Baked Alaska is back.

jdoc2010

The best Baked Alaska I ever had was the one I baked in Home Ec back in 1970. I haven't found a decent one since. I'm willing to give this new one a try with hopes it's better than the dismal square-ish Baked Alaska they served a few years ago.

I'm the same way (except I'm a little younger - mine was late 80's). I've rarely had any meringue based dessert quite as good, and definitely not as good of a Baked Alaska:(

Also I keep wondering why woukd cheese plate be offered as desert ? Should that not be an appetizer?

A cheese course is a typical European/gourmet end to a meal rather than or just before a dessert. Have a read:

https://www.thespruceeats.com/serve-a-cheese-plate-for-dessert-591316

I LOVE the cheese plate for dessert! I tried it a few years ago on an NCL sailing when I just wasn't craving anything sweet after dinner. It was perfect - the various cheeses and fruits were lovely. It's now my go-to dessert.

As far as Baked Alaska, I guess I'll give it a shot on my Conquest sailing in October. I had it a lonnnnng time ago on a Carnival cruise - and remember it being basically cake and ice cream, yes? Looking forward to giving it another shot.

On the bitters and Blanc are the nuts large and can be picked out or small ? I can’t eat nuts but can pick big ones out and still enjoy things. Also I keep wondering why woukd cheese plate be offered as desert ? Should that not be an appetizer?
I always order the cheese plate as an appetizer. Love it with my salad and glass of wine.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

I LOVE the cheese plate for dessert! I tried it a few years ago on an NCL sailing when I just wasn't craving anything sweet after dinner. It was perfect - the various cheeses and fruits were lovely. It's now my go-to dessert.

As far as Baked Alaska, I guess I'll give it a shot on my Conquest sailing in October. I had it a lonnnnng time ago on a Carnival cruise - and remember it being basically cake and ice cream, yes? Looking forward to giving it another shot.

I might try the cheese plate sometime. On the last cruise not much appealed for desserts.

Baked Alaska should be cake, ice cream, and meringue. The meringue is what allows you to "bake" the "Alaska"