Atmosphere on short Caribbean cruises on SB?

Catlover54

1. DH and I are booked on two 7-day BTB Caribbean cruises with SB Odyssey in a few months, figuring it is high time we go there even though neither of us snorkle, golf, nor ocean swim, and we do like SB overall. Are the pax types pretty much the same as you might see on two 7-day BTB in Greek islands which I thought was just fine a couple years ago, or is it more hectic and chaotic, with worse food and service?

2. Do most people just walk around or do private tours, or are any ship excursions you remember worthwhile, in particular for photo ops??

3. Do you have any favorite upscale dinner restaurants in Bridgetown or Gustavia ( we are in port till 11pm those nights) for European style food?

Thanks in advance!

1. Crowd is comparable - these shorter cruises are more feasible for working ptofessionals so we think the age range skews slightly. Service was the same as always.

2. Most walk around, go to local beaches, or book their own expeditions. We've done a coupkecof snorkel trips through the ship and they were great. Be sure you know when your Beach BBQ is - there were a few reports this year about folks missing Caviar in the Surf due to overlapping ship tours.

3. Gustavia definitely has fantastic European-style restaurants. I'm less certain about Bridgetown as we leaned more local there. We did have one fantastic sunset dinner at a famed lobster shack - lobster and champagne on the beach was delightful and we'll visit that spot again this year.

On many Caribbean islands, renting a car is an ideal. The best in my view are Anguilla, Antigua, Barbados, Dominica and St Kitts. You can see what you want to see at your own pace, call in on any number of deserted beaches or have a nice lunch at one of the resorts. Driving is easy-easy, even for Americans. Islands which I would not recommend car hire are St Maarten/Martin and Martinique which have horrendous traffic and St Lucia where it's just dangerous.

We did a 7-day trip on the Quest. We were auditioning the ship for an Antarctic trip later on. The 7 days were lovely, especially the Isles des Saintes. Gustavia was a dump in our view, just a shopping mall. But I guess you need to stay at a resort to see it properly.

I have a question about the Caviar in the Surf event.

We are looking at a 7 night itinerary on the Odyssey and I wondered if they held it every cruise? We would stop at Carambola Beach, St Kitts on the first day and I have read that this is one of the locations where the event is held but I wasn't sure if they would do it on the first day?

Is there any way of finding out?

Many thanks.

Renting a car sounds good, assuming driving on the right.

Fletcher, as someone with a great photography “eye” as well as skill, do you have any favorite spots for photos? ( DH, who mostly travels to take photos, would like to know :))

These ports:

287b421760eb0a4a6fa53771b8487068.png

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Renting a car sounds good, assuming driving on the right

Sorry, Catlover, but most islands you drive on the left (complicated by fact that most cars are imported from USA so have left hand drive!). The French islands are drive on right as is, I think, St Martin.

Renting a car sounds good, assuming driving on the right

Sorry, Catlover, but most islands you drive on the left (complicated by fact that most cars are imported from USA so have left hand drive!). The French islands are drive on right as is, I think, St Martin.

Also, investigate what sort of vehicles they are renting. This ain't Hertz at LAX.:eek: We once rented a Suzuki (it turned out to be something called a Samurai) in St. Barts. To say it had brakes was being very generous. It also turned much better to starboard than to port! Quite a thrill. One of our friends in the back seat started singing Adam Sandler's "P-O-S Car" during our tour. Very appropriate.....:cool:

Edited by Jim Avery

Renting a car sounds good, assuming driving on the right.

Fletcher, as someone with a great photography “eye” as well as skill, do you have any favorite spots for photos? ( DH, who mostly travels to take photos, would like to know :))

These ports:

287b421760eb0a4a6fa53771b8487068.png

A couple of comments from a Seabournite who is also into photography .....

Ile des Saintes (12/26) is my favourite Caribbean Island. It is a French island and very walkable. You can walk up to the fortress where there are some great views. You can walk over to the beaches or you can just walk around the shops.

We found that a few shopkeepers were uncomfortable speaking English but when they found I spoke French they opened up and were absolutely delightful. So, even if you don't speak French, just make an effort and you will find that it pays dividends.

You do not need a tour on this island. Everything is 'doable' on your own and there are lots of opportunities for photos depending on his interests.

St. Johns (12/25). I didn't find the town at all interesting and it was pretty crowded. We did a tour over to Nelson's Dockyard which was interesting with some good opportunities for photos.

Bridgetown (12/29). Last time we were there we decided to walk into town. I didn't think it was all that interesting and there were no a lot of decent photo opportunities. I would look at doing a tour.

Jost van Dyke (1/4). If you stay on the island this is a beach day. Last time we were there we did a fast motor boat tour which was a lot of fun. Limited opportunities for photos, however. If you go to the beach, buy a T-shirt from the Soggy Dollar.

Castries (12/28). We did the island tour which was pretty good and lots of opportunities for photos. The town itself also looked interesting and, next time, I would do that.

Mayreu (12/30). This is probably the beach party. If you want photos of aging and often overweight (that would be me) guests in their swimsuits whooping it up with caviar and champagne, this is the place to be.

On my last two cruises we had the opportunity to do a tour with a photography professional. They were both outstanding, especially the one in Yangon.

About the cars. Firms like Hertz and Avis are franchise outfits and it's true some of the cars might not be very new and have a few issues. Automatics readily available. Most firms will meet you off the pier. I've not had a serious problem with any of them - and I've hired maybe a dozen cars over the years. Most cars will be Japanese. On the Commonwealth islands driving is always on the left, as in the UK, but believe me, there is hardly any traffic and you will have no problems at all.

PHOTOS -

Iles des Saintes. Gorgeous bay, fab view from the fortress, take a public tourist bus both ways.

Castries - Interior of the cathedral. Amazing. Get to the Pitons by water if you can. Soufriere town is highly photogenic if you have the nerve.

Barbados - Nothing on the west coast. East coast vistas are wild and superb.

Antigua - The classic look-out shot over English Harbour can't be beat. Some lovely little churches. Half Moon Bay - the most dramatic beach on the island.

Anguilla - Drive the island, maybe have lunch at the newly refurbed Belmond Cap Juluca. Perhaps the best beach in the entire eastern Caribbean.

St Kitts - Brimstone Fortress is a fab photo-op and an unmissable sight.

All my Caribbean shots are here -

https://www.flickr.com/photos/up70mm/collections/72157666728612361/

I have a question about the Caviar in the Surf event.

We are looking at a 7 night itinerary on the Odyssey and I wondered if they held it every cruise? We would stop at Carambola Beach, St Kitts on the first day and I have read that this is one of the locations where the event is held but I wasn't sure if they would do it on the first day?

Is there any way of finding out?

Many thanks.

Friends of mine were on a 7night. Odyssey cruise in March. Their first port was Carambola Beach and they did have the bbq/Caviar event that day.

I was there in December 2017 on Sojourn and it was a fantastic day, I think it's one of my favourite locations for the event.

Please let us know what response you get from Seabourn Club.

Many thanks!

I will be printing these suggestions to help me plan. DH does not go on all cruises with me as he is so busy, so I want this one to be especially well-organized in advance.

Roxburgh, I can read most French signs, and can speak a little French ( though only high school level) or use an app to look things up, but it is not fluent, has poor grammar, low vocabulary, and an odd accent, and sometimes I accidentally toss in Spanish words because of similar Latin roots that come to mind ( studied Latin way back, plus l lived many years in LA and needed to know some basic Spanish for key functions). In France some people got offended by my butchering of their beautiful language, combined with body language, such that I felt it would have been better to say nothing.

But it sounds like in the islands it could be useful to babble away no matter how awful it sounds, if people do not know English! Of course there is danger people will answer back in rapid-fire I do not follow, which could lead to trouble, so will bring my google translator.

Fletcher, your photos ( some are like paintings!) are so beautiful as well as helpful for planning.

Roxburgh, if you have a link to any Caribbean photos you are comfortable sharing, I would love to see some.

I might turn out enjoying this destination more than expected.

Many thanks!

I will be printing these suggestions to help me plan. DH does not go on all cruises with me as he is so busy, so I want this one to be especially well-organized in advance.

Roxburgh, I can read most French signs, and can speak a little French ( though only high school level) or use an app to look things up, but it is not fluent, has poor grammar, low vocabulary, and an odd accent, and sometimes I accidentally toss in Spanish words because of similar Latin roots that come to mind ( studied Latin way back, plus l lived many years in LA and needed to know some basic Spanish for key functions). In France some people got offended by my butchering of their beautiful language, combined with body language, such that I felt it would have been better to say nothing.

But it sounds like in the islands it could be useful to babble away no matter how awful it sounds, if people do not know English! Of course there is danger people will answer back in rapid-fire I do not follow, which could lead to trouble, so will bring my google translator.

Fletcher, your photos ( some are like paintings!) are so beautiful as well as helpful for planning.

Roxburgh, if you have a link to any Caribbean photos you are comfortable sharing, I would love to see some.

I might turn out enjoying this destination more than expected.

I don't make my photos available online (e.g. Flikr, etc.) and I sell my better ones as stock photos. I could put a few up on this thread if you re interested and others are okay with it.

Roxburgh. Which agencies? I’m with Robert harding (uk).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I use Shutterstock.

ps. It isn't about the earnings. It is about people liking my photos to the extent that they will pay money for them. And it does help justify buying that new lens. :halo:

Roxburgh, I would be delighted to see whatever pix you are comfortable posting. I show great photos I see here to DH when he has time. He is also a Flickr fan and contributor ( only amateur, as his main job has grueling schedules) and is very appreciative of photographic talent and creativity.

Roxburgh, I would be delighted to see whatever pix you are comfortable posting. I show great photos I see here to DH when he has time. He is also a Flickr fan and contributor ( only amateur, as his main job has grueling schedules) and is very appreciative of photographic talent and creativity.

Here are a couple I took in 2010 of Les Saintes.

Nb. I didn't have an especially good camera then and there has been no post-processing on these images.

Hvw4Yr.jpg

wmbdEq.jpg

You sound just like me!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I would add that since I have been taking photos for stock as well as for fun, my photography skills have increased significantly. Having a focus really makes a difference.