Hotel precruise

luv2go4

We have stayed at Villa Herencia and Casablanca in Old San Juan, and would recommend both. It is really fun to be able to walk to everything and not have to get a taxi.

We also stayed outside of OSJ at Tres Palmas, and it was lovely! But we prefer Old San Juan for the charm and character.

If you book online, they may have a two-night minimum, but if you call, they'll let your reserve one night, in my experience. Good luck!

We have stayed at The Sheraton Old San Juan, and have it booked again for precruise stay in January . Walking distance to drug store for last minute things, restaurants and even the forts . Can't wait to be there!

We have stayed at The Sheraton Old San Juan, and have it booked again for precruise stay in January . Walking distance to drug store for last minute things, restaurants and even the forts . Can't wait to be there!

We also have stayed at the Sheraton Old San Juan and we'll be there this September ;p

We narrowed it down to Sheraton OSJ and El Convento. In the end, El Convento won due to the non-corporate small boutique atmosphere. It wasn’t a huge difference in price. Sheraton has the convenience factor if you Ship is in the port across the street as ours will be, but the character appeal and reviews of El Convento won out. Probably can’t go wrong either way depending on your goals.

We narrowed it down to Sheraton OSJ and El Convento. In the end, El Convento won due to the non-corporate small boutique atmosphere. It wasn’t a huge difference in price. Sheraton has the convenience factor if you Ship is in the port across the street as ours will be, but the character appeal and reviews of El Convento won out. Probably can’t go wrong either way depending on your goals.

You're lucky you didn't find a huge difference...we did for our September precruise $385.00 vs $623.00 and that was just a garden queen room. The Sheraton works for us.

We have stayed at the Old Sheraton before and it was nice, however after the hurricane the prices they are trying to charge now are ridiculous! To me, no longer worth it.

This last stay we stayed at the DeCanter and it was absolutely fabulous! Great location and walking distance to just about everything!

We have stayed at the Old Sheraton before and it was nice, however after the hurricane the prices they are trying to charge now are ridiculous! To me, no longer worth it.

This last stay we stayed at the DeCanter and it was absolutely fabulous! Great location and walking distance to just about everything!

I don't think what we're paying for our pre-cruise this September 2018 (see my post above) is that bad for 2 nights at the Sheraton as compared to our last stay there May 2016.

I don't think what we're paying for our pre-cruise this September 2018 (see my post above) is that bad for 2 nights at the Sheraton as compared to our last stay there May 2016.

Compared to what I paid when I stayed there last time I thought it was expensive. We paid around $114 I think it was. I was checking there for our recent trip and it was just outrageous compared to some of the other hotels.

You're lucky you didn't find a huge difference...we did for our September precruise $385.00 vs $623.00 and that was just a garden queen room. The Sheraton works for us.

Quite possibly we were lucky. And if so, I will take it! I was pretty darned surprised at the hotel pricing this year vs last year. I have read that a few continued closed hotels have put rooms at a new premium over their pre hurricane premium pricing. We arrive late November. When I booked it was a difference for similar rooms of $50 for two nights ($500 vs $550). Just went back to check today’s rates at Sheraton for our dates, and the only rooms available are two double beds rooms for $544 - or suites.

Quite possibly we were lucky. And if so, I will take it! I was pretty darned surprised at the hotel pricing this year vs last year. I have read that a few continued closed hotels have put rooms at a new premium over their pre hurricane premium pricing. We arrive late November. When I booked it was a difference for similar rooms of $50 for two nights ($500 vs $550). Just went back to check today’s rates at Sheraton for our dates, and the only rooms available are two double beds rooms for $544 - or suites.

Yep....It's all about timing. I'm happy with my price for 2 nights king room with oceanview at the Sheraton.

El Convento would have been nice but not for the price difference staying in a queen garden room.

Enjoy your cruise...we're excited to do another B2B out of San Juan.

Yep....It's all about timing. I'm happy with my price for 2 nights king room with oceanview at the Sheraton.

El Convento would have been nice but not for the price difference staying in a queen garden room.

Enjoy your cruise...we're excited to do another B2B out of San Juan.

If I could have found two nights for a total of $385 with that room at the Sheraton I would have grabbed it too! You are clearly ahead. I think the pricing is influenced by the holidays at the Sheraton for us. But I will keep watching!

We stayed at the El Convento and were very pleased. Conveniently located right in the heart of Old San Juan. Easy walking distance to the forts and many restaurants. Very comfortable, historic hotel. It was a 20 minute ride to the PanAm pier. I am not sure what the current prices are.

• 5 weeks later...

I like staying in both the Condado and Isla Verde areas of San Juan before and after a cruise.

Condado is closer to the ship areas and the home of La Concha resort which is a favorite. Located on the beach and in the tourist area. (Make sure to eat breakfast at the small restaurant called Pinkys across the street-Kabanas for lunch)

The Best Western, Wave Hotel and Comfort inn are more price conscious alternatives. All within a few blocks of the beach.

The best beach is in Isla Verde near the airport. I love ❤️ the Intercontinental resort/hotel. Pool area is an oasis. Then walk the beach of silky sands.

Economical alternatives are the Water and Beach club boutique hotel. Just beware of blue lighting used throughout instead of clear.

I also have enjoyed the Tryp hotel.

Any way, enjoy your hotel, the beaches, your cruise and spend at least one or two days in Old San Juan.