Bliss Race Track Warning

hurley7

I went on both the Go Karts and the Laser Tag and enjoyed both. Signs are posted about no bumping and the video shows it as well. This is referring to intentional bumping not incidental. If you ride in the middle of the track you will have incidental contact as people go by you. The biggest problem that caused frustration were people going super slow in the middle of the track. It is a race and people paid money to race so if you are uncomfortable in that situation then you should not sign up for it. Honestly young kids who were inexperienced drivers seemed to cause the biggest issues. There was one kid who kept putting it in reverse and caused tons of issues and was removed from the track. They do remove drivers who are causing major issues. The track is well designed if you are used to go karts. The corners are laid out so that you don't have to slow down to make it with out hitting the sides and areas are available that allow for passing if the people aren't in the middle of the track. Laser tag leaders actually tell you not to run (for the person who warned about running) It is not meant for running, but rather a more strategic approach, ie stealth, using what you have, and hiding. Lots of fun!

I was talking to my brother about the karts and my hesitation of trying them due to reading the posts on this thread, he said based on the size of the track and all the turns, there is NO WAY these karts go 30 mph, no way. They may have the capability of going that fast but in the current setting, they don't. He was explaining to me that they may seem like they are going that fast but in reality, it's not even close.

He's planning on riding them on our cruise in October but I'm not so sure, if I do, I'll stay to the far right of the track and everyone is welcomed to pass me.:D

I went on both the Go Karts and the Laser Tag and enjoyed both. Signs are posted about no bumping and the video shows it as well. This is referring to intentional bumping not incidental. If you ride in the middle of the track you will have incidental contact as people go by you. The biggest problem that caused frustration were people going super slow in the middle of the track. It is a race and people paid money to race so if you are uncomfortable in that situation then you should not sign up for it. Honestly young kids who were inexperienced drivers seemed to cause the biggest issues. There was one kid who kept putting it in reverse and caused tons of issues and was removed from the track. They do remove drivers who are causing major issues. The track is well designed if you are used to go karts. The corners are laid out so that you don't have to slow down to make it with out hitting the sides and areas are available that allow for passing if the people aren't in the middle of the track. Laser tag leaders actually tell you not to run (for the person who warned about running) It is not meant for running, but rather a more strategic approach, ie stealth, using what you have, and hiding. Lots of fun!

I think you have actually hit the nail on the head, so to speak....

You talk about the fact that the "problems" were caused by people who were inexperienced/not knowing how to drive or what to do - I agree 100% - BUT nowhere in the NCL marketing that promotes the track does it suggest that you SHOULD be experienced. Thanks to these boards I now know that my kids would not be ok to drive these go karts, but had I not researched this I would happily have allowed them to ride, thus endangering not only themselves, but others who were racing. I totally get it - people have paid to race and expect to race BUT parents have also paid for kids to "drive" and non-experienced passengers have also paid to just have fun....so the issues could be solved (maybe) by having different levels at different times...racing / fun/ kids / etc / etc / etc ??????

I think you have actually hit the nail on the head, so to speak....

You talk about the fact that the "problems" were caused by people who were inexperienced/not knowing how to drive or what to do - I agree 100% - BUT nowhere in the NCL marketing that promotes the track does it suggest that you SHOULD be experienced. Thanks to these boards I now know that my kids would not be ok to drive these go karts, but had I not researched this I would happily have allowed them to ride, thus endangering not only themselves, but others who were racing. I totally get it - people have paid to race and expect to race BUT parents have also paid for kids to "drive" and non-experienced passengers have also paid to just have fun....so the issues could be solved (maybe) by having different levels at different times...racing / fun/ kids / etc / etc / etc ??????

I understand your issue, but the nature of the ride is one of competition(racing)....just like the nature of a rollercoaster is to go fast and have high drops. I don't go on rollercoasters because I don't expect them to slow it down or change the drop for me, but accept that is not a ride I will go on. Ride restrictions are for everyones safety as you mentioned and that is great...you want the ride to be safe. Everyone is not going to be able to do everything on board and that is ok. Choose what best fits who you are and are capable of managing. I cruised with my son and he did not do everything on the ship...perfectly fine. We adhered to the nature of the event and if it wasn't meant for him, he didn't do it. I understand disappointment, but you are wise to do your research in advance as you have done. Enjoy the ship! We absolutely loved it and would do it again in a heartbeat. So much variety in what you choose to do and eat...no crowded feel at all.

When we were on board the Bliss July 14-21 they had different times set up for different groups ie. Adult with child and only those groups were on the only ones on the track.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You are correct. The problems we have been discussing occurred during the times NOT set aside for the dual carts with an Adult and a child riding together.

Wow! Sounds very menacing. 30 MPH is faster than I would have expected for a track on a cruise ship...of course I never expected a race track on a cruise ship...to much of a carnival atmosphere for me. Think I will steer clear...no pun intended.

CM

Is it 30 MPH or 30 KPH? 30 kilometers is only 18.6 mph...

With all due respect, I believe you’re confused; NCL has the only go-karts at sea as they are aboard the Joy and Bliss. RCL may in fact have bumper cars, in which case yes; the object of bumper cars is to hit other cars.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Last I saw, the bumper cars were still on the Joy in the Galaxy Pavillion. I was checking it out yesterday since it's coming to the US...

"Largest Race Track at Sea

Imagine incredible firsts on our newest and most incredible ship, Norwegian Bliss. See the ocean blur by as you take hairpin turns on the largest race track at sea. Get ready for a thrilling ride on this two-level competitive track while putting your driving skills to the test. Blue skies above and turquoise waters below!"

The above is from the main Bliss page of NCL.

Based solely on that I would not put anyone who doesn't have "driving skills" in one of these. This is not an issue of NCL not being clear. It all goes back to personal responsibility. If you want to putt putt around the track....THAT is not this. If you want bumper cars...THAT is not this. It's simple.

Great discussion here. We are going on the Bliss in November. My husband is very excited about the go-karts and grew up racing them. I've only been on them once as a teen and it was just me and the brother-in-law. Sounds perfect for hubby, but I'll stay away unless I can get some experience in. Honestly, I could care less - I'm going to be missing the ropes course...

I was talking to my brother about the karts and my hesitation of trying them due to reading the posts on this thread, he said based on the size of the track and all the turns, there is NO WAY these karts go 30 mph, no way. They may have the capability of going that fast but in the current setting, they don't. He was explaining to me that they may seem like they are going that fast but in reality, it's not even close.

He's planning on riding them on our cruise in October but I'm not so sure, if I do, I'll stay to the far right of the track and everyone is welcomed to pass me.:D

I agree, after watching a bunch of YT videos they might be doing 15mph at the most. They might have the capablilty to go 30mph but I don't see that happening.

NCL can not control other drivers behind you....there is no liability waiver that you sign prior to boarding and I suffered extreme whip lash from being rear ended by an older European man who thought it was amusing that he ran over my glasses which flew off my head on impact. I am wanting to launch a class action law suit, what was NCL thinking?? They have denied any liability and refuse to replace even my glasses despite my several required visits to the Doctors on board for whiplash, back and leg pain...dizziness... NCL needs to support guests in situations...not blow them off, like they have with me....I sailed on May 10 and to date, I've called and emailed so many times...no one gets back to me with anything positive supporting my injuries and damage...shameful!

NCL can not control other drivers behind you....there is no liability waiver that you sign prior to boarding and I suffered extreme whip lash from being rear ended by an older European man who thought it was amusing that he ran over my glasses which flew off my head on impact. I am wanting to launch a class action law suit, what was NCL thinking?? They have denied any liability and refuse to replace even my glasses despite my several required visits to the Doctors on board for whiplash, back and leg pain...dizziness... NCL needs to support guests in situations...not blow them off, like they have with me....I sailed on May 10 and to date, I've called and emailed so many times...no one gets back to me with anything positive supporting my injuries and damage...shameful!

I have a great law firm for you, Dewey, Cheatem & Howe, give them a call you'll get everything you seek

LOL there is ALWAYS one in every group! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

So many assumptions.

I'm wondering how your glasses flew off your head when you're wearing a helmet which is mandatory?

More importantly, who did you report this to on the ship? What did the Doctor on the ship advise you to do? How long after this event did you begin showing symptoms? How did your glasses fly off when you were wearing a helmet? I've worn helmets many times when riding a motor bike and never had to worry about losing my glasses unless my helmet fell off... guess that would never happen if it was fastened on correctly.

Just wondering.... class action suit usually means a group doesn't it? Never been part of one so not really sure about that.

Good luck, hope you're feeling better about your whiplash.

• 11 months later...
On 7/22/2018 at 3:36 PM, tallnthensome said:

Women should not be driving the go-karts on the Bliss. With their poor driving abilities they are better suited to be tidying up the cabin while leaving the go-kart handling up to the men.

You must be one of those men that requires a "big ol truck" to make up for lack of size elsewhere, because I can't fathom any real man making such a comment.  FOH with that noise.