Updated Speciality Restaurant Booking Guide

KeithJenner

On 7/14/2019 at 12:59 AM, oz61 said:

Thanks Keith for all your information. Very helpful.

If we have 4 people in a stateroom with speciality dining packages for 2 people and one person is platinum, can we use the platinum voucher for 2 people and the dining package for the other two? The platinum person is Person 1 on the booking. I know the vouchers are not transferable, but if we are altogether in a group (our group has 3 staterooms), will they allow this?

Most likely they will allow this.

As you say, the vouchers are non transferrable, but they do seem to allow some leeway especially if you are all eating together. People have reported being able to give their platinum vouchers to others. I would go for it, and would be surprised if it was a problem.

Hi.

I am trying to figure out our specialty dining that comes with our booking as well as our Platinum vouchers.
Is the first post in this thread all up to date? I see it started in 2018 so I want to make sure the information isn't outdated before I start to write things down.

Thanks so much!

15 minutes ago, js said:

Hi.

I am trying to figure out our specialty dining that comes with our booking as well as our Platinum vouchers.
Is the first post in this thread all up to date? I see it started in 2018 so I want to make sure the information isn't outdated before I start to write things down.

Thanks so much!

There have been some changes to the restaurants that are available (places like Food Republic are now included), and the upcharges. Some of these are not all that clear at the moment as they are very recent. For example, the T&Cs refer to Sushi and Food Republic including 4 menu items, but I haven't yet seen any reports as to exactly how this works yet. In addition, the reference to an uncharge at Ocean Blue has disappeared in the past couple of weeks, but I don't think that this has yet been confirmed.

In addition, there has been quite a steep increase in prices recently, and the entree limit for the platinum meal has gone up to $35. This may impact which restaurants are best to use the vouchers in. There has also been discussion as to whether this means that the restaurants are worth paying that amount for (assuming you aren't getting the package as a promo).

Outside that, having had a quick read through the original post, the basics look like they are still correct.

3 minutes ago, KeithJenner said:

There have been some changes to the restaurants that are available (places like Food Republic are now included), and the upcharges. Some of these are not all that clear at the moment as they are very recent. For example, the T&Cs refer to Sushi and Food Republic including 4 menu items, but I haven't yet seen any reports as to exactly how this works yet. In addition, the reference to an uncharge at Ocean Blue has disappeared in the past couple of weeks, but I don't think that this has yet been confirmed.

In addition, there has been quite a steep increase in prices recently, and the entree limit for the platinum meal has gone up to $35. This may impact which restaurants are best to use the vouchers in. There has also been discussion as to whether this means that the restaurants are worth paying that amount for (assuming you aren't getting the package as a promo).

Outside that, having had a quick read through the original post, the basics look like they are still correct.

Thank you very much for all your helpful posts.  I very much appreciate it!!

1 hour ago, KeithJenner said:

I don't eat Sushi, but the T&Cs say that the SDP covers 4 menu items in Food Republic, Pincho, Sushi and Wasabi.

Thanks Keith!  If I do decide to try Wasabi as part of my SDP, I will report back on how it all played out.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/18/2019 at 12:31 AM, KeithJenner said:

Most likely they will allow this.

As you say, the vouchers are non transferrable, but they do seem to allow some leeway especially if you are all eating together. People have reported being able to give their platinum vouchers to others. I would go for it, and would be surprised if it was a problem.

Reporting back that we were allowed to use my platinum vouchers for two of our four and the dining package for two (myself and spouse). 

One of our group had two platinum people. We checked and they advised only voucher one per stateroom, but they suggested doing the above, so all four in each stateroom were covered.

The cover charge was up to $35. We ate at Le Bistro one night and some people ordered lamb which was $36 - they did not charge the difference.

When we were paying for someone, we did have to check it was charged to the correct account. 

I pre-booked Teppanyaki and Moderno. We were not charged at time of booking - I think because there may be children in a booking so they do not know how much to charge. I was able to book more places than people in stateroom. We had a big group, but once on board, we combined our bookings.

• 3 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, nslatin said:

Has anyone been able to upgrade the 3 meal SDP perk to a 5 meal package?  If so how much was the upgrade?

You can’t upgrade by paying the difference. Your only option would be to buy a second package. I have seen 2 meal packages offered on some cruises, but you may find your only option is to buy 3 more (or pay a la carte for two meals).

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/23/2019 at 5:28 PM, JennyMominRI said:

Hi all. I am booked in a  room for 3 in December. 2 of us have 3 free specialty dining options. Are they tied to each person, or to the room? Do 2 of us have to have 3 meals or can 3 of us have 2 meals? I have looked for the answer

Sorry, I missed this question when you asked.

The meals are given to the first two people named in the booking and they are not transferrable. Therefore, you can't do 2 meals for 3. We purchase a separate package for the third person in our room.

Hello, 

We are booked for a March sailing on the Pearl. We have the SDP for 3 meals for both of us. Question i have is 

Can we use all 3 meals at 1 restaurant? Cagney's on 3 different nights? And not use the other restaurants. Wondering if this is an option for us.

Thanks for any input you can provide.

49 minutes ago, Rtuaca said:

Hello, 

We are booked for a March sailing on the Pearl. We have the SDP for 3 meals for both of us. Question i have is 

Can we use all 3 meals at 1 restaurant? Cagney's on 3 different nights? And not use the other restaurants. Wondering if this is an option for us.

Thanks for any input you can provide.

Yes, you can certainly do that.

2 hours ago, KeithJenner said:

Yes, you can certainly do that.

Keith, 

Thank you for answering this for us. I am trying to decide if we should stay with NCL Pearl or maybe move to the Joy.

I have been reading some reviews and must say i am a little worried. From what i am reading the Pearl may be a bad choice... 

Based on pricing for my upcoming cruises there doesn’t seem to be an online discount, although it isn’t clear for me as my online prices are in pounds, so exchange rates make a difference.

You can see how much it costs online through myncl and compare it to the costs stated on the website for the equivalent number of meals.

If you pay onboard then remember to book any foxes charge ones first as you may not have the credits to avoid paying upfront otherwise.

• 2 months later...
On 7/9/2018 at 1:58 PM, KeithJenner said:

The $20 limit can be quite restrictive in Cagneys,

We just got off the Jade and they allowed us to use the voucher for more than the face value.  Just ask what the limit is before you order.  I think they allowed us to order up to $35.00 dollars for the voucher at not extra charge. 

3 minutes ago, Jackie435 said:

We just got off the Jade and they allowed us to use the voucher for more than the face value.  Just ask what the limit is before you order.  I think they allowed us to order up to $35.00 dollars for the voucher at not extra charge. 

The limit is now $35. It has been increased since I make that post.

We have the 3 night SDP and we are Platinum Plus, so 5 specialty total.  Sailing 1/12/20 on Encore. I missed early online dinner res for any reasonable seatings.  Latitudes perks shows priority dinner res as a perk for some members including plat plus.  How can we take advantage of this?  Can I call NCL for dinner res? Or?

Thanks!

8 hours ago, Rocket_man said:

We have the 3 night SDP and we are Platinum Plus, so 5 specialty total.  Sailing 1/12/20 on Encore. I missed early online dinner res for any reasonable seatings.  Latitudes perks shows priority dinner res as a perk for some members including plat plus.  How can we take advantage of this?  Can I call NCL for dinner res? Or?

Thanks!

I assume you are referring to the concierge service.

This gets discussed relatively often on these forums, and one or two people have actually reported having some success with getting the concierge to help them. However, most people just ignore that line in order to avoid disappointment.

I would just make the reservations in the normal way after boarding. Trying to get the concierge to help you will most likely just waste some time before you then do it yourself.

On 11/14/2019 at 8:23 AM, Kalum said:

Read on some threads here they have an upcharge again in at least Ocean Blue for lobster etc...

Can anyone confirm if that is fleetwide again or just encore/bliss?

Was on Escape over Halloween...no upcharges anywhere.

Currently on Gem, upcharges in Cagney's in full effect...crab cake, shrimp, surf and turf. Not sure about any other restaurants. 

Welcome to the circus of NCL dining.