Galveston or New Orleans

cruiser20145

I'll add this to my preference for NOLA. Lots of people think the place to be in NOLA is the French Quarter, and many tourists never experience other parts of the city. IMHO, the FQ is great to see once to say you've been there, but once is enough. New Orleans has so much more to offer. Personally I like staying on the river and I never visit the FQ when I visit. The entire riverfront was rebuilt after Katrina and is a much better place to stay, and its so easy to reach nearby attractions from there. I can see how some people feel the way they do about New Orleans if they don't get out much past the FQ.

I vote for Galveston. I am a native houstonian and absolutely love New Orleans but would save the 300 and spend it on a trip to Houston. We have lots to do here, kemah boardwalk , Galveston strand, moody gardens and if you fly into HOU, you get free bags (2] which come in handy for the cruise. Galveston is more laid back than New Orleans so you can get a bit of night life but not too crazy before you board the fun ship. Also with the ports being the same, I would look at the ship next, we have the breeze here and the freedom is nice too. I do love New Orleans though but getting to Galveston seemed easier to me.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I vote for Galveston. I am a native houstonian and absolutely love New Orleans but would save the 300 and spend it on a trip to Houston. We have lots to do here, kemah boardwalk , Galveston strand, moody gardens and if you fly into HOU, you get free bags (2] which come in handy for the cruise. Galveston is more laid back than New Orleans so you can get a bit of night life but not too crazy before you board the fun ship. Also with the ports being the same, I would look at the ship next, we have the breeze here and the freedom is nice too. I do love New Orleans though but getting to Galveston seemed easier to me.

The ships are the Valor and the Glory, so not much difference there (other than the extra slide).

Getting to Galveston is easier? The airport

Is over an hour from the port. 15miles to the port of New Orleans. New Orleans has 300 hotels. In Galveston you either pay $200 for a motel 6 near the port or stay 30-60mins away. Port parking is better in New Orleans and I haven’t found an off-site parking service in Galveston as good as Fulton yet.

Uncalled for :mad:

But being from Tacoma, I see it. Must be miserable not having a real team to root for!! :rolleyes:

So your name is UL(L) Cajun cruiser and you’re an LSU fan? Your real school isn’t good enough for you?

Uncalled for :mad:

But being from Tacoma, I see it. Must be miserable not having a real team to root for!! :rolleyes:

No sense of humor huh.

Must be sad.

I never would have thought LSU fans were so sensitive.

Getting to Galveston is easier? The airport

Is over an hour from the port. 15miles to the port of New Orleans. New Orleans has 300 hotels. In Galveston you either pay $200 for a motel 6 near the port or stay 30-60mins away. Port parking is better in New Orleans and I haven’t found an off-site parking service in Galveston as good as Fulton yet.

What is so hard about driving down a 3-4 lane interstate on a Sunday morning? Another Galveston benefit would be the opportunity to stop at Buc-ees at i45 exit 17.

As for parking, I doubt you find any more convenient COVERED parking at any cruise port than Galveston Park and Cruise.

Park your car inside, wheel your luggage across the street and head into the terminal. No waiting in a long line of cars to drop off your luggage and no waiting for any shuttle.

The ships are the Valor and the Glory, so not much difference there (other than the extra slide).

You mean for 5 day? Yes that is true. I thought you were doing a 7 day. If so, we have freedom and breeze and vista in a few months.

You mean for 5 day? Yes that is true. I thought you were doing a 7 day. If so, we have freedom and breeze and vista in a few months.

Breeze leaves when Vista comes. Sounds like they’re doing a 5-day next spring when glory is doing 5-days in New Orleans and Valor is doing them in Galveston.

Breeze leaves when Vista comes. Sounds like they’re doing a 5-day next spring when glory is doing 5-days in New Orleans and Valor is doing them in Galveston.

Ahhh makes sense. I booked breeze for August, freedom for September and valor for thanksgiving. I never paid a lot of attention to the dancing of the ships once vista was not in my price range for September. I will be booking for next year probably in November.

Ahhh makes sense. I booked breeze for August, freedom for September and valor for thanksgiving. I never paid a lot of attention to the dancing of the ships once vista was not in my price range for September. I will be booking for next year probably in November.

Yeah you’re probably on one of the last Breeze cruises out of Galveston. I think she leaves in September.

What is so hard about driving down a 3-4 lane interstate on a Sunday morning? Another Galveston benefit would be the opportunity to stop at Buc-ees at i45 exit 17.

As for parking, I doubt you find any more convenient COVERED parking at any cruise port than Galveston Park and Cruise.

Park your car inside, wheel your luggage across the street and head into the terminal. No waiting in a long line of cars to drop off your luggage and no waiting for any shuttle.

Yeah..wheel your stuff across the street...assuming you have wheels on your luggage. That’s your port parking. In New Orleans it’s in the same building. Porter takes your luggage at your car. Just park and take the elevator down to check-in. No lugging luggage across the street in the hot sun.

What would you prefer to sail from? I know that NOLA is an easier port to get to than Galveston. The cruise/ airfare is about $300 more from NOLA than Galveston. Same itinerary.

I don’t know if this would be a feasible for you, but did you ever think about taking the train?

We live in Illinois and most of the time take the train to NOLA, it’s pretty inexpensive and you don’t have to worry about what you pack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Galveston is probably fine if you can drive to the port. Otherwise it is expensive and a hassle getting to and from the airport.

New Orleans is fabulous...love it! It's worth it just for the grilled oysters! And the Miss. River is a bonus on any cruise out of N.O.

Factors:

You can get a much better hotel at a much cheaper price in New Orleans-especially if you know the "bidding game"

The food/entertainment is a 10 in New Orleans compared to a 5 in Galveston-and everything within walking distance

However, parking is going to be much more expensive in New Orleans

That is a significant (in my book) price difference, but I would say NOLA. I have been to that city many times and love it, and it is worth an extra day or two if you can swing it. I have sailed out of Galveston once, and the area was pretty to drive through, but didn't strike me as a destination itself like NOLA.

Speaking of prices... where are your flying to? Houston Hobby Airport, or Houston International (more common)? It is NOT a short ride, and that definitely has its own expense. When I sailed out of Galveston and returned to NOLA on Breeze, a Lyft from downtown to the airport was about $25-$30 for the two of us. I don't remember the cost of the transfers in Texas, but they are more costly. Just something to consider

Another vote for NOLA. Either going down the river, or coming back, around midnight you will pass another Carnival ship in the river. That is one of my favorite moments, It's like the ships are just inches apart and everyone is waving back and forth. Then, on the last day I like to stand at the far front of the ship right as the sun comes up and we round the last curve into NOLA. It's just fun all the way around.

I don’t know if this would be a feasible for you, but did you ever think about taking the train?

We live in Illinois and most of the time take the train to NOLA, it’s pretty inexpensive and you don’t have to worry about what you pack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That actually could be kind of fun. In retirement some day.

We'd love to sail out of NOLA. The trip down the Mississippi sounds cool. But for all those bashing Galveston, just stop. Fly SWA into HOU, grab an inexpensive overnight hotel near the airport and a shuttle the next morning. There's nothing inconvenient about it. It's actually easier than MCO, simply because of the airport experience. Would I do IAH? No. If that's your only option I'd think long and hard. And Galveston was a very well organized embarkation port. I'd do that again in a heartbeat.

I'd make my decision based on relative price with a lean to NOLA if I could get there early enough to take advantage of the city for a day or two. For example, a Friday flight for a Sunday cruise. But either is a fine choice.

Edited by jsglow

So...I may be in the minority but I would say Galveston. I have cruised twice out of NOLA, and 6 times out of Galveston. Both of our cruises out of NOLA were rowdy. More drunks, more squabbles, and at least one fight. Not saying that it never happens out of Galveston, but less I feel.

Now, having said that - I do enjoy going down the Mississippi river. I have even seen posted somewhere a timeline of sites you pass going down the river. Also, the pre stay is really fun in NOLA.

Good luck - and either way I'm sure you'll have a great cruise.

So...I may be in the minority but I would say Galveston. I have cruised twice out of NOLA, and 6 times out of Galveston. Both of our cruises out of NOLA were rowdy. More drunks, more squabbles, and at least one fight. Not saying that it never happens out of Galveston, but less I feel.

Now, having said that - I do enjoy going down the Mississippi river. I have even seen posted somewhere a timeline of sites you pass going down the river. Also, the pre stay is really fun in NOLA.

Good luck - and either way I'm sure you'll have a great cruise.

Sounds crazy to me. I don't notice a big difference in people from New Orleans to Galveston. Most aren't locals anyway. The only fight I've seen on a ship was last year on Freedom out of Galveston.

In Galveston in the winter there is also the issue of fog. It may or may not delay your embarkation or debarkation. That has to be figured into your arrival and departure, particularly if you are flying into Houston.

Another issue I have had at Galveston is the debarkation. Both times it was a fubar! And whoever decided that cobblestone sidewalks outside of the terminal bldg. was a good idea, never tried rolling luggage on it. When you are older and have back issues, it is difficult to move your luggage without really working at it.

I understand that a lot of people within driving distance love Galveston, but I avoid it unless their is a journey cruise that I can't get anywhere else.

I also would not recommend taking the cruise line shuttle. The last cruise we took, we barely made it to the airport in time. I would advise a private shuttle pre-arranged. If you think you might want to rent a car at the airport one way, be prepared to have a pocket full of cash. It will supersede the cost of your private shuttle by a substantial amount.

Also if you buy any liquor while on the cruise, you will be asked to pay a Texas tax when you go through customs. Even if it was sold as duty free. Come on Texas....you're better than that!

I love the people from Texas, but cruising out of Galveston is like having a rock in your shoe that you can't get out. Too many annoyances to make me want to return. I'll take N.O. over Galveston any day of the week. We have always cruised with a great bunch of fellow cruisers. They are friendly and lots of fun. And I've also noticed that a lot of them like to really dress up for formal nights.