Question on 3rd and 4th guests sail free offer for a family of 5

sbd78

We are a family of 5 (2 adults, 3 kids) and looking at booking a Bermuda cruise in June 2019. We were hoping to do the 3rd and 4th guests sail free promotion that NCL has for select sailings. There is a sailing out of NYC on the Escape that departs June 2 that includes this promotion, and one out of Boston on the Gem that departs June 9th that also includes it. Here is the problem - I prefer the June 9th sailing because my kids last day of school is June 3rd so they will have to miss their last day if we choose the June 2nd sailing out of NYC. (Or more if there are snow days.) But the Escape has family oceanview staterooms that sleep 5 and the Gem does not. On the Gem, we either have to book 2 staterooms (and lose the 3rd and 4th guest sail free promotion since we will be split between 2 rooms), or choose a suite which is $$$. Online there is only an option to book each stateroom separately. Does anyone know if I call in, would they allow us to keep the 3rd and 4th guest promotion split between two rooms on the Gem? Or is my only option a suite or take them out of school early and book the Escape? (In that case, I would take the Escape or keep looking.) TIA!

If you're kids are young, let's say elementary age, missing the last day of school usually isn't a big deal. It's usually parties and fun day. If they are older and have final exams that's different, otherwise I wouldn't let that stop you from the June 2nd cruise. My going kids miss 5-7 days of school for our cruises and it has never been detrimental .....

On the Gem, there is no choice other than the family suite, which I imagine is very expensive, that will sleep 5. In addition, there are no single cabins of any kind on the Gem (I say this ruefully because I've just completed a booking on the Gem for a solo trip.) So with a party of 5 you can't avoid booking two staterooms on the Gem, and that means that you pay for four passengers. You can use a third-passenger-free option in one stateroom, but the fourth-passenger-free offer is of no value because, even if you booked only one adult into the second stateroom, you'd pay for two.

A cost-effective option might be to book one oceanview and one inside that are across the corridor from each other. You would make the booking with one adult in each, although if all the children are old enough to share one room, you could reassign the rooms on board (and ask Guest Services to give you an extra key for the kids' room). This has the advantage of providing two bathrooms.

Because you can only book one room at a time online, I think you should call to make the booking in any event. And before booking the family oceanview on the Escape, you might try to find someone who knows exactly what the sleeping configuration is.

Especially with children, although I do this even for myself, think when you're choosing stateroom locations about the likelihood of noise after bedtime. Staterooms below public areas could have some noise not only while the areas are open, but also later. For example, although dining rooms typically close at 9:30 or 10:00 p.m., there will be cleaning after the last diners depart and I would rather not hear it.

Edited by kochleffel

Thanks for the replies. My oldest will be in 7th grade this year, middle in 3rd grade and youngest in kindergarten. They missed their last day this year for a Disney trip we had booked. In that case, they would have been out in time but we had 2 snow days. Missing the last day was no big deal, my concern is mostly if we have more snow days next year. We are in the Chicago area so snow days are common. We like to do our family vacation right after school gets out because the prices usually go up a lot later in the summer. Hence this problem, the 3rd and 4th guest sail free promotion is only available on the early June sailings. If only the Escape was making the June 9th sailing!

We are a family of 5 (2 adults, 3 kids) and looking at booking a Bermuda cruise in June 2019. We were hoping to do the 3rd and 4th guests sail free promotion that NCL has for select sailings. There is a sailing out of NYC on the Escape that departs June 2 that includes this promotion, and one out of Boston on the Gem that departs June 9th that also includes it. Here is the problem - I prefer the June 9th sailing because my kids last day of school is June 3rd so they will have to miss their last day if we choose the June 2nd sailing out of NYC. (Or more if there are snow days.) But the Escape has family oceanview staterooms that sleep 5 and the Gem does not. On the Gem, we either have to book 2 staterooms (and lose the 3rd and 4th guest sail free promotion since we will be split between 2 rooms), or choose a suite which is $$$. Online there is only an option to book each stateroom separately. Does anyone know if I call in, would they allow us to keep the 3rd and 4th guest promotion split between two rooms on the Gem? Or is my only option a suite or take them out of school early and book the Escape? (In that case, I would take the Escape or keep looking.) TIA!

You can’t use 3rd and 4th free in two cabins, they are considered two separate (but linked) bookings.

Take a look at the two bedroom suite, we find it’s not much more to book the 2 bedroom suite when compared to the price of two adjoining balcony cabins, especially when the 3rd and 4th free promotion is available.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Are you saying that the Escape doesn't have the promotion on the June 9th sailing? We were on the June 10th sailing and there were a ton of kids. Maybe if they don't offer the 3 & 4th for free because they fill up the rooms regardless?

Are you saying that the Escape doesn't have the promotion on the June 9th sailing? We were on the June 10th sailing and there were a ton of kids. Maybe if they don't offer the 3 & 4th for free because they fill up the rooms regardless?

Yes, the 3rd and 4th guest sail free promotion is only available on the June 2nd sailing of the Escape. (There is a June 9th sailing, but the promotion isn't available.) I think I'd rather be a bad Mom and take my kids out of school a little early vs. paying way more, LOL.

*I should add that I made an error in my first post but it is too late to edit it. The Gem sailing out of Boston is on June 7th, not June 9th. But since my kids get out of school June 2nd, that date allows a few days for snow days and still has the 3rd and 4th guest sail free promotion. But no rooms for 5 except suites.

Yes, the 3rd and 4th guest sail free promotion is only available on the June 2nd sailing of the Escape. (There is a June 9th sailing, but the promotion isn't available.) I think I'd rather be a bad Mom and take my kids out of school a little early vs. paying way more, LOL.

That doesn’t make you a bad mom. You’re taking the kids on a cruise. That makes you an excellent Mom!!!

We took our kids out for an entire week in October every other year until high school, for trips to WDW. Epcot IS educational!!

I don’t think a day or two at the end of the year will adversely affect their education!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just got back from the Escape last Sunday with our DGKs, they missed the last 3 days of school, these were makeup days but nobody seemed to care. When I booked it over a year out the 3rd and 4th were part of it, after about 3 months that promo was gone. The kids will love the Escape, ours did. The none of them knew what to expect(their first cruise) and were pretty much overwhelmed.

Thanks for the replies everyone! I'm leaning towards taking your advice and booking the Escape. It seems to be a great deal with the 3rd and 4th guest sail free promotion and the free at sea promotion compared with what I'm seeing on other cruise lines. Plus, they have rooms for 5 which is difficult to find. I'm definitely not above taking them out of school early, like I mentioned earlier they just missed their last day for Disney earlier this month. (School was extended for snow days.) It caught me off guard because in the past they always got out the week before Memorial Day and only went past the holiday if there were snow days. The 2018/2019 calendar came out and they changed it so their last day is now the Tuesday after Memorial Day, boo. My hubby likes to vacation the week of Memorial Day too because it is one less vacation day he has to use. As long as we read the terms and can cancel if they end up having a ton of snow days, I think we should be good. I only see it potentially being a problem with my oldest since he will be in 7th grade this year. (Finals, etc.) I'm excited to hear everyone loves the Escape, this will be our first family cruise!

Edited by sbd78

Escape also has my vote. Consider it an educational trip. We did the Escape out of NYC to Bermuda on June 3. Loved it and so will your children!

Edited by barb65
deleted a word

Just got back from Escape. Been on Gem twice and like Gem generally over Escape. I'd either book a "s" class suite on Gem or do the Escape for things for kids to do. Not much for kids on Gem other than clubs.