Need Packing Suggestions for Baltic Cruise

This August we cruise the Baltic on the Brilliance of the Seas: Our ports are: Amsterdam, Copenhagen, Stockholm, Tallin, St. Petersburg, Helsinki, & Skagen.

Everything I've read says pack in layers, but I need a little more help. Should I bring a zip-up fleece jacket, or would a foldable down puffy jacket be better? Everyone says bring a raincoat-- but should it be a REAL raincoat or can it be just one of the thin packable windbreaker/raincoats that are no help if it's cold, but fine for a summer rain? Pants - lightweight or just regular pants & jeans?

What things did you bring -- that you wished you would have left at home? What things did you wish you would have brought with you, but didn't? I hate taking up valuable luggage space with items that don't get used on a trip. I'm trying to avoid that since we will travel with just 1 suitcase each.

Any tips regarding money to bring with us? We will have US dollars, Euros, & a credit card (with chip/pin & no int'l exchange fees). I am reluctant to get Danish krone, Swedish krona, & Russian rubles if I don't absolutely HAVE to. The only place I REALLY see myself shopping for souvenirs would be St. Petersburg, and I am guessing that street vendors would hopefully accept either Euros or dollars? I really don't want to use credit cards in Russia. It just feels risky to me. I could order some Russian Rubles from my local bank, but I'm sure the exchange rate would be horrible. Our Russian tour guide will be handling all the entrance fees, etc. while we are in St. Petersburg, and I plan to give tips in either dollars or euros.

Any other suggestions for someone headed out on a Baltic cruise? We are planning to tour the Scandinavian cities on our own, so any transportation suggestions from the port are appreciated. I read that we can walk to the old town center in Tallin from the ship. I've bought the Rick Steves guides, but I haven't read them yet-- maybe on Sea Days. I'm still at a loss for what to do in Skagen.

I appreciate any thoughts or suggestions you might have.

--- Rene

For a jacket, one of those packable thin down jackets will pack down to a much smaller size than a polartec zip up jacket will, so when you don't need it you can stash it in your bag with less bulk to deal with. Despite being thin they are very warm.

We did this itinerary on the Brilliance 6/9-6/21. It was awesome! The weather can be tricky so here’s what we did... my 2 daughters (15 & 21) and I brought leggings, short sleeved and long sleeved T-shirt type shirts. My husband brought jeans and the same shirt types. We all had a type of light jacket or pullover (thin fleece etc.) When we arrived in port we would go out on the balcony and see how cool it was and if it was sunny or not. When we arrived in Skagen it was cold and very windy but just the day before it had been warm and sunny. That was the only day we had to wear long shirts and our jackets/pullovers but we were glad we had them. I took an actual rain coat that was light and had a hood. I also had a scarf which was used in Skagen. Next stop was Tallin and we ended up taking our top layers off mid morning. Leggings/jeans and short sleeve shirts were perfect the rest of the day. St Petersburg was beautiful. We could have worn shorts it was so warm but due to going to the ballet the first evening, we wore pants and nice shirts that day and were comfortable. We lucked out by having very pleasant weather (70’s) for Helsinki, Stockholm and Copenhagen. We would start out with our jackets but leave them in the tour van by the afternoon.

We stopped in New York on our way to Amsterdam to see our oldest daughter and went to a highly rated exchange place and got all local currency. We went on tours with an independent company in all ports except Skagen. I wanted to tip the guides and drivers in their local currency. I will say I think they would have been fine with any currency, especially euros. We were glad we took the local currency for small souvenires and light meals. My husband bought my daughter an inexpensive ring in Helsinki and used US dollars. He realized after he did not get a good exchange rate at all. We also used a credit card everywhere, even St. Petersburg and didn’t have a problem at all. I think if you have some additional euros, you will be fine. They seemed to be accepted everywhere and most items had price tags in local currency and euros

My husband & I left Copenhagen on August 26 2017 on our TA and the weather in Copenhagen was in the low 70's. We didn't visit all the ports you mentioned but did go into Oslo, & Iceland. I wore an insulated light jacket and had a sweatshirt for Iceland which was in the 50's. I also brought for us Ponchos, no raincoat. and did very well. I recommend checking the weather for the ports you will be visiting right before you leave and get a 10 day forecast.

I live in Sweden and use my debit card for more or less EVERYTHING. In fact a lot of places don't accept cash, buses for example. It illeagal to charge extra for the use of debit/credit cards. The only thing that you might need cash for is public toilets or street vendors. Visa and Master card are accepted more or less everywhere, American Express and Diners Club are not.

We have been to Helsinki several times and we used our Visa card every time, but we didn't shop that much mostly lunch and some clothes.

We have been to Tallinn two times and and used our Visa card both time, only bought lunch and alcohol (it's very expensive in Sweden).

The same goes for Copenhagen, only used our Visa card for lunch and the trains.

We are just home from a Baltic cruise (Seabourn) and went to every port you mention save one. I was quite comfortable in a quilted vest (not down) and a light water resistant jacket that would go over the vest. My husband had a cotton henley sweater and a light water resistant jacket. We wore jeans and long sleeved shirts most days. There WERE some quite warm days and we were glad we had taken some lightweight cottons--summer clothing.

The only money we had were dollars and Euros. In St. Petersburg, the museum shops are safe to use a credit card. I would not use them elsewhere. Many countries WILL take euros even if it is not their currency.

Have a great time on your trip!

Just got back 2 weeks ago from our Baltic cruise on Navigator. Days were cooler than I planned for (and I'm usually not one who gets cold), especially the sea days. I would pack an extra sweatshirt than you are originally planning, although in August, it might be warmer than June.

Skagen ended up being a surprisingly fun port for us. I hadn't planned anything, but found that simply renting a bike and checking out the town center, Grenen (the northernmost tip of Denmark) and other sites (in our case, we went mini golfing) made for a great day.

We didn't get much local currency out - we had some Euros already, so brought those. And we got some Pounds out ahead of time because we had a couple days in London (we departed from Southampton). The only local currency we got (on the ship) was enough for a tip for our guide in Oslo and it turned out, the tour guide was gone by the time we went to go tip her (our tour ended with a ferry back to town on our own schedule), so now we have spare Norwegian Krones to spend.

I will say, while all the countries are cashless, many of the merchant stands we visited preferred (and asked for) cash instead.

Red hop on hop off buses in most ports, we find it a good way to get around and see the sights. Remember in Russia you need to get a visa unless you are on a ships excursion or have an independent tour booked.

I went the first week of September 10 years ago and it was cold for a good portion of the trip. The only thing I wish I had brought was gloves and earmuffs or a hoodie (night on deck was frigid and our balcony was pretty much useless due to the cold temps). Fleece should be fine as well as a lightweight waterproof coat or windbreaker (you can always buy one onboard the ship as a souvenir as well). Definitely check the weather forecast right before you start packing to confirm what your weather "should" be. I think we just took jeans, khakis and shorts. I caught a cold during the trip thanks to the chill.

As for currency, I took all kinds except rubles (my cruise went to Denmark, Finland, Russia, Poland, Estonia, Sweden and Norway). I "bought" some rubles when I was purchasing something and asked for rubles in change for my scrapbook. Took them a minute to figure out what I wanted since I had paid in dollars, but they did the exchange rate and got a few rubles in return. I used my credit card and dollars for the rest of my time in Russia. Most other places if I bought something in a store I used my card; if a street vendor then cash. I always offered either dollars or euros or whatever. It always depended on the vendor.

Enjoy your trip! It is a delightful cruise and each country is beautiful in its own way. Look for souvenirs that you can't get at home and try some local cuisine if you can. I want to do this cruise again some day (although in June when it will hopefully be much warmer!).

This August we cruise the Baltic on the Brilliance of the Seas: Our ports are: Amsterdam, Copenhagen, Stockholm, Tallin, St. Petersburg, Helsinki, & Skagen.

Everything I've read says pack in layers, but I need a little more help. Should I bring a zip-up fleece jacket, or would a foldable down puffy jacket be better? Everyone says bring a raincoat-- but should it be a REAL raincoat or can it be just one of the thin packable windbreaker/raincoats that are no help if it's cold, but fine for a summer rain? Pants - lightweight or just regular pants & jeans?

Light jacket. If it actually got really cold, dress in layers. You don't need the extra weight in luggage for anything more. We always bring pocket/disposable raincoats. It is for emergency use. We also have two mini umbrellas. Pants are what you already have. Jeans are fine. If you have other lighter weight pants, even better for packing. I went in May/June, and had no issues with cold weather.

What things did you bring -- that you wished you would have left at home? What things did you wish you would have brought with you, but didn't? I hate taking up valuable luggage space with items that don't get used on a trip. I'm trying to avoid that since we will travel with just 1 suitcase each.

You have 50lbs to carry plus a carryon. Use it. Mix and match clothes. Keep it light. We already know what we don't need. Just make sure you have clothes, cheap raingear, a converter, or European plugs for your electronics. (Most will run on either voltage, so you just need adapter plugs).

Any tips regarding money to bring with us? We will have US dollars, Euros, & a credit card (with chip/pin & no int'l exchange fees). I am reluctant to get Danish krone, Swedish krona, & Russian rubles if I don't absolutely HAVE to. The only place I REALLY see myself shopping for souvenirs would be St. Petersburg, and I am guessing that street vendors would hopefully accept either Euros or dollars? I really don't want to use credit cards in Russia. It just feels risky to me. I could order some Russian Rubles from my local bank, but I'm sure the exchange rate would be horrible. Our Russian tour guide will be handling all the entrance fees, etc. while we are in St. Petersburg, and I plan to give tips in either dollars or euros.

UGGGGG, why would vendors on the street take US money? They have to go and exchange it. They will or might take it, but expect to overpay, handsomely for the product. They are skilled at taking your money. The exchange rates are not really horrible if you exchange it at your bank. My advice is this. I always carry pocket money. That was including krona, krone, rubles and euros. The equivalent of $50 per person per day. As far as using a credit card, including in Russia, you have no reason to be afraid. Your credit card is protected from fraud, so use it. Better than cash. By the way, you will not find "street vendors" in Russia. Plenty of stores. Since you will be on a tour, you will only shop in stores.

Any other suggestions for someone headed out on a Baltic cruise? We are planning to tour the Scandinavian cities on our own, so any transportation suggestions from the port are appreciated. I read that we can walk to the old town center in Tallin from the ship. I've bought the Rick Steves guides, but I haven't read them yet-- maybe on Sea Days. I'm still at a loss for what to do in Skagen.

Skagen, be ready to walk. Nothing much exciting to do. Go see where the two seas meet, visit the lighthouse, and the buried church. It's a lot of walking, but not much excitement. Tallin is find for walking, and use your tour book.

Coopenhagen is also walkable, but it depends on where the ship is.

--- Rene

Enjoy, and preplan all your walks. Don't worry about credit cards, they are protected. Have a spare just in case. Have a beer at each stop, and just enjoy the cities.

The one thing I really regret not taking on our Baltic cruise was a good quality breathable windbreaker/rain jacket.

Like us you may experience a bit of cold wind, sun/heat and rain all in the space of half an hour and something a bit more suitable for this would have been so much more comfortable.

We didn't do any ships tours on our cruise and found most places great to walk or there was a shuttle you could pay to use to get you into town.

Enjoy your trip, its a fabulous cruise.

--- Rene

We did a similar 14 day cruise on Viking Star in May/June 2015. An amazing experience though things aren't always what you expect. For example, I was very excited about Helsinki and that was our least favorite stop. Tallin was the one I was least excited about and it ended up being a favorite! Tallin is wonderful for walking, and make sure you make a stop into one of the oldest apothecaries in Europe dating back to the 1500's running in the same building continuously!!! Different times of year so very difficult to anticipate your weather versus ours, though we rarely had much rain. Just some light rain at times. If you are visiting Peterhof Palace, and if you are going to ride one of the Hydrofoils make sure you have a heavy windbreaker! The "breeze" i.e. HURRICANE we faced blowing across the Gulf of Finland on the long walk to the Hydrofoil was exhausting and frigid! This isnt' going to be a relaxing trip for you, but a very memorable one. On the shopping, we actually did quite a bit of shopping in Estonia. Russian influence without being in Russia so you can walk freely. Viking includes at least a walking excursion in each port, I don't know if RCCL does that in its European itineraries but I would suggest it just to hear the history and see the most important sights before you go off on your own. You're going to find you won't have any actual time to really shop in St. Petersburg yourself, at least we didn't. We had two days there and since it's the one place you have to have your own VISA to leave the tour group you're not going to spend much there. They do have some nice Russian items and a fabulous liquor store in the port however. Most areas are very walkable, though your tour differs some from ours. We didn't do Skagen for example so no help for you there.

Oh and in St. Petersburg, we fully booked for those two days going to the opera, touring Catherine's and Peterhof Palace, touring the Hermitage, all which included meals in our excursions. As I said, unless you are getting a VISA yourself I would book everything you can through your cruise line as you will, otherwise, be stuck on the ship. And make sure you look like your passport for St. Petersburg. My mom who colored her hair a bit darker and lost about 50 pounds in the time between getting her passport, and our trip nearly didn't get let into St. Petersburg.

As I said, unless you are getting a VISA yourself I would book everything you can through your cruise line as you will, otherwise, be stuck on the ship.

If you book with a private tour operator in St Petersburg they provide the Visa paperwork. You do not have to stay on the ship.

We had a great two day two with a local company.

However you see St Petersburg though it really is great.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you everyone for all of your excellent suggestions and please keep them coming!!

We have already booked a 2-day tour for St Petersburg. We will spend a full day seeing the art of the Hermitage & the General Staff building for the Impressionists. The other day is the Church of Spilled Blood, Faberge Museum & some city sightseeing. I have already seen all the various residences of the czars (inside & out) 20 years ago and I figure it hasn't changed much. This trip we are focusing on the art and ended up having to book a private tour.