Can You Cruise on the MSC Seaside with a Passport that Expires in Less than 6 Months?

Stivex84

Hi,

I have a Haitian passport and I'm travelling with the MSC Seaside on August 25, 2018 which stops in Jamaica, the Cayman Islands, Mexico and the Bahamas. My passport expires on February 19 next year, will I'll be denied to take the cruise or to entry on these countries.

Thanks!!!

No problem. There are no countries in the Caribbean, or North America that require six months remaining on your passport. EM

Actually the Dominican Republic requires you to have at least 6 months on it! So to say NO countries in the Caribbean would be a false statement! Just another reason to not take advise from cruise critic on something so important.

I called Msc and after speaking with different agent who said NO that I need a passport with 6 months validity. The manager told me I should be OK if the passport is not already expired but suggest me to apply for a new passport to avoid any delay on the embarkation day.

Thanks for your advise!

Actually the Dominican Republic requires you to have at least 6 months on it! So to say NO countries in the Caribbean would be a false statement! Just another reason to not take advise from cruise critic on something so important.

Yes, you are correct and Haiti requires also that you have 6 months on your passport. But I think this rule doesn't apply for cruisers because you don't have to show the immigration of each visiting country your passport.

We are not advising about visas. Just passport expiration times. EM

Correct but certain countries require other countries passports to have longer validity. You just cant go by the rules of american passport holders

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi,

I have a Haitian passport and I'm travelling with the MSC Seaside on August 25, 2018 which stops in Jamaica, the Cayman Islands, Mexico and the Bahamas. My passport expires on February 19 next year, will I'll be denied to take the cruise or to entry on these countries.

Thanks!!!

Since these leaves from Miami, have you checked that the US will let you enter the US and board the cruise with less than 6 months remaining?

Edited by RDC1

Hi,

Thanks!!!

No problem. There are no countries in the Caribbean, or North America that require six months remaining on your passport. EM
Yeah, actually there is. It's a reasonably big country. And it's the one he intends the board the ship from.

The United States requires it to be at least valid for another six months.

There are exceptions for some countries, but not Haiti.

So you should probably get it renewed.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Forums mobile app

My personal opinion would be if you have the time, GET A NEW PASSPORT! I have many people that have their travel/holiday plans messed up because of the 6 month rule. Also I had conflicting information from MSC when I called them, so better safe than sorry!

Since these leaves from Miami, have you checked that the US will let you enter the US and board the cruise with less than 6 months remaining?

If you are planning on returning to Miami , this is the most important question . Also are you a resident or visitor in the u.s .?If you are a resident then you need appropriate documentation to return to Miami . E.g. Visa ,arc card .Find someone at msc that can give you the correct information for your situation.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If you are planning on returning to Miami , this is the most important question . Also are you a resident or visitor in the u.s .?If you are a resident then you need appropriate documentation to return to Miami . E.g. Visa ,arc card .Find someone at msc that can give you the correct information for your situation.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

unfortunately, cruise lines do not give out this information - it is upto the passenger to do their research and check that they have the appropriate documents and/or visas to enter a country/take a cruise etc....

unfortunately, cruise lines do not give out this information - it is upto the passenger to do their research and check that they have the appropriate documents and/or visas to enter a country/take a cruise etc....

This is exactly what airlines do as well.

From the website of Delta Airlines:

Passport

A passport is required for ALL international travel. If you're traveling anywhere overseas, even to Canada, the Caribbean or Mexico, you need a passport to board an international flight and to enter any country. In general, your passport must be valid for at least six months beyond the period of intended stay in a foreign country.

Visit the U. S. State Department's

websiteopens in a new window if you need a new passport or your passport is about to expire. There, you can find information on obtaining first time passports, passport renewals, second passport issuance. You can also visit the U. S. Postal Serviceopens in a new window to find the closest Post Office that can also provide new and renewal passport services.