Not Checking Luggage w/ Porters?

Hydro ergo

Thank you all, this is all very helpful! I never take my suitcase to the buffet. That would be incredibly disrespectful to other diners (and difficult to manage). I try not to inconvenience others with my eccentricities. Knowing that others have brought bags on board, and that fire doors are closed until about 1:30 or so is very helpful. That's what I was looking for :)

You could also bring the suitcase with you to the MDR at lunch .They will accommodate you at a table where there's room and it won't be an issue to anyone. Often by the end of lunch at the MDR, our rooms are ready or you can find a nook to wait no problem.

Toting it around is just fine....as long as it will fit through the scanner..do you fly with such a big bag? Or drive to port?

I am driving to port for this one. I wouldn't call it "such a big bag"...it's just too big for overhead, but certainly not as large as a lot of suitcases I see coming out of checked luggage at the airport or cruise terminal! I am pretty sure it's a 24"...may even be a 23".

I’ve tried to find out the same answer to the ? Of a place to drop bags carried onto ship by DH and me?! Several years ago I left bags at Bliss, and I hope that the Escape has the same solution. Hopefully someone whose sailed recently can answer, as we just hop on the Q train and bus or walk to pier, no need to give to anyone. Thx

If there are "porters" to take your bags that is when it begins but don't be put off by check-in time which doesn't usually start in most ports till after the boat has been cleared so work on 11am as the earliest check-in time. More often it is a little later.

Where are you sailing out of that check-in doesn't start until 11:00? Boarding doesn't typically start until around 11:00 or 11:30, but check-in usually starts by 9:30 or so.

I’ve tried to find out the same answer to the ? Of a place to drop bags carried onto ship by DH and me?! Several years ago I left bags at Bliss, and I hope that the Escape has the same solution. Hopefully someone whose sailed recently can answer, as we just hop on the Q train and bus or walk to pier, no need to give to anyone. Thx

I walk to the pier too from about 3 blocks away and I still drop my bag with the porters. Why would I want to lug it through security and then drag it all over the ship with me for 2 hours, when I can leave it with the porters, get through security quickly, and then walk freely around the ship? I understand the OPs disorder that makes her need to be assured that the bag is on board. For me, the only things I'd be afraid to lose are medication and valuables, so I bring those in my shoulder bag.

I walk to the pier too from about 3 blocks away and I still drop my bag with the porters. Why would I want to lug it through security and then drag it all over the ship with me for 2 hours, when I can leave it with the porters, get through security quickly, and then walk freely around the ship? I understand the OPs disorder that makes her need to be assured that the bag is on board. For me, the only things I'd be afraid to lose are medication and valuables, so I bring those in my shoulder bag.

In all fairness, different folks like doing different things.

YOU don’t want to carry your bags on, but others do - - and they certainly aren’t “dragging it all over the ship”! HAHA!

Most folks find a nice place to sit and relax for the quick hour or two until their cabins are ready so they DON’T have to carry their bags around, yet still have access to anything they may need in them.

In all fairness, different folks like doing different things.

YOU don’t want to carry your bags on, but others do - - and they certainly aren’t “dragging it all over the ship”! HAHA!

Most folks find a nice place to sit and relax for the quick hour or two until their cabins are ready so they DON’T have to carry their bags around, yet still have access to anything they may need in them.

Oh I get it. Different strokes for different folks. I just meant that I didn't see what walking to the pier had to do with leaving the bags with porters or not. You still walk right by the porters, whether you walk to the pier or take a car or whatever. I only even bring one carry-on size roller bag and for me, that's still more of a hassle than I would want to deal with going through security and waiting in the check-in line, and boarding the ship. Even if I did just park someone for an hour or two once on board. Usually, though, I like to take that first hour or to explore once I've had some lunch!

I am a solo traveler, as well as OCD, and I carry all of my stuff both on and off the ship. Not because I think it will get lost or stolen, I just don't like the way they throw bags around, and then stack them 10 high on the cart. I don't mind lugging my stuff around until the cabins are ready, it's all part of the adventure...

I am a solo traveler, as well as OCD, and I carry all of my stuff both on and off the ship. Not because I think it will get lost or stolen, I just don't like the way they throw bags around, and then stack them 10 high on the cart. I don't mind lugging my stuff around until the cabins are ready, it's all part of the adventure...

Oh yeah! Definitely don't put anything breakable in there! Mine just has clothes and bathroom accessories (finger nail clippers, nail file, q-tips, comb, etc.) in it, so no worries about it getting "thrown around". But yeah, they definitely aren't gentle with the bags!

The carry-on bags must be no larger than 22" x 14" x 9', as they'll be put through an x-ray machine as you enter the cruise port terminal. Maybe they will allow a little longer but Width and Thick might be an issue.

Hope this helps.

From X-Ray Manufacturer web site that I googled

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTJvPEjHQsaPWc_FdXA24bnm9086ukirwf8bYrAL-0H6m9bLk6A

Thank you all, this is all very helpful! I never take my suitcase to the buffet. That would be incredibly disrespectful to other diners (and difficult to manage). I try not to inconvenience others with my eccentricities. Knowing that others have brought bags on board, and that fire doors are closed until about 1:30 or so is very helpful. That's what I was looking for :)

One of the main dining rooms will open for lunch at noon. If you go there, your room will probably be ready when you finish eating.

Where are you sailing out of that check-in doesn't start until 11:00?

It depends on what you mean by "check-in". I agree the "building" is open for you to enter about 9.30 but, to me,"check-in" starts when people are called to go through security and line up to get their key-cards and go through the formalities. The real "check-in" starts about 11am on the cruises I have taken.

It depends on what you mean by "check-in". I agree the "building" is open for you to enter about 9.30 but, to me,"check-in" starts when people are called to go through security and line up to get their key-cards and go through the formalities. The real "check-in" starts about 11am on the cruises I have taken.

Oh, wow, that seems late. I have only been on two NCL cruises so far and people have definitely been allowed through security and checked-in to get their keycards way before 11:00. Boarding seems to begin around 11:00. I was on the Gem in June, we got to the pier at 10:30 and it seemed like we were pretty late to the party. By the time we got through, they had already called all of the boarding group numbers and were letting people just walk right onto the ship.

We’ve carried our luggage onboard many times. A 24” suitcase will fit through the scanner with no problem.

However, on one cruise as we were ready to enter the terminal, another couple warned us that a security guard would not let them take their luggage in. We told them we’d done it many times. They said, yes, they had also, and this was the first time that they were stopped. We proceeded to enter the terminal where we were stopped by that same female security guard who told us our luggage was too big. I argued with her insisting our bags were not too big, but she wouldn’t budge. We were forced to go back outside and check our bags with a porter. Our bags were the 24” size. And, since then I’ve seen much larger bags permitted without an issue.

As an occasional solo traveler, I worry about losing more than just my meds. My clothes, shoes, and everything else I pack in my suitcase are my “valuables.” Wouldn’t be much of a vacation if my luggage was left on the dock, and I was left with only what I was wearing and whatever was in my carryon. Seems to happen every cruise. By the way, Carnival’s FAQ’s specifically state that guests are permitted to carry on their own luggage. If NCL’s FAQ’s did, I would print them out to show that security guard.

I agree that it’s best to go directly to the MDR where there is plenty of room for your suitcase while you enjoy a leisurely lunch, and the announcement is made that the cabins are ready.

same female security guard who told us our luggage was too big.

If NCL’s FAQ’s did, I would print them out to show that security guard.

It might be counter productive to argue too much with the security guard!!!! They are, after all, not employed by NCL and are governed by their own rules, not NCLs.

same female security guard who told us our luggage was too big.

If NCL’s FAQ’s did, I would print them out to show that security guard.

It might be counter productive to argue too much with the security guard!!!! They are, after all, not employed by NCL and are governed by their own rules, not NCLs.

Yes, I know they are not employees of NCL, but if they stop alcohol and other items because NCL prohibits them, then they should allow items (luggage) that NCL doesn’t prohibit. Just another example of someone’s badge and uniform going to their head.

As an occasional solo traveler, I worry about losing more than just my meds.

I definitely do not encourage anyone to leave medication in checked luggage! Always bring your meds, electronics, jewelry, passport, money, etc. in a shoulder bag or smaller bag that you carry with you on board!

As for clothes, in the instance I have heard of where luggage with clothing was lost/misplaced, NCL has provided free laundry service and clothes from the duty free to tide people over until their luggage is found. But, certainly, if you would be devastated and have your vacation ruined if your clothes were lost, it would be best to keep them with you at all times.

I usually arrive just before 10:00am and the last 10 or so cruises I have been on with various Cruise lines check-in started at 10:00am.

I did have to sit and wait to board, that usually started as early as 11:00am.

The carry-on bags must be no larger than 22" x 14" x 9', as they'll be put through an x-ray machine as you enter the cruise port terminal. Maybe they will allow a little longer but Width and Thick might be an issue.

Hope this helps.

From X-Ray Manufacturer web site that I googled

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTJvPEjHQsaPWc_FdXA24bnm9086ukirwf8bYrAL-0H6m9bLk6A

thanks for the imagery! Length typically doesn't matter, as it is just moving along the belt. I always do call the port and check in advance. For example, in Charleston, you are not limited at all by length for the reason I just stated above. I watched some golf clubs go through! Height and width are usually the critical dimensions.

However, on one cruise as we were ready to enter the terminal, another couple warned us that a security guard would not let them take their luggage in. We told them we’d done it many times. They said, yes, they had also, and this was the first time that they were stopped. We proceeded to enter the terminal where we were stopped by that same female security guard who told us our luggage was too big.

Which port was this? Thanks!