In the ER w/husband. Have to cancel tomorrow’s cruise. Process?

dcsam

Update:

I called HAL’s after hours number late last night, after returning home from the hospital. They noted it, but advised me to contact HAL this morning. I did. They advised me to contact my TA. The TA will work things out with HAL. Of course, our TA isn’t open today, but I sent her an email letting her know what happened.

We really didn’t invest a huge amount into this cruise. I booked an outside category (though I debated quite a bit about a splurge into a balcony or Neptune - glad I didn’t). This isn’t one of those huge trips that one looks forward to and plans for many months in advance. It was a relatively last minute booking for a little getaway. Regardless of how everything works out (or not), the loss of any money isn’t too big of a deal. Just nice to be home all safe and sound.

Update:

I called HAL’s after hours number late last night, after returning home from the hospital. They noted it, but advised me to contact HAL this morning. I did. They advised me to contact my TA. The TA will work things out with HAL. Of course, our TA isn’t open today, but I sent her an email letting her know what happened.

We really didn’t invest a huge amount into this cruise. I booked an outside category (though I debated quite a bit about a splurge into a balcony or Neptune - glad I didn’t). This isn’t one of those huge trips that one looks forward to and plans for many months in advance. It was a relatively last minute booking for a little getaway. Regardless of how everything works out (or not), the loss of any money isn’t too big of a deal. Just nice to be home all safe and sound.

I love your attitude. Very refreshing!

I found this answer to a question on Insuremytrip.com that someone had asked regarding not insuring for 100% of non-refundable expenses for a trip.

Hope you don't have any problems because of that.

Question:

What are the ramifications of not insuring the full amount of a trip? For example, if I insure the non-refundable hotel and airfare, but not the tours (which are also not refundable, but of a lesser amount), will there be a problem if I need to cancel the trip for a covered reason? I am fine losing the tour costs in that case because of the deminimus cost

As long as you are not purchasing a policy that has benefits which require you to insure 100% of your prepaid non-refundable trip cost, you can insure any travel arrangements you wish to insure and you would only be reimbursed that amount if you had to cancel your trip for a covered reason. The benefits that require you to insure 100% are the pre-existing conditions waiver and cancel for any reason.

Edited to add: I see you've already spoken with HAL. I hope the insurance will take care of this for you.

That sounds about right. I believe if you want to cover ‘pre-existing’ conditions (the buy-insurance-shortly-after-you-put-any-money-down-on-cruise sort of thing), you need to cover the total amount of the cruise and all other costs (i.e., air, non-refundable accommodations...).

TBut, I purchased our insurance within 2 weeks of purchasing our cruise which was in 2016 ,which then covered us both for any potential pre-existing conditions.

Hi Funji1, if you don't mind me asking - did you purchase that insurance within 2 weeks of making an initial deposit? Or was it within 2 weeks of the full/final payment?

I'd like to be able to cover pre-exisiting conditions too, but we tend to book onboard 1-2 years out on our cruises, wondering if i also need to purchase the insurance that early.

Hi Funji1, if you don't mind me asking - did you purchase that insurance within 2 weeks of making an initial deposit? Or was it within 2 weeks of the full/final payment?

I'd like to be able to cover pre-exisiting conditions too, but we tend to book onboard 1-2 years out on our cruises, wondering if i also need to purchase the insurance that early.

Yes, I purchased our trip insurance within 2 weeks of making our initial deposit which was 1 1/2 years out from the scheduled cruise. I do this because my husband does have pre existing conditions and we want to avoid any possible hassles with them. Well worth the peace of mind! However, I never purchase our insurance through the cruise line.

I don’t think you need to pay what the total cost WILL be when you get your pre-existing coverage, but only for the amount you’ve deposited. Once you’re locked in with the pre-existing coverage, I think you can add to it as your payments occur. Hope that makes sense. Also, I don’t usually cover for things that can be rebooked for a later date - even if it means paying a change fee - like air fare. If you want total piece of mind and total coverage, it will cost you. Hopefully someone else will chime in.

Edited by dcsam