Dress code for children

MGillie

Firstly, I’m very sorry to be starting a dress code thread & I’m sorry if this is answered elsewhere but.... our DS is 3 and will be joining us for dinner in the main dining room on Royal Princess. Will it be acceptable for him to wear shorts? I’ve bought him a formal outfit which looks lovely but it has long shorts and given the weather at the moment I wasn’t planning on him having to wear trousers. He has shirts for the other nights as well which I was planning on matching with shorts.

Firstly, I’m very sorry to be starting a dress code thread & I’m sorry if this is answered elsewhere but.... our DS is 3 and will be joining us for dinner in the main dining room on Royal Princess. Will it be acceptable for him to wear shorts? I’ve bought him a formal outfit which looks lovely but it has long shorts and given the weather at the moment I wasn’t planning on him having to wear trousers. He has shirts for the other nights as well which I was planning on matching with shorts.

He should be fine. I highly doubt they will kick a 3 year old out of the dinning room :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There is no official dress code for children of any age that differs from the adult suggested dress. Bottom line, no one will care what he wears. People around you will care far more about how he behaves. If comfortable clothing assists with good behavior, by all means go for it!

I’d bring one collared shirt to go with the shorts. Princess was always fine with that, and thankfully even Cunard was fine with it on our last cruise with 2 boys and they’re a pretty formal line - the dress code applies to most of the ship, and there were women in evening gowns even in the buffett. But everyone was tolerant of my boys wearing polo shirts and shorts and my wearing a black day (not really evening) dress since I knew I’d be wearing food at one point.

He will be fine. 3 year olds pretty much wear shorts all the time, and crew is aware of that. Have a great cruise, and don't worry. :)

Per above EXACTLY! Your 3 year old will be fine every night in shorts! (y)

Toddlers can certainly wear shorts in the MDR and about anything that looks decent. No one is going to say anything and the waiters most likely will fawn over them particularly female. We took our 4 y/o DGD on her first cruise early this decade and the wait staff in the MDR were always interacting with her. Your DS will have a good time in the MDR.

BTW you can leave your DS in the youth club while you eat dinner just be sure to pick him up by 10 pm or so.

Never too early to make sure your children know that rules and social etiquette does not apply to them.

The cruise lines have a rule which applies to children it states that the dress codes are different for them. On formal nights smart casual is fine.

Regards John

Shorts are fine for all children in the main dining room. I had my 10 year old nephew with me in January because my sister and her husband had two other children in their four berth cabin. As a 10 year old he wore dress or more formal shorts but not play shorts. He wore a collared button up shirt and seemed to really enjoy wearing it and loved putting on a tie for formal nights. The main dining room had no problem with a child that age coming in like that.

Its an interesting fact that in very English upper class style trousers are for older boys and men and shorts are for boys. If you notice news and even look up news articles about Prince George he will almost always be in shorts. Royalty are aware of this trend and you can guarantee cruise lines are fully aware of it. I think by the time a boy is 12 or 13 years and reaches high school age and leaves primary school would be about the time to expect them in trousers these days.

Never too early to make sure your children know that rules and social etiquette does not apply to them.

Are you serious or just trying to be sarcastic?

The cruise lines have a rule which applies to children it states that the dress codes are different for them. On formal nights smart casual is fine.

Regards John

It does?

I've never noticed it before.

Shorts are fine for all children in the main dining room. I had my 10 year old nephew with me in January because my sister and her husband had two other children in their four berth cabin. As a 10 year old he wore dress or more formal shorts but not play shorts. He wore a collared button up shirt and seemed to really enjoy wearing it and loved putting on a tie for formal nights. The main dining room had no problem with a child that age coming in like that.

Its an interesting fact that in very English upper class style trousers are for older boys and men and shorts are for boys. If you notice news and even look up news articles about Prince George he will almost always be in shorts. Royalty are aware of this trend and you can guarantee cruise lines are fully aware of it. I think by the time a boy is 12 or 13 years and reaches high school age and leaves primary school would be about the time to expect them in trousers these days.

I remember during Harry and Meghan's wedding they talked about how George was breaking tradition and wearing pants for the ceremony. I thought that 'rule' was the cutest thing!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

Our three grandchildren were on their first cruise on the Regal for the Halloween cruise out of NY last year.

Formal nights and dress was explained to them. Although children may not have to dress up formally, you may want to consider photos and how great they look when dressed appropriately.

26621527179_02ee1d28ca_b.jpg

Howard

I'd stay with something like dressier(not cargo etc.)shorts & he'll look fine.

Our three grandchildren were on their first cruise on the Regal for the Halloween cruise out of NY last year.

Formal nights and dress was explained to them. Although children may not have to dress up formally, you may want to consider photos and how great they look when dressed appropriately.

Howard

I remember you posting this sometime ago. Classy looking kids! The kids on our Regal cruise all looked nice. I hear complaints about children on cruises & the Regal cruise had quite a few the second week of our 14 day B2B(Feb. school vacation)Al, behave fine. We have to remember we ALL were kids once. We shouldn't hold them responsible for bad behavior. It's the parents at fault!

Howard

Your grandchildren are beautiful. They are so cute.