Dress code for children

MGillie

Firstly, I’m very sorry to be starting a dress code thread & I’m sorry if this is answered elsewhere but.... our DS is 3 and will be joining us for dinner in the main dining room on Royal Princess. Will it be acceptable for him to wear shorts? I’ve bought him a formal outfit which looks lovely but it has long shorts and given the weather at the moment I wasn’t planning on him having to wear trousers. He has shirts for the other nights as well which I was planning on matching with shorts.

A three year old can wear shorts- Have seen little children dressed in party attire and they look adorable. If you want to dress him up- do so. Makes great family pictures!

Its an interesting fact that in very English upper class style trousers are for older boys and men and shorts are for boys. If you notice news and even look up news articles about Prince George he will almost always be in shorts. Royalty are aware of this trend and you can guarantee cruise lines are fully aware of it. I think by the time a boy is 12 or 13 years and reaches high school age and leaves primary school would be about the time to expect them in trousers these days.

The same here in the States and u do not have be aristocrats, however English or European heritage helps.

It can just be family tradition. My family are long time Californians.....for " formal" attire my/our young boys wore dress shorts(suspenders) long sleeve button down, tie & coat. We have many family children photos from the 1920s all the young boys in similar attire..and knickers seemed to be popular in the adolescent stage.

When anyone is in more formal attire it is amazing how their actions are often more refined.

OP the simple answer is yes....shorts, any shorts will be OK for your 3 yo Son, they always have been and always will be....

Thank you all for your comments which have (for the most part) reasssured me. He will be wearing collared shirts - I’d already got that sorted but his formal evening outfit is a collared shirt, bow tie, waistcoat and shorts - it’s a set - hence my original question! So, he will be “dressed up”.

It is indeed true re shorts for the upper class / those that attend public school. I gave a wry smile as he is at such a school where he will wear shorts til he is 13! (Not I hasten to add that we are upper class :p)

Thanks again for all the helpful comments and for the support after the less helpful one!!

Thank you all for your comments which have (for the most part) reasssured me. He will be wearing collared shirts - I’d already got that sorted but his formal evening outfit is a collared shirt, bow tie, waistcoat and shorts - it’s a set - hence my original question! So, he will be “dressed up”.

It is indeed true re shorts for the upper class / those that attend public school. I gave a wry smile as he is at such a school where he will wear shorts til he is 13! (Not I hasten to add that we are upper class :p)

Thanks again for all the helpful comments and for the support after the less helpful one!!

Are you from England or Bermuda?