Amsterdam Deck 3 OceanView Questions

brontosphere

Hi - Considering booking this, it is "lower promenade" and the room window does not directly face the ocean there is the promenade deck in the way, couple questions:

1) Is it distracting having passengers walking by the window? Is it "rare" or are there always people walking on that deck?

2) I know there is some type of covering but is it awkward/any privacy concerns with people constantly going past?

Appreciate your experience and input, thanks!

We've had LP cabins on several ships including the Amsterdam. For the first day or two we notice people passing by but get used to it quickly. Since the window is half-silvered, its more like a shadow crossing than a clear view of people. If the weather is good there are almost always people out there except maybe in the wee hours of the night.

Once in a while a group will choose to hold a conversation outside the window, and once we had a man sitting on a bench playing a guitar for about an hour, but other than instances like that they are pretty quiet ... as long as you aren't below the galley! And don't pick one too close to an outside door because in windy conditions they get slammed a lot. One noise that takes some getting used to is the stewards cleaning the deck at dawn and hosing off the window!

Day or night it's difficult to see in unless you intentionally gets very close, and we've never had that anyone do it except me or DH, testing. When you go to dinner the steward closes the drapes each night. The deck lights are quite bright and stay on all night, so if you like a dark room you'll need clothespins or snack-bag clips to keep the drapes tightly closed. If you forget them, the trousers hangers with two spring clips will work.

The cabins are about a foot shorter than outsides on the decks below.

In this picture the drapes are wide open and every light in the room is on.

10xrksk.jpg

Edited by catl331

I really noticed the loss of space in the cabin on the LP deck. I'm surprised to hear that it's only a foot; I would have thought it was more. Regardless, it was noticeable. The cabin is somewhat darker because of the deck above shading the window. While I enjoyed the proximity to the outside, I wouldn't book on an LP deck again because of the space issue. YMMV

We were just in a lower promenade cabin on the Zaandam and loved the location. (We also loved it because we had booked an inside guarantee and got upgraded!) It was so convenient to just pop outside and even with the walking deck we had a decent view.

IMG_2220.JPG

Having the windows sprayed down in the early morning hours was a bit annoying, but not too bad. At times it was entertaining since we could see out and people could not see in. Even caught one lady using our window as a mirror to fix her hair! I'm sure she had no idea we were watching her!

Here is a photo I took just before we went outside for the muster drill so you can easily see people out on the deck as they are walking by.

IMG_0679.JPG

As far as the size, we didn't mind the smaller cabin. The one thing that was obviously smaller was the couch. Ours was just a loveseat size whereas other cabins we peaked into had a full size couch.

IMG_0676.JPG

Since there was such a huge price difference to get a verandah cabin, we were happy to be on the Lower Promenade deck. After all...we were just a few steps away from the biggest balcony on the ship! ;)

AryMay - what stateroom number is this? We have booked 3426 for the Amsterdam 51 day Tales of the South Pacific.

This was cabin #3339 on the Zaandam. We were fortunate to get one of the cabins with a refurbished bathroom that had a large glassed-in shower replacing the old tub. There are a lot more photos on my blog (link in signature below) and also on the site that gives you facts about Hal. ;)

This was cabin #3339 on the Zaandam. We were fortunate to get one of the cabins with a refurbished bathroom that had a large glassed-in shower replacing the old tub. There are a lot more photos on my blog (link in signature below) and also on the site that gives you facts about Hal. ;)

Thank you!

Thanks for sharing. We are booked in cabin 3376 on the Amsterdam for June 2019. We could have 1 week in Alaska in a Balcony or 2 weeks with an Oceanview....we chose the 2 week itinerary.

We are looking at July 2019 2 weeks Alaska same reason, oceanview on deck 3, hence the questions.

Always done oceanview with the direct window out, never with a deck in front. I'm pretty skeptical and a little unnerved about people being constantly out there, but I think we will do it.

Thanks for the responses and pictures from everyone in this thread.

you can check the view by going to halfacts.com. look at R CLASS and scroll down to lower promenade deck. the very first line will show all cabins with obstructed ocean view. just scroll down until you find cabin 3426

you can check the view by going to halfacts.com. look at R CLASS and scroll down to lower promenade deck. the very first line will show all cabins with obstructed ocean view. just scroll down until you find cabin 3426

Thank you very much, and welcome to Cruise Critic!