A Homebody goes to Haven (Blissfully???)

Maya1234

Ok. This probably isn’t going to be a review for you “Any day on a cruise is better than a day in the office types.” Which is maybe most ( all?) of you. But for those who are more reluctant travelers or for those who want to get the perspective of their less travel happy -family member who they are going on a cruise I’m going to post my thoughts and opinions on my first ever cruise. Also I have no idea how to post pictures so many aren’t going to be interested for that reason alone. Oh and this intro post is long so feel free to skip. You are excited about this review already aren’t you!

So, me. As the title indicates I’m a homebody. I like my work as an attorney. I concentrate on commercial matters like consumer fraud, have done pro bono work in the areas of immigration rights and marriage equality (and have had some amazing days in the office.) My husband and I are empty nesters, parents of two millenials.

Our children will happily report to you that we are “not fun people” which you’ve aleady likely picked up on based on the “I’d rather be working” thing .

My husband does like to travel so are deal is this. When we go it has to be very very nice. When I started researching I looked at the very high end cruise lines but after a lot of talking to a lot of people decided to get the big cruise ship experience in the Haven.

We flew yesterday into Seattle. I hate flying. I’m not afraid but I find the whole process just degrading. The interaction between airline staff and most customers seems to be one of person- who -has -committed -a -low level -crime and minimum security jail staff. Can you see what a great attitude I have about travel? Last year with paying for college behind us I told DH, First class or I’d rather not go. I definitely find the experience to be 180 percent better. Everyone is polite ( which I had not found before) and it’s a lot more comfortable. My husband says I’ve now ruined travel for him because he can’t see going coach again.

I have TERRIBLE luck when it comes to travel. Almost every time I’ve flown my flight has been cancelled delayed. ( Right now you are probably crossing your fingers that you never run into me on a flight). But yesterday was the best experience I’ve had where we actually took off early. I’d arranged for car service through Shuttle Express. The driver was excellent and we arrived at the Seattle Marriott Waterfront in time to go to Pikes Market. I had made reservations at the Pink Door. It was near the market but a bit of a challenge to find. They sat us at the window with a beautiful view. The restaurant itself was so pretty and the food (Italian focus but steak and fish too) was outstanding!

This morning I looked out the window wondering if I’d see the Bliss and OMG it was right there! Like I could touch it almost. Wow it is big! I’ve arranged for a bellman to take us to the pier. Will update later for those interested in my admittedly curmudgeonly take on what let’s face it I’m lucky to be able to do.

Maya, you definitely sound like my kind of friend :D

I can definitely identify with you.

Very much looking forward to your review, just yesterday I was checking out Car Services from SeaTac so I will check out Shuttle Express for our September Bliss cruise.

Enjoy your cruise your Haven (ly) week on the Bliss. :cool:

Well I’m excited about your review. I’m an accountant, not a reluctant traveller but I’m very fond of home too and travel has to give me something that I don’t get at home. For me it’s all about the food and a little late autumn sun before a long Irish winter.

First cruise on the Epic last October, wonderful but we made lots of silly mistakes; doing the same cruise this year but with the benefit of experience.

Hope you have a fantastic cruise.

Check in was a breeze. The bellman from the hotel walked us over and someone grabbed our bags from him on the sidewalk. He asked if we had our passports elsewhere on us before taking our bags! We did of course but A smart move to avoid problems. Check in was fast. Coffee teas coffee cake and fruit and cookies in Haven boarding area. Big comfy chairs in the Haven waiting area.

One thing of note. DH and I noted how markedly friendly the security people were. It was like they made being super friendly a job requirement!

Check in was a breeze. The bellman from the hotel walked us over and someone grabbed our bags from him on the sidewalk. He asked if we had our passports elsewhere on us before taking our bags! We did of course but A smart move to avoid problems. Check in was fast. Coffee teas coffee cake and fruit and cookies in Haven boarding area. Big comfy chairs in the Haven waiting area.

One thing of note. DH and I noted how markedly friendly the security people were. It was like they made being super friendly a job requirement!

That's the "Northwest Nice" culture of Seattle you're experiencing.

Getting on board was exactly like described. Easy and fast. Then after the brief orientation in the Haven OL came absolute chaos. People charged the concierge desk and the two poor people sitting at the desk were overwhelmed. It took a long time to get through each person.

People started to make racetrack reservations (TGI didn’t need those!) Then it turned out that for 99 bucks per person you could get unlimited use of the race track in a separate line. I haven’t heard of this before so maybe it’s new. Haven families were snatching those up in a heart beat.

The real chaos ensued when it turned out that the person who was supposed to be there to book spa services didn’t know how. The head concierge guy was frantically called and he then made a “this is unacceptable” call to someone else.

We had the free lunch in Margaritavile which was totally fine. The ceasar salad was very good. DH went to the ship tour and I’m relaxing in the very nice courtyard penthouse room whose main flaw so many pillows you can barely lie on the bed. I’m going to ask our butler to have them removed. When we meet him.

Getting on board was exactly like described. Easy and fast. Then after the brief orientation in the Haven OL came absolute chaos. People charged the concierge desk and the two poor people sitting at the desk were overwhelmed. It took a long time to get through each person.

People started to make racetrack reservations (TGI didn’t need those!) Then it turned out that for 99 bucks per person you could get unlimited use of the race track in a separate line. I haven’t heard of this before so maybe it’s new. Haven families were snatching those up in a heart beat.

The real chaos ensued when it turned out that the person who was supposed to be there to book spa services didn’t know how. The head concierge guy was frantically called and he then made a “this is unacceptable” call to someone else.

We had the free lunch in Margaritavile which was totally fine. The ceasar salad was very good. DH went to the ship tour and I’m relaxing in the very nice courtyard penthouse room whose main flaw so many pillows you can barely lie on the bed. I’m going to ask our butler to have them removed. When we meet him.

Now THAT is wacky. How could the spa person sent to the Haven to make reservations not know how? :o

It sounds like the Race Track is going to make NCL a fortune.

Did you go to Margaritaville because the Haven was too crowded?

One thing of note. DH and I noted how markedly friendly the security people were. It was like they made being super friendly a jobrequirement!

That's because they aren't TSA. They will tell you it's because we are port authority. :)

Now THAT is wacky. How could the spa person sent to the Haven to make reservations not know how? :o

It sounds like the Race Track is going to make NCL a fortune.

Did you go to Margaritaville because the Haven was too crowded?

Yeah the spa thing was crazy. I’m not lok8ng fir sos services so I was just amused.

Literally every person ahead of us in line with kids and even some without was doing the unlimited racetrack. I might go just to observe tomorrow.

Muster drill was super easy except for trying to get an elevator back to the room. We used that as a chance to explore. The non Haven areas of the ship are super crowded and loud. But the Haven is very quiet.

An attendant in the lounge just moved a magazine from a couch to the table right next to it. Hmmm. I wonder if that’s going to happen repeatedly. The Haven OL is pretty quiet just a few minutes before sail away.

Muster drill was super easy except for trying to get an elevator back to the room. We used that as a chance to explore. The non Haven areas of the ship are super crowded and loud. But the Haven is very quiet.

An attendant in the lounge just moved a magazine from a couch to the table right next to it. Hmmm. I wonder if that’s going to happen repeatedly. The Haven OL is pretty quiet just a few minutes before sail away.

Yes!! Here on board as well and it took a good 45 minutes to get back to our room lol. Tip: go down and stay on!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes!! Here on board as well and it took a good 45 minutes to get back to our room lol. Tip: go down and stay on!

True words! we always do that.....after all, it only goes two directions, it's going to head in the other direction sooner or later. And, we're in no hurry to get anywhere, that's the Captain's worry. We're in vacation mode, just go with the flow.

Lunch at Margaritaville is free on embarkation day for Haven guests so that's likely why they went there.

Yes. Exactly. The rest of yesterday passed very quickly. After dinner at La Cucina. Very good, we went to the First Night show. The previews of the shows as was one would expect. The weird stuff was the interpretive dance ( that is the only way I can describe it) to highlight the kids clubs, art classes and the pool and slides. Then there was the comedian. He was ok. Mildly amusing. Like you might occasionally chuckle. Which is what 99 percent of the audience did. But the lady behind us seemed to think he was pretty much a combo of Jerry Seinfeld and whoever one might find the funniest person working today ( for me that’s John Mulaney....but I digress)

Anyway my husband and I thought she was either super drunk or a ringer or just someone who pretty much finds everything funny and is willing to express herself loudly. She also sang along to all the Four Seasons songs and the Beatles number...which would have been incredibly annoying except truth be told she had an excellent voice. If I’d been singing along everyone around me would have justifiably wanted me hauled away by security.

We then stopped to watch the Majority Rules game show. This was pretty much intolerable to watch except each round when they made the last person who brought up their answer card dance. If that had been me the host woukd have wanted one of those vaudeville hooks to get me off. But these people all had mad skills.

I did see Haven OL Staff neatly folding a sweater put on a big chair and placing it on the table next to the chairs. This is starting to seem like a pattern.

This morning I finally got chance to organize the room which helped my homebody needs a little.

Yes. Exactly. The rest of yesterday passed very quickly. After dinner at La Cucina. Very good, we went to the First Night show. The previews of the shows as was one would expect. The weird stuff was the interpretive dance ( that is the only way I can describe it) to highlight the kids clubs, art classes and the pool and slides. Then there was the comedian. He was ok. Mildly amusing. Like you might occasionally chuckle. Which is what 99 percent of the audience did. But the lady behind us seemed to think he was pretty much a combo of Jerry Seinfeld and whoever one might find the funniest person working today ( for me that’s John Mulaney....but I digress)

Anyway my husband and I thought she was either super drunk or a ringer or just someone who pretty much finds everything funny and is willing to express herself loudly. She also sang along to all the Four Seasons songs and the Beatles number...which would have been incredibly annoying except truth be told she had an excellent voice. If I’d been singing along everyone around me would have justifiably wanted me hauled away by security.

We then stopped to watch the Majority Rules game show. This was pretty much intolerable to watch except each round when they made the last person who brought up their answer card dance. If that had been me the host woukd have wanted one of those vaudeville hooks to get me off. But these people all had mad skills.

I did see Haven OL Staff neatly folding a sweater put on a big chair and placing it on the table next to the chairs. This is starting to seem like a pattern.

This morning I finally got chance to organize the room which helped my homebody needs a little.

"I did see Haven OL Staff neatly folding a sweater put on a big chair and placing it on the table next to the chairs. This is starting to seem like a pattern."

LOL. It's a Haven version of "chair hog" eviction maybe.

"I did see Haven OL Staff neatly folding a sweater put on a big chair and placing it on the table next to the chairs. This is starting to seem like a pattern."

LOL. It's a Haven version of "chair hog" eviction maybe.

That grey one? Saw it folded too. At breakfast in the Horizon lounge this morning around 8 am. No one really in there!

A few random observations about the Haven:

1) The Haven restaurant really is amazing. Just beautiful, excellent views, wonderful service and good food.

2) Cyclops’ review was correct about the Haven OL carpet. A huge mistake. Absolutely ruins the views much of the time.

3) Every single Haven staff member is wonderful

4) Tonight this family walked into the Haven restaurant and my husband whispers. “ Ugh I hate that guy “ Huh. DH never talks like that. “That’s Tony Dungy” I asked if he was sure. “I’ll never forget that guy, he beat the Bears in the Super Bowl”. I wasn’t sure I believed him til the Daily came out and sure enough, Mr Dungy is speaking tomorrow in Q. Guess where we won’t be tomorrow. Lol!

A few random observations about the Haven:

1) The Haven restaurant really is amazing. Just beautiful, excellent views, wonderful service and good food.

2) Cyclops’ review was correct about the Haven OL carpet. A huge mistake. Absolutely ruins the views much of the time.

3) Every single Haven staff member is wonderful

4) Tonight this family walked into the Haven restaurant and my husband whispers. “ Ugh I hate that guy “ Huh. DH never talks like that. “That’s Tony Dungy” I asked if he was sure. “I’ll never forget that guy, he beat the Bears in the Super Bowl”. I wasn’t sure I believed him til the Daily came out and sure enough, Mr Dungy is speaking tomorrow in Q. Guess where we won’t be tomorrow. Lol!

Enjoying your delightfully 'dry' review very much, please keep it coming!