Alaska multi-generation cruise

artclass

Lokking for August 2019 Alaska from Seattle for grandparents with children and 3 grandkids 6,8,10. Bliss sounds so crowded from reviews and Ovation just 3 stars. Looking for stress free and not a hassle with reservations and long lines. Could use some help.

Unless you are also considering upscale or AI lines, eliminating the two ships above pretty much leaves you with Princess or Holland America as they represent about 80% of the capacity in Alaska. But your grandkids would probably enjoy those larger more modern RCI and NCL ships. Every ship in Alaska is going to be full beyond standard capacity, with nearly all third and fourth berths occupied. So expect to need to arrive early and possibly line up for most dining and entertainment on board. Traditional Dining would probably be best for you, so as Bliss has only open dining you need to take that into consideration. But "stress free" during the peak of summer vacation on a mainstream cruise line with four to six ships full of family groups at each port--you need to be prepared to grin and bear through a few speed bumps.

Have you considered RCI Radiance of the Seas? It's a beautiful ship and perfect for multi-generational cruisers.

Also, take a look at Celebrity and Princess. Both have good activities, decent nightlife and plenty of families on Alaskan cruises.

I recommend avoiding Holland America with the kids.

Be sure to consider itinerary in addition to cruise line and ships. Many folks recommend choosing a cruise that includes Glacier Bay national park, especially if you think you will only be doing 1 Alaska cruise. Glacier Bay is an entire day of scenic viewing, with multiple glaciers, and park rangers which board and give lots of info. Not all cruise lines go there (Royal does not for example), as they do it by permits, and only 2 ships per day are allowed in. I have been there twice now and it was the highlight of our trips.

Princess and Holland America seem to be the best regarded for / most experienced with Alaska cruises, but cruising is often about compromise. I don't like the demographic on HA (Alaska cruises are already skewed older). We've done an Alaska cruise on both Norwegian and Princess, and have Royal Caribbean Ovation booked. Note that most of the Ovation reviews are for the current Chinese itinerary, so I'd keep that in mind, and also look at reviews for their other Quantum-class ships and for their current Alaska cruises (on Radiance and Explorer - Ovation is taking over a similar route to what Explorer currently does).

The biggest consideration however is 1-way vs. round trip. The 1-way cruises are typically considered superior as far as itinerary as you go further North / visit more ports / don't waste time leaving Seattle, but they cost more money (for both cruise and flights), and its a longer flight. For a 1-way cruise, consider adding on a land portion, especially if this is a once in a lifetime trip. We've only done Seattle round trips as we live here and due to cost, but are well aware we are essentially wasting 1 day leaving Seattle (plus that 1 sea day after leaving Seattle tends to have rough ish seas).

Also consider time of year. Early May and late September are the least expensive, and less kids (as most are still in school), but not as ideal as far as weather, excursion options, daylight hours, etc. However, we have only cruised those two months due to cost, and much preferred May (looked more Alaska-like as there was more ice in the water and snow on the mountains and it was cooler, and the days were longer).

As far as choosing a child-friendly line, although many of the ships won't have as many of the active activities, they may still have a strong kids program, so that is something to look into. Also, there will be the 3 of them together, and especially in the peak season there will be a decent amount of other kids. Plus Alaska cruises are often quite port intensive (less free time on the ship).

You may also want to check out the Alaska board.

I agree with the others that there will always be some long lines, hassles, stressors with a vacation. However, with some planning/research and patience, these can be managed. Whenever I find myself frustrated with something on a vacation, I try to remind myself I am on vacation!

We did Carnival 2 years ago and there were a lot of different age groups! There were a lot of teens (not too many in the toddler age, but I think that's because it's Alaska). There were a lot of older people, and all those in between. We had a great time! Very relaxed, I don't remember any long lines for anything either.

Oh, just a piece of advice, just in case the older ones haven't traveled in a long time, make sure they have their passport. Our hotel in Seattle was telling us about the same type of group cruising Alaska, multi-generational. And the grandpa in the group never realized he needed a passport, he hadn't traveled in years. I just felt so bad for them, he couldn't go on the cruise!