

I too don't like being addressed as Mr. Surname, I will tell them to call me Mr. Gene or just Gene. When they call me by my last name I usually tell them that my dad is not there. My preference!

Edited by pappagene

I can't see how this question merits more than 1 reply - treat them respectfully and do not make unreasonable demands on them.

DON

No one would disagree with what you say, but the question was how the youngsters should address the staff. Not how they should treat the staff. I think the OP already knows that or they wouldn't be asking. :)