Freedom vs Vista

picomullet

Carnival has never had cabins that provided exclusivity for a fee because Carnival ships have been fully egalitarian.

No classes.

No "exclusive areas".

No segregation.

No fences.

No disrespect to their guests.

No pretence.

No gimmicks.

This is why I am saying: Carnival ethical standards are (sometimes far) above their competitors.

Spa on Carnival is not exclusive to "spa cabins", it's for everyone who want to pay and use it.

Havana area is a different thing.

This is an infection that Carnival contracted from some other brands.

This Carnival first experiment with fake exclusivity (available to Habana cabins guests only; open public after 7:00pm - smile) is available at a cost: the whole ship has lost one of the most enjoyable part of the cruising experience - full circle promenade.

No change on a cruise ship can be worse than converting a socially significant public area into "exclusive" reservation.

It's totally against Carnival traditions.

The impact is even worse on the Vista-class ships considering the increase in capacity (300 more passengers vs Breeze) and reduction in public space (elimination of the Thermal Suite).

A "cattle farm style" gate at the provincially looking Havana area:

115.jpg

Compare with the Conquest-class (to which Carnival Freedom belongs):

203.jpg

Posted by a Carnival advocate on the boards.

I think this is a great point and something that hasn't been discussed enough. One of the things I like about Carnival generally is that regardless of cabin, we have access to the entire ship. Now some things have an upcharge (such as specialty dining) but I can get access to that if I want it.

We had just a taste of class structure on our recent Princess cruise. The have what is called Club class dining. My understanding is that it has the same menu but the fact that Club class tables are on the other side of the obvious velvet rope caused my wife and I to only choose the 'classless' ;p;p MDR venue every night thereafter. I believe, but am not certain that Celebrity takes that entire concept to a whole other level with dedicated dining rooms, menus. etc.

We try to be somewhat cost conscious at times on a cruise. We were thrilled with our obstructed OV on our Alaska cruise because we paid a fraction of what others were willing to pay. But we chafe at anything that emphasizes 'being in steerage'. Using a Titanic reference, not being allowed up on Rose's deck would turn us off. That was never the case with Carnival and a trend we hope they don't expand on.

Let me also add that we do enjoy going upscale on occasion. Note our Windstar Star Pride cruise below. Finest cabin we have ever had at sea. Entire relevant crew knowing your name and preferred wine by the second day. One staff member for every two passengers. It's truly extraordinary, and we paid handsomely for it. But still, every passenger is treated the same.

Edited by jsglow
  • Like 1

For me personally, it is the balcony cabins. We only cruise in balcony cabins and the lack of privacy in the Havana area is a deal breaker. I don't want to see my neighbors or have people walk past my room. I want to be able to wake up early in the morning, sit on my balcony looking out on the ocean, drink my coffee while still wearing my pj's and not talk or make eye contact with anyone.
The lack of privacy cabins you're referring to are the ones on deck five, which, with the exception of the two that are suites, would be classified more as a lanai than a balcony. True balcony Havana cabins are located on decks 6 and 7, with 14 of them HI aft facing cabins, four of them are HM corner wrap aft cabins and there are 2 HL premium cabins on deck 6 in the first slot next to the corner afts. These 20 cabins would all offer you the privacy that you wish to have and are similar to the balcony cabins that you have sailed on previously.

I would only add the elimination of the spa (where we could escape crowds on the Dream-class ships).

You obviously paid a premium to escape the crowds at the spa on your previous Dream class sailings and now Carnival is offering cruisers a different way to escape the throngs by offering an exclusive area until 700 PM each day.

All Carnival is doing is jumping on the bandwagon of their competitors and offering an exclusive area for a price. Celebrity, Royal, Princess, NCL and MSC all have exclusive areas on their ships, so why should Carnival be any different and not offer it? You obviously have your opinion and you have decided to not sail on Vista class ships. You have 24 to choose from and 2 to not cruise on. That still gives you over 91% of the fleet.

I think this is not a correct comparison.

None of those "competitors" has converted promenade deck into an "exclusive" area.

Being the single most crowded mega ship ever built (by internal space ratio), the Vista cannot afford any "exclusive" areas: every square inch of open space counts.

Why do you think that deck five aft exclusivity on the Vista and Horizon is any more valuable than the exclusive areas by their competitors? The NCL Bliss has a deck 15 observation lounge at the front of the ship that takes up at least 30% of the deck, which is substantially larger than the Havana area. And what about the exclusive dining areas on NCL with the Haven, MSC with the Yacht Club, Royal with Coastal Kitchen, Princess with the Club Class and Celebrity with the Aqua Class Blu dining area.

By the way, the Vista and it's Horizon sister @ 135 K tons are certainly not considered mega ships since there are currently 35 larger ships afloat these days.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_largest_cruise_ships

And like I mentioned in my previous post, you still have 24 other ships in the Carnival fleet to sail on as well as all of the competition out there. Because of the success of the Havana area on the Vista, the number of cabins were slightly expanded on the Horizon and I assume will be the same on the Panorama. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

My family is trying Vista next year. Just wanted to try something new. That being said, I love Freedom & the staff has always been great on that ship for as long as she's been in Galveston.

Thanks! I see a Vista cruise in our future also. We really like cruising out of Galveston..

Because it's the only featute of this kind on the ship.
Not quite....the Havana area has 1 pool, 2 hot tubs, 1 bar and is at the very aft of the ship. Just go 5 decks north to the Lido deck #10, where you will find the Tides pool, 2 hot tubs and the Tides Bar. Same features....only difference is that those staying in the Havana area paid a premium for exclusivity until 700 PM and no rug rats under the age of 12.

Like I have previously stated, if you're so adamant against sailing on the Vista class ships, you still have 24 others to choose from in the fleet, but with the success of the program, it's a pretty good bet that the same concept or a similar one will be on the LNG ships when they come out in a few years.

In the meantime, I will be enjoying my Havana cabin this August and next August as well....kid free until 700 PM when I would have already visited the Alchemy bar, will be enjoying dinner and the entire Havana area can be overrun with kids for all I care.

We were trying to decide between the two ships out of Galveston. We were enticed by the Vista's bells and whistles, but eventually decided to go with the Freedom because we could get an extra day for the same price.

We don't really care about the itinerary; have already been to all of the ports.

• 1 month later...

I noticed that the Freedom's first sailing was in 2009 but the ship has never been dry docked for upgrades. Of course, the Vista's first sailing was in 2016. Most ships have been upgraded every few years. I was one of the first to sail on the Carnival Magic and it has already been dry docked twice. I thought that was a great ship the first time I was on it.

What seems to be confusing to me is that many are saying that you have to stand in long lines on the Vista in order to do anything. It makes it sound like you don't have to stand in long lines on the Freedom. However, if you look at the total capacity of each ship, the Freedom holds more people than the newer Vista does. Also, I show the Imax is on the Freedom but not on the Vista like someone stated. Some of these statements are confusing and/or don't make any sense...unless not many people are booking up the Freedom. Anyone care to chime in on that?

If you were a normal, middle class person in their 40s (not a hillbilly and not the Prince of Wales) that doesn't sail 2-5 times a year...maybe once every 3 or 4 years, which ship would you recommend? Pretend this person wants to do everything they can on the ship but doesn't want to spend say more than $500 extra dollars beyond what they've already scheduled. Thank you.

I noticed that the Freedom's first sailing was in 2009 but the ship has never been dry docked for upgrades. Of course, the Vista's first sailing was in 2016. Most ships have been upgraded every few years. I was one of the first to sail on the Carnival Magic and it has already been dry docked twice. I thought that was a great ship the first time I was on it.

What seems to be confusing to me is that many are saying that you have to stand in long lines on the Vista in order to do anything. It makes it sound like you don't have to stand in long lines on the Freedom. However, if you look at the total capacity of each ship, the Freedom holds more people than the newer Vista does. Also, I show the Imax is on the Freedom but not on the Vista like someone stated. Some of these statements are confusing and/or don't make any sense...unless not many people are booking up the Freedom. Anyone care to chime in on that?

If you were a normal, middle class person in their 40s (not a hillbilly and not the Prince of Wales) that doesn't sail 2-5 times a year...maybe once every 3 or 4 years, which ship would you recommend? Pretend this person wants to do everything they can on the ship but doesn't want to spend say more than $500 extra dollars beyond what they've already scheduled. Thank you.

I think you are getting your ships mixed up. Vista holds more people and has IMAX - Freedom which is a Conquest Class ship does not. Not sure where you're getting your information from, but it's wrong.

I think you are getting your ships mixed up. Vista holds more people and has IMAX - Freedom which is a Conquest Class ship does not. Not sure where you're getting your information from, but it's wrong.

You are absolutely right. I was getting the Freedom and Breeze mixed up. I was comparing 3 ships earlier. Still, how come the Freedom hasn't been dry docked for upgrades or refurbishment since 2009?

You are absolutely right. I was getting the Freedom and Breeze mixed up. I was comparing 3 ships earlier. Still, how come the Freedom hasn't been dry docked for upgrades or refurbishment since 2009?

From what I see it had it's dry dock 4/19/14-5/3/14 and is scheduled again 2/13/19-3/3/19.

Even the Breeze is bigger than the Freedom.

Capacity (double occupancy):

Freedom 2974

Breeze 3690

Vista 3934

As mentioned- the Freedom has undergone dry docks with another scheduled in February. It's pretty standard for all ships to undergo a dry dock at least every 5 yrs.

Also forgot to mention my opinion on what ship---our favorite class of ships is the Spirit Class (Legend, Pride, Miracle). That's because we enjoy the lido deck set up and they also have a lot fewer people on board than those bigger. Always seems to have a more laid back vibe and the entire aft-pool area is the serenity deck. Other than the big screen for late night movies it has a lot of what the next class up offers. However if you're looking for more bells & whistles-- the Conquest Class (Freedom, Conquest, Glory, Valor, Liberty) is a good one. Has almost all of the things to do on board as the Dream and even Vista class with just fewer people. It doesn't have ALL of the stuff the bigger ones do, but most of those extra things the bigger ones have cost extra (mostly extra for-fee eateries). If the ship is priority #1 (not ports) then decide on a class, specific ships really don't matter. As the ships in each class are nearly identical with just a different decor theme. And if you're looking to save $$ for whatever reason- try shoulder season if you already haven't (Sep-Nov, Jan-Feb, April-May). A lot of times you can book the same ship with the same exact itinerary for hundreds less than Holiday-Spring Break-Summer seasons. This is simply my preference, not looking for a heated debate ;p

• Like 1

Which would you chose Freedom or Vista? Been on Freedom before, not Vista.. Itinerary doesn't matter..

So undecided!! Thanks!!

We, in your position would chose Vista, so you can experience something new, and see whether you like the new!:D