Photography excursion in Skagway

kidclassic

Thank you for this info! I am still trying to find the best option, but I really like this one! Where does the train pickup at? I think that would be cool for the ride back.

You would do the one-way from Fraser, BC to Skagway. I bought the ticket at the depot before meeting up with Dyea Dave at the pier for the ride up to Emerald Lake. There were 4 of us on the tour that were catching the train on the way back. He ensured we were there with plenty of time to spare. They did wait for the train to arrive and that we got on it, and then continued the tour for those that stayed on the shuttle instead. You can google Dyea Dave. If you call or email, they are very responsive.

We have done this tour two years in a row. Both times we were very happy with our experiences. Our small group was met by a photographer who also happened to be our van driver; we had a different photographer each year (one female and one male.) Also, one photographer took us to the Summit and another one took us to other scenic places to shoot. Basically, we relied on the photographer's knowledge of where the best place to take photographs were given the weather conditions. Once everyone was assembled in the van, the photographer asked about our camera skills and then mentioned where he/she was going to be taking us to. We had numerous stops along the route and the photographers were always giving tips and were available to help out with any camera issues or questions we had. If this sounds too basic for you then perhaps this wouldn't be the excursion for you.

I am looking at doing a photography excursion in Skagway and wondering if anyone has had any experiences to share.

The one from Princess looks decent but a little short: https://www.princess.com/excursion/exDetails.page?tourCode=SGY-330&t=&exType=S

Any suggestions would be great!

Just a fyi: I do landscape photography, examples: https://www.instagram.com/whatiseefromhere/

The one you have booked looks fine. Good luck on your trip.

We reserved a rental car and drove to Emerald Lake and back. (it really is 'emerald'!!!)

You really do go over those mountains and White Pass, so there are endless opportunities for landscape photography!!!

You might be able to do an excursion where you have a private, or small group, van to go all the way up, and then do the train back down. Most people recommend it in that order.... Many other great opportunities with the train.

There are probably several tour companies/guides that will do small, or private tours.

Maybe you could do a little research and contact them, and find an operator who can offer the closest thing to what you want.

Do be aware, that being fogged in CAN be an issue. And, an actual 'photography' tour guide might be more inclined to avoid going up White Pass if they fear bad conditions.... When we drove up there.... couldn't see a thing for the first half of the drive... but then... WOW!!!

For anyone interested I ended up contacting Dyea Dave and arranging with them to go on their tour. Thanks @reney313!

June I will be posting pictures from my trip on my Instagram

I hope you have as great of a time as we did on their tour! I enjoyed the "smallness" of the group and the guide was excellent!

Your photos are gorgeous!

I am looking at doing a photography excursion in Skagway and wondering if anyone has had any experiences to share.

The one from Princess looks decent but a little short: https://www.princess.com/excursion/exDetails.page?tourCode=SGY-330&t=&exType=S

Any suggestions would be great!

Just a fyi: I do landscape photography, examples: https://www.instagram.com/whatiseefromhere/

After one bad experience I said I'd never do another photo tour in Alaska. Two years ago I knuckled under and did the tour you posted the link to. It was excellent! The guides were avid photographers and took us to some of their favorite locations. It was a small group we were able to take advantage of the guides' local knowledge. It was not a bus ride for someone to learn how to operate the camera they bought on the ship.

After one bad experience I said I'd never do another photo tour in Alaska. Two years ago I knuckled under and did the tour you posted the link to. It was excellent! The guides were avid photographers and took us to some of their favorite locations. It was a small group we were able to take advantage of the guides' local knowledge. It was not a bus ride for someone to learn how to operate the camera they bought on the ship.

Yeah that is what I was afraid of! With what I picked I should be good!

I took a whale watch/Mendenhall Glacier photographer tour in Juneau with Gastineau Guiding and it was well worth it, if nothing else for the smaller group that was genuinely interested in the scenery!

I am looking at a similar one booked with Princess in Juneau. I am actually not even taking my camera this time since I want to pack lighter and I have transitioned to binoculars. Just going to use my phone for pics. Still debating about it, but was interested in smaller group idea.