Questions About a Tight Connection Time...

rkaratsu

I know there are a few experts here who are familiar with flight times and Heathrow so hopefully you can answer a couple of questions (and hopefully allay some fears!): Basically, my return flight next month goes FCO-LHR and then LHR-LAX. First leg is BA549, departing FCO at 12:55pm and arriving LHR at 2;45pm. Connection (BA269) departs LHR at 4:05pm, so I have a 1 hour 20 minute layover.

When this flight was booked (thru Regent), I asked if the connection time was adequate. They said not to worry since both legs were on BA and both flights were going in/out of Terminal 5. (And looking at LHR, it says that the minimum time needed to do a transfer within Terminal 5 was an hour.)

So assuming everything is on schedule, no problem. But what happens if flight from FCO to LHR is delayed? (Just randomly checking flight departures from FCO, it looks like this flight is generally on time although yesterday is was about 20 minutes late. Similarly, it looks like BA269 has a tendency to be late in departing (which for once I will be glad!) but I guess I can't count on this.)

In reality, how long might a plane actually wait for a delayed passenger? (I have no idea if there are any other people with same flight itinerary as me.) And how does luggage work as far as these tight connections?

TIA!

RK

That is a tight connection time. You will probably come into a different terminal and take a bus over to T-5 and you will go through security again. I definitely would look for a later flight. It is a legal connection but anything can go wrong ..weather, mechanical etc.

LHR is notorious for incoming delays. We avoid LHR unless we are staying in London. I would check for a later flight so as not to stress out after a luxury cruise and go to the BA lounge assuming you are flying business class or first.

That is a tight connection time. You will probably come into a different terminal and take a bus over to T-5 and you will go through security again. I definitely would look for a later flight. It is a legal connection but anything can go wrong ..weather, mechanical etc.

The TS already indicated that they will be arriving and departing from Terminal 5. This cuts down the time dramatically. Although a relatively tight connection, it is certainly doable.

Can't speak to the luggage question since our luggage has been lost at Heathrow twice (once the fault of BA and the other the fault of the terminal). We have flown into and out of LHR many times and the only time we seem to have difficulties is on the flights going to the port of embarkation. For whatever reason, our flights home have been fine.

I tend to believe what Regent stated to you because once we had a tight connection and 100% of the people said that we could not make the connection but Regent said that we could. Not only did we make it, we had plenty of time to spare!

I would suggest that this be reposted into the Cruise Air forum, as there are several folks there who are quite knowledgable about LHR and the BA operations there.

That being said, my advice is to never expect a flight to be "held" for incoming passengers. An airline might do it for an extremely high-value passenger, or if there are significant numbers of inbound pax, or if it is operationally advantageous to delay this flight rather than accommodate them on a later one. But note the "might". Delaying one flight has a ripple effect, and may not be possible due to crew duty issues and other factors.

I would never expect them to hold a flight. That very rarely happens. You are fine unless the flight is delayed, but that is always the case. If you miss your connection, they will rebook you. Don’t get stressed about it. My husband and I fly all the time. It always works out eventually.

The TS already indicated that they will be arriving and departing from Terminal 5. This cuts down the time dramatically. Although a relatively tight connection, it is certainly doable.

Can't speak to the luggage question since our luggage has been lost at Heathrow twice (once the fault of BA and the other the fault of the terminal). We have flown into and out of LHR many times and the only time we seem to have difficulties is on the flights going to the port of embarkation. For whatever reason, our flights home have been fine.

I tend to believe what Regent stated to you because once we had a tight connection and 100% of the people said that we could not make the connection but Regent said that we could. Not only did we make it, we had plenty of time to spare!

I missed the T-5 connection with that being said we have had terminal changes many times so it is not a guarantee. Inbound weather is also pretty high on the list to affect flights as well..

I know there are a few experts here who are familiar with flight times and Heathrow so hopefully you can answer a couple of questions (and hopefully allay some fears!): Basically, my return flight next month goes FCO-LHR and then LHR-LAX. First leg is BA549, departing FCO at 12:55pm and arriving LHR at 2;45pm. Connection (BA269) departs LHR at 4:05pm, so I have a 1 hour 20 minute layover.

When this flight was booked (thru Regent), I asked if the connection time was adequate. They said not to worry since both legs were on BA and both flights were going in/out of Terminal 5. (And looking at LHR, it says that the minimum time needed to do a transfer within Terminal 5 was an hour.)

So assuming everything is on schedule, no problem. But what happens if flight from FCO to LHR is delayed? (Just randomly checking flight departures from FCO, it looks like this flight is generally on time although yesterday is was about 20 minutes late. Similarly, it looks like BA269 has a tendency to be late in departing (which for once I will be glad!) but I guess I can't count on this.)

In reality, how long might a plane actually wait for a delayed passenger? (I have no idea if there are any other people with same flight itinerary as me.) And how does luggage work as far as these tight connections?

TIA!

RK

I've been stuck on a similar schedule when the scheduling monkeys had no clue as to what actually happens. Sure - you come in to T5, then hey you need to walk a good bit. Then you need to clear customs/immigration. Ok thats cool. That takes a while. Then you need to go back to whence you started. That means go back and clear security. Again. Then you're good to go. So no, 80 minutes is no bueno. If you're young/by yourself (and theres no issues/traffic/dingleberries in front) it might work - but otherwise I wouldn't trust a sub 180 min changeover in LHR. That's IME.

I've been stuck on a similar schedule when the scheduling monkeys had no clue as to what actually happens. Sure - you come in to T5, then hey you need to walk a good bit. Then you need to clear customs/immigration. Ok thats cool. That takes a while. Then you need to go back to whence you started. That means go back and clear security. Again. Then you're good to go. So no, 80 minutes is no bueno. If you're young/by yourself (and theres no issues/traffic/dingleberries in front) it might work - but otherwise I wouldn't trust a sub 180 min changeover in LHR. That's IME.

My experience is that you don’t have to clear customs/security if you fly into and out of T5, maybe it depends on the airline and where you are coming from? I have transited through T5 with an hour connection time due to a delayed gate allocation. Stressful but doable.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My experience is that you don’t have to clear customs/security if you fly into and out of T5, maybe it depends on the airline and where you are coming from? I have transited through T5 with an hour connection time due to a delayed gate allocation. Stressful but doable.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Not sure, but as an American I only made that window because I ran (BA > BA flight). It could very much depend on the flight and persons nationality.

Not sure, but as an American I only made that window because I ran (BA > BA flight). It could very much depend on the flight and persons nationality.

Actually, it depends upon:

Country of flight departure

Country of connecting flight destination

Specific requirements of connection country (ie, China has special documentation checks, even for connections - USA requires clearing US immigration and customs even if connecting out of the USA)

As for your nationality, that affects how immigration processes you (citizen/non-citizen lines) and specific visa requirements.

The airline has nothing to do with the governmental process.

Another thought, your flight may come in and you will have to disembark using the stairs from the aircraft and then a bus ride to T5. This does happen often. Not trying to scare you but it can happen. Yes, as Emperor Norton mentioned you can have a long walk to the next flight. We don’t like connecting through London as it is always a bit of a hassle.

Specific requirements of connection country (ie, China has special documentation checks, even for connections - USA requires clearing US immigration and customs even if connecting out of the USA)

As for your nationality, that affects how immigration processes you (citizen/non-citizen lines) and specific visa requirements.

FlyerTalker is absolutely correct.

I am no expert on this but i would say that connection time is tight. When we are traveling on an international flight we have to have a domestic flight from Scotland first, so no documentation required as such but we always try for the earlier flight down to make sure we have plenty of time to make the connection.

I would suggest you have a good look at T5 and the layout as it can be confusing so i would give yourself plenty of time.

Good luck.

Pam.

You still have to walk from the far end of the terminal through customs/immigration back to security and then back to your gate in the same terminal. That's not always a quick task.

This is also true. Had to do this many times and it is a pain in the arse. Security even took items out of our inbound amenity kit from first class. Like what could we have done at 35k feet inbound after clearing US security. Silly rules.

This is also true. Had to do this many times and it is a pain in the arse. Security even took items out of our inbound amenity kit from first class. Like what could we have done at 35k feet inbound after clearing US security. Silly rules.

Reminds me of the people that took the "free" apples off the plane in NZ and then failed to declare them. Talk about things that turned out to be less than free:eek:

Terminal 5 is BA's terminal, so in theory you are an in transit passenger, so shouldn't needed to collect you luggage as it will be checked through, but I agree with others, it is huge with long walks and it is a common occurrence that you are parked on a remote stand, and will need bussing to the terminal. On the other hand BA wouldn't have allowed you to be ticketed if the connection time isn't achievable.

To be on the safe side, I would have a look and see if there is a later flight that they can route you on if for any reason you don't make the connection.

Lots of good responses already, but in case you have not reviewed BA's LHR Flight Connections page, here it is:

https://www.britishairways.com/en-us/information/airport-information/flight-connections

Agree with the others... this will be a tight connection, but certainly doable so long as your FCO-LHR segment is on-time. We've connected at LHR T5, and it is pretty efficient based on our experience. I believe your flight to LAX is one of the last non-stops of the day from LHR, so you should keep that in mind as well.

Best of luck and enjoy your cruise!

Terminal 5 is BA's terminal, so in theory you are an in transit passenger, so shouldn't needed to collect you luggage as it will be checked through, but I agree with others, it is huge with long walks and it is a common occurrence that you are parked on a remote stand, and will need bussing to the terminal. On the other hand BA wouldn't have allowed you to be ticketed if the connection time isn't achievable.

To be on the safe side, I would have a look and see if there is a later flight that they can route you on if for any reason you don't make the connection.

Excellent suggestion. I would not want to end a luxury cruise on a bad note. They may have to pass through security once again which has happened to us and of course a second screening at the gate. Traveling is no longer a pleasure.

I agree with you about BA not allowing you to be ticketed if the connection time isn't achievable" but question your comment about being "parked on a remote stand, and will need bussing to the terminal". My DH is from London so I can't count the number of times that we have gone to or through LHR. We have never missed a flight. (knocking on wood).

The bottom line is that Regent has booked your fights and they are for next month but it is highly unlikely that they would rebook you on another flight so let's just discuss the flights that you are booked on. Just asked my DH and when I explained the scenario, his response was "no problem at all". So, if Regent feels that it is doable and my DH (who has likely flown through LHR 50 times), I would not worry about it.

That makes sense. I was flying from Europe via London to Chicago. I have both UK and US passports and use UK one when landing at Heathrow.

I have flown through LHR more than 50 times coming inbound from other countries on BA and we have parked off ramp and had busses take us to T5 with a long walk. You have to consider delays outbound as well.

We book our own air so we know how much time we will need if Murphy’s Law hits us. We also use a meet and greet service to expedite us and it is well worth it.

I have flown through LHR more than 50 times coming inbound from other countries on BA and we have parked off ramp and had busses take us to T5 with a long walk. You have to consider delays outbound as well.

We book our own air so we know how much time we will need if Murphy’s Law hits us. We also use a meet and greet service to expedite us and it is well worth it.

When you arrive and leave from Terminal 5 you do not have the issues that you speak of. And, the TS does not need a meet and greet service. The issue is arriving at Terminal 5 - going through x-ray (not customs) and going to your gate. Really not a big deal!

When you arrive and leave from Terminal 5 you do not have the issues that you speak of. And, the TS does not need a meet and greet service. The issue is arriving at Terminal 5 - going through x-ray (not customs) and going to your gate. Really not a big deal!

Who said anything about customs? Security is a possibility been there done that.

Thank you all for your replies! I guess bottom line is that assuming flight from FCO to LHR is on time, we should be fine. (Didn't mention that my wife is still on the mend from hip replacement surgery so we did request some kind of accommodation if necessary. Might come in useful navigating through LHR...)

And AFAIK, our flight is the last direct one of the day to LAX. (I really do want to make this flight because we got nice seats on the upper deck of the A380 and from what I can tell, for some reason this flight (at least the business class) is at most 40% full!)

Anyway, what happens happens. When we get to Rome and I hear the flight is delayed 30 minutes then I might go into full freak out mode but until then, I intend to savor four lovely days in Venice and then our first cruise on Regent!

RK