Studio to Balcony question

NJcruisemom

Currently booked in Studio, but see that a balcony has opened up. Base price for balcony is $400 less than my Studio base price (we booked a year in advance). NCL agent says I can't 'upgrade' to balcony unless my base price is the same, or less than the current balcony base price. So a they'll give a balcony to someone who books today for $400 less than I paid.

Can someone explain how this makes sense? Waiting to hear back from my PVP.

You must be past final payment. After that I've only heard of upgrades if it's the same or higher than what you paid, with you paying the difference. They prob don't want to deal with upgrading to a lower priced cabin and then people being mad they didn't get a refund.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

you usually can pay to upgrade at anytime. but i expect you will have to pay double occupancy vs the solo rate you paid for the studio.

My cost for the studio is higher than today's single supplement price for the balcony. I'm not asking for a credit, just to be moved to a balcony cabin.

You must be past final payment. After that I've only heard of upgrades if it's the same or higher than what you paid, with you paying the difference. They prob don't want to deal with upgrading to a lower priced cabin and then people being mad they didn't get a refund.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I told them I didn't want a refund...:(:(

What is the current price for a Studio on your sailing? Will moving you to the balcony and booking the studio to a new passenger make NCL more or less money than keeping you in the studio and booking the balcony to a new passenger?

What is the current price for a Studio on your sailing? Will moving you to the balcony and booking the studio to a new passenger make NCL more or less money than keeping you in the studio and booking the balcony to a new passenger?

Studios are currently sold out, but 2 days ago, they were $300 more than I paid.

I understand how simple things look to us on the outside, but there are many factors in play that we just don't see.

Your cruise starts in 2 days...at this point, available cabins are being awarded to people who have paid additional money for them through the Upgrade Advantage Program. Truth is, they would rather give that balcony to someone paying more $$ then to move you there for "free".

When you booked, a contract was created where you agreed to take a specific room for a specific price. I don't see how it is feasible to basically attempt to renegotiate your deal a couple days before sailing.

You booked at a price you thought was fair and were given the room you requested. At this point, just go and enjoy your cruise. The only way you can realistically expect today's pricing is to wait and book the cruise two days before sailing instead of a year in advance.

I understand how simple things look to us on the outside, but there are many factors in play that we just don't see.

Your cruise starts in 2 days...at this point, available cabins are being awarded to people who have paid additional money for them through the Upgrade Advantage Program. Truth is, they would rather give that balcony to someone paying more $$ then to move you there for "free".

When you booked, a contract was created where you agreed to take a specific room for a specific price. I don't see how it is feasible to basically attempt to renegotiate your deal a couple days before sailing.

You booked at a price you thought was fair and were given the room you requested. At this point, just go and enjoy your cruise. The only way you can realistically expect today's pricing is to wait and book the cruise two days before sailing instead of a year in advance.

I'm definitely good with what I have...it will be my first time in a Studio and I'm looking forward to that experience. But, I'm also a shopper (been watching prices go up and down)...always looking for a deal. Can't hurt to ask...worst thing they can say is no. And you're absolutely right...I'm still going on a cruise!!!!! :cool:

Is it the Balcony Sail Away that is less? What about looking for a Balcony that costs a little more than your studio if possible- only if that is available. I have had success in the past paying the difference when the balcony was greater (found by doing mock booking for one person).

i.e in May; the Balcony was $50 more than my studio so I paid the difference and got a second promo.

Do you currently have a promo with your studio?