5 in cabin???

gail8

I think you would be much happier with 2 cabins. The space is tight with even 3 and adding 2 more people, well, you might not be friends at the end of your cruise. There is only one bathroom and it's small and the scheduling (especially before dinner) would be almost impossible.

Garry

We are looking for a cruise for our whole family. Is there any way to fit 5 in a cabin or will we need 2 cabins?

Celebrity has excellent family cabins which can accomodate five people as long as the kids are little. It will be tight but can be done, biggest problem is use of bathroom. I stayed in family cabin on the Century and it had loads of closet and drawer space. If possible get two insides but it can be done.

Celebrity has non-suite options for cabins that are furnished to sleep 5 people (but with only 1 bathroom as Don has pointed out). The Millennium class ships have a few inside and outside cabins setup for 5.

The better options for a single cabin for 5 reside on the Century class ships. Each of those cabins have 3 single beds plus a double or queen sized bed in a cabin that is 20% larger than a normal cabin (210 sq ft vs 175 sq ft). As Don has already mentioned there are the aft Cat 3 cabins aboard Century which we booked on our first cruise with Celebrity and highly recommend. Here are some photos taken by another passenger: Century Cat 3.

Mercury and Galaxy have the same oversized family cabins as Century at the stern but they also have inside cabins setup to sleep 5 as well. Here are some photos of our FO cabin aboard Mercury: FO Cabin 1152. Photos taken by another Cruise Critic member of their Galaxy FO cabin: Galaxy FO Cabin 1156. And finally some photos taken by cujosmom of their Galaxy Cat 9 inside cabin: Cat 9 Cabin 1137.

The price for the oversized family cabins are very reasonable and provide a good economic alternative to getting a suite if you are bound and determined to do this in one single cabin.

Finally, you could also resort booking a cabin furnished to sleep 4 and getting a space consuming rollaway bed for the 5th person but I think the above options are better if you are looking at 1 single cabin.

Even if there was a cabin (not suite/penthouse) that could accomodate five people, would you really want to share one bathroom?

Last year, we took our three daughters on their first cruise. They are all teenagers (I can hear some of you gasping;)), and the thought of having them on top of us when trying to shower and dress for dinner was enough!

We booked a balcony cabin for us, and then an inside cabin for them nearby. It worked out very well: We didn't have to claw our way through their clutter, and they didn't have us breathing down their necks when trying to dress and shower at either end of the day. We all had morning juice and coffee on our balcony, and we would give a room card to any of the girls if they simply wanted to go back to our room during the day to read or sun on the balcony.

I highly reccommend this arrangement: Everyone gets the advantage of the balcony, as well as the advantages of two bathrooms and accomodating two vastly different sleeping schedules.

Hang on, you're not alone! We have a family of 5 and have booked the Summit cabin 7199; it is a large FV with balcony, aft corner, and supposedly larger than some of the suites. It also has a sliding door which separates the main bedroom from the sleeping area. Our kids are 13, 12, and 6.

Granted, we do have an "escape route" planned, which is via the grandparent's cabin, where we can stick one or two of the more bothersome children! But from what I hear from the GP's, they plan to be up on our large veranda sightseeing...

Then again, this is our first family cruise, so maybe you shouldn't be listening to me.

My sister, also on the cruise, has planned two adjoining OV cabins. That particular setup cost over $2500 more than the FV, but she does have that extra bathroom.

We stayed in one of those FV cabins and at 293 sq ft (+55 sq ft of private hallway), it is the largest cabin that our family of 4 has sailed in yet. However, believe it or not, with all that space, there is not a good place for fitting a rollaway bed to sleep a 5th person. I believe the only spot to fit a rollaway would be in front of the closets which would block access to the bathroom door and main cabin door. Only other alternative would be sleeping out on the balcony or putting a 3rd person in the queen sized bed.....

During the day, having the extra cabin and balcony space for 5 people is going to be a real godsend with that FV cabin......

I just would not recommend five in a cabin. It's just too cramped whether it's a standard cabin or one that's a bit larger. In our early years of cruising we had four of us in a cabin for a couple of years and it got old real fast. Just too much to coordinate when getting dressed in the evenings. For a few years we switched to the Royal Suite which for the four of us worked out well. For five people, I think I would go with two cabins. Not sure how old the oldest is. One option is to get one inside cabin for the kids and one directly across the way for the adults.

Keith

Archived