Bahamas cruise - Miami or Port Canaveral?

rodndonna

Hi,

We are looking at doing a Carnival 4 day Bahamas cruise in early February - and wondering if there is any major difference between leaving from Miami or Port Canaveral for this itinerary? We would have to fly to either - so just wondering if one cruise port is particularly easier to access than the other after we fly in (to either Miami or Orlando)

Cheers,

RodnDonna

I have found flying in to Orlando is usually cheaper than Miami for me ( at least from the midwest). But Miami is easier to get from the airport to the port, and vise versa.

Airport to cruiseport for Miami is a flat fee of $27 for up to 4 people.

Airport to cruiseport for Orlando (MCO) can be well over $100 for up to 4 people.

Carnivals ground transportation for 2 people for the same destination is usually about the same as a taxi ride.

I agree that the transportation to Canaveral was pretty costly for me last time.

I also put a little thought into what port I would rather stay at as I always do at least one night before at a hotel. Last year, I did both Orlando and Miami to enjoy the cities. Both were a great time. I found Miami to be my preferred port of the two as far as embarkation.

We fly into Fort Lauderdale which is much cheaper than Miami and even with the added cost of a short cab ride it's still cheaper.

I love the Everglades tour and we take it every time we cruise out of Miami.

Carnival charges $16.99 pp one way from Miami airport and charges $35.99 pp one way from Orlando airport.

In Orlando we come in a day ahead and just rent a car for about $40-$50.

There is also cbshuttle.com and cortrans-shuttle.com that I know of in Orlando.

Bill

May I ask for my own curiosity, if you're putting the time and money into a cruise including flying to Florida, why the Bahamas? Why not the Caribbean, which is much nicer?

Exactly what I was thinking! I am reluctant to even do an Eastern Caribbean cruise that stops in Nassau. I do like Coco Cay, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Exactly what I was thinking! I am reluctant to even do an Eastern Caribbean cruise that stops in Nassau. I do like Coco Cay, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We won't book cruises that go to Nassau/Freeport unless Half Moon Cay AND Grand Turk are included to offset the bad port days.

With regards to "why the Bahamas" - we are just looking for a short/frugal cruise getaway in late January or early February and we have not been to the Bahamas - so thought we would give it a try.

We are doing a 7 day southern Caribbean out of Puerto Rico in December which we are really looking forward to. (-:

With regards to "why the Bahamas" - we are just looking for a short/frugal cruise getaway in late January or early February and we have not been to the Bahamas - so thought we would give it a try.

We are doing a 7 day southern Caribbean out of Puerto Rico in December which we are really looking forward to. (-:

Gotcha, I was just curious. I guess it's one of those things to do to say you've done. Enjoy your cruise!!

If nothing else - we have to go now as we are intrigued by the anti-Bahamas ports sentiment ;p

I applaud your thinking. If you have never been to the Bahamas, experience the ports and decide for yourself.

Nassau has much to offer for the first time visitor. Many people think little of Freeport. During my most recent visit on Carnival Liberty a couple of Winters ago, I changed my mind about staying on the ship when we docked. I explored the port area near the ship and was very glad that I decided to do so. Welcoming and friendly people, shops and kiosks that I enjoyed visiting (and I am not a shopper), two watering holes (I really enjoyed Senor Frog's), and a gazebo with live musical entertainment at times. It was a totally different visit to Freeport than I have had in the past.

Enjoy your visit.

I applaud your thinking. If you have never been to the Bahamas, experience the ports and decide for yourself.

Nassau has much to offer for the first time visitor. Many people think little of Freeport. During my most recent visit on Carnival Liberty a couple of Winters ago, I changed my mind about staying on the ship when we docked. I explored the port area near the ship and was very glad that I decided to do so. Welcoming and friendly people, shops and kiosks that I enjoyed visiting (and I am not a shopper), two watering holes (I really enjoyed Senor Frog's), and a gazebo with live musical entertainment at times. It was a totally different visit to Freeport than I have had in the past.

Enjoy your visit.

Thanks aka,

Indeed - we believe with the right expectations and open mind - every port has something to offer. :D

Carnival charges $16.99 pp one way from Miami airport and charges $35.99 pp one way from Orlando airport.

In Orlando we come in a day ahead and just rent a car for about $40-$50.

There is also cbshuttle.com and cortrans-shuttle.com that I know of in Orlando.

Bill

When we got off the boat in Miami and needed to go to Fort Lauderdale airport, we kept hearing carnival $36/person. When we got off, there were at least 5 people looking to give people rides. They all had ID's and there were security guards that were monitoring the taxis. We agreed on $50/flat fee for 4 people. They did fill the van at the other boards but $160 vs $50 is a no brainer.