QM2 Favorite Sailaway Spot On Deck

steve1young

It depends somewhat on the weather and which port. If the weather is reasonably warm and clear, I like to join the sailaway party on deck 8 aft. Then for departures from New York it's up to the viewing area above deck 13 forward for the passage under the Verrazano Narrows Bridge. For departures from Southampton, I like to find a deck chair on the starboard side of the promenade on deck 7 to relax and enjoy the view as we sail past Calshot and the Isle of Wight.

Edited by bluemarble

Always departing from our homeport of NYC (Brooklyn Cruise Terminal) we prefer to view the sailaway from the Observation Platform in front of the funnels on Deck 13, back portion of the Sun Deck. The new observation walkway above the Deck 13 cabins has become very popular and crowded.

The Observation Platform has become a tradition since the first time we sailed on her. We even find it a great place to gather and first meet some of the Cruise Critics while departing NY Harbor.

You actually get a closer look and feel of the roadway of the VZ and the funnel passing under the bridge. Of course hold on to your hats when the thunderous sound of the Queen's Horns sound.

I too favor the Observation Deck. It is a great place to see both port and starboard views of NY harbor. On a TA voyage Sept. 2017 a young man got down on one knee and proposed to his lady as the ship passed under the V Bridge with its horn sounding and applause from the voyagers present. I will be up there again in April 2019.

I too favor the Observation Deck. It is a great place to see both port and starboard views of NY harbor. On a TA voyage Sept. 2017 a young man got down on one knee and proposed to his lady as the ship passed under the V Bridge with its horn sounding and applause from the voyagers present. I will be up there again in April 2019.

Ditto tommy k.

On the other deck you are either on one side or the other, you're right! Why not the whole picture...

Great story and one to remember for a lifetime. Wonder if she sounded the horn for traditional reasons or was it arranged. More interesting if it was arranged.

We too will be taking our place next July on the Ob Deck. Cheers!

Departures from Southampton; Deck 8 aft for the sailaway party (weather permitting).

Arrival or Departures to/from New York; Deck 13 between the new cabins and the small high platform previously mentioned, but not on the platform itself (I get better photos from the wide, open deck, less crowded and the "golf ball" isn't in the way).

See here: QM2 Phew! We pass under the Verrazano Narrows Bridge.

Departures from Southampton; Deck 8 aft for the sailaway party (weather permitting).

Arrival or Departures to/from New York; Deck 13 between the new cabins and the small high platform previously mentioned, but not on the platform itself (I get better photos from the wide, open deck, less crowded and the "golf ball" isn't in the way).

See here: QM2 Phew! We pass under the Verrazano Narrows Bridge.

Unfortunately I found in the past to many passengers moving about below and interfered with a proper photo or video being taken.

Last years sailing we all were consider to each other in taking our shots on the platform.

Respectfully many wanted the structures of the ship included in their shots to show on their return..

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app