Does room service deliver food from MDR dinner menus? Other baby cruising tips?

The last cruise my husband and I went on was a Celebrity Mediterranean cruise, for our honeymoon 2 years ago. We splurged on our first balcony cabin ever, and loved it! We especially liked being able to order room service from the dinner menu for that night (we'd take a photo earlier in the day), and eat on our balcony.

Now we have a 9 month old son and are contemplating our next cruise! We're thinking we'll cruise out of Boston or New York, since those are driving distance (still haven't flown with the baby, and there is so much more stuff to pack!), and that we'll get a balcony cabin again so we can sit outside while the baby is napping. I've seen both Celebrity and Royal Caribbean itineraries, and I was wondering if you can order from the dining room menu during dinner hours on Royal Caribbean ships. With the baby, it would be nice to have some more relaxed dinners on the balcony.

And any other tips for cruising with a baby on Royal Caribbean? The two ships I've been looking at are Anthem of the Seas and Serenade of the Seas (which we we on for a 7 day Caribbean itinerary in 2012). Thanks!!

You will be able to take the baby in the stroller with you to dinner. We’ve been traveling with our kids since they were as young as 6 weeks. We would just take turns holding the baby at the table if needed! And don’t rule out the Windjammer. They serve a lot of the same food at dinner, and it’s so much more relaxed.

If having dinner regularly in the MDR, you could request for purees to be made for every meal. They are really good about trying their best to make sure baby's needs are accommodated - we had mashed peas, steamed carrots, baked potatoes etc for our babies when they were younger. Requests for no salt were kindly accommodated as well. Now that our kids are bigger, they know they often go for the grilled chicken breast or salmon and will make it without salt if the request is made in advance.

As for other cruising tips - you can rent bags of toys (no charge) from the nursery and rotate the bags as well. This way, baby will have some form of entertainment in the stateroom.

Enjoy your cruise, our children have always started cruising at 6-9 months of age and it has always been enjoyable for us.

In standard cabins, there is no dining table...makes it difficult to eat a meal without a table!

Many ships have standard height small tables on the balcony. Plenty of room and comfortable for a meal. Remember weather/wind might make balcony dining a bit difficult.

enjoy

M

Many ships have standard height small tables on the balcony. Plenty of room and comfortable for a meal. Remember weather/wind might make balcony dining a bit difficult.

enjoy

M

not really. for one, non suites have the small side table, not a full size round table. and even the round tables can't fit 3 comfortably

Thanks for the responses! We booked a 5 day Anthem cruise yesterday, with an extra space balcony. It sounds like we'll be eating dinners in the MDR, but it'll be nice to have extra play space for the baby.

Does the MDR ever pack dessert to go if you ask for it? That might be another way to make mealtimes more manageable for the baby.

Thanks for the responses! We booked a 5 day Anthem cruise yesterday, with an extra space balcony. It sounds like we'll be eating dinners in the MDR, but it'll be nice to have extra play space for the baby.

Does the MDR ever pack dessert to go if you ask for it? That might be another way to make mealtimes more manageable for the baby.

Yes, you can get dessert to go.

On our last cruise we found it easier to feed our kids breakfast in the room. I went solo to the MDR and ordered breakfast to-go and they were very accommodating. The food was not in boxes, but the plates were covered for easy carrying.

I’m not sure how this would work for dinner given multiple courses, but they will be happy to accommodate whatever (reasonable) request you have. For instance, one evening when the main dishes arrived, one of our children was having a melt down and they happily brought plate covers so my wife could take her and her food to the room as not to disturb others.

We found the MDR staff (on Oasis) to be extremely accommodating with our kids.