VAT charged on ship if Gibraltar is a port of call?

cruzemaven

I have read a few different explanations of when VAT is applied to onboard purchases such as beverage packages, specialty dining, shore excursions, spa services and onboard store purchases when sailing to EU ports. But I also read that if your cruise also stops in Gibraltar, than there will be no VAT charges. Our cruise sails from Rome to Rome with stops in Spanish ports. Does the stop in Gibraltar exempt the entire cruise from VAT charges or just what's purchased onboard while in Gibraltar? Would it be wise to pre-purchase online all dining,spa and beverage packages to save VAT charges? Thanks for any enlightenment:confused:

Interesting question but IMHO (and it’s very humble!) I can’t see what difference it makes to the VAT for onboard purchases! Surely it’s nothing to do with the port of call as technically you are not in that country unless you disembark! I’m probably completely wrong so experts, please enlighten us.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have read a few different explanations of when VAT is applied to onboard purchases such as beverage packages, specialty dining, shore excursions, spa services and onboard store purchases when sailing to EU ports. But I also read that if your cruise also stops in Gibraltar, than there will be no VAT charges. Our cruise sails from Rome to Rome with stops in Spanish ports. Does the stop in Gibraltar exempt the entire cruise from VAT charges or just what's purchased onboard while in Gibraltar? Would it be wise to pre-purchase online all dining,spa and beverage packages to save VAT charges? Thanks for any enlightenment:confused:

This isn't much of an answer, but just got back from the same itinerary last month. There were announcements in the dailies a time or two regarding taxes being charged on purchases in somebody's waters--Spain or France I think, but truth be told I wasn't paying attention to it. So, if it's any comfort, they do give you a heads up.I had in mind that it was only on goods purchased in the onboard stores but I have nothing to base that on, so here's hoping someone else can give a more complete answer.

2 completely unsolicited suggestions:

In Cartagena the civil war air raid tunnel museum is nicely done.

In Vilafranche if you have any interest in modern architecture, Eileen Grey's E-1027, and Corbusier's contributions,are a quick commuter train away in Roquebrune-Cap-Martin.Best to reserve a spot early becuase tours are limited to 8 or so--but the subject is just esoteric enough that walk-ups are sometimes able to be accommodated. We managed the morning tour there, lunch, a delightful couple of hours at Villa Ephrussi de Rothschild, and then took a leisurely, albeit lengthy, walk back to the tenders.

Interesting question but IMHO (and it’s very humble!) I can’t see what difference it makes to the VAT for onboard purchases! Surely it’s nothing to do with the port of call as technically you are not in that country unless you disembark! I’m probably completely wrong so experts, please enlighten us.

On a Med Cruise it is VERY much to do with the ports of Call. Unless your cruise calls in at a non EU port (e.g. Montenegro, Gibraltar, Canaries, Israel, Turkey, Alabania and any North African Country) you don;t technically leave the EU and are therefore subject to VAT

Beware though if you sail from some ports such as Barcelona, technically the ship should charge local VAT until you are in international waters. In practice in the past, X did paper invoices and only put the charges through the computer system once in international waters thereby not having to apply Spanish VAT to purchases ( this was frequently done for those purchasing or upgrading drink packages upon boarding.

So it seems that on my particular cruise, because we stop in Gibraltar, we do not have to be concerned with onboard VAT charges even if we’re still in Italian, French or Spanish territorial waters? Yet cmhdoogals on post#5 recalls some announcements of taxes in territorial waters while on the same itinerary not long ago. Wish Celebrity would clarify the situation. Normally, we would wait until we board to purchase some packages. But 22% VAT is definitely something to avoid if possible... thanks to all for your input

This is why most round Britain cruises stop at Guernsey - because the Channel Islands are not in the EU. That means that the whole cruise is VAT free. This works even if landing in Guernsey is not possible due to the weather.

So it seems that on my particular cruise, because we stop in Gibraltar, we do not have to be concerned with onboard VAT charges even if we’re still in Italian, French or Spanish territorial waters? Yet cmhdoogals on post#5 recalls some announcements of taxes in territorial waters while on the same itinerary not long ago. Wish Celebrity would clarify the situation. Normally, we would wait until we board to purchase some packages. But 22% VAT is definitely something to avoid if possible... thanks to all for your input

cruzemaven, come over to the Reflection roll call.