Horizon Alchemy Bar Martini Tasting

Jesserose

Is the martini tasting available any time the Alchemy Bar is open or is it only offered at certain times. If it's only certain times, is that posted in the fun times? How do you sign up for it? Thanks - cruising August 16th!

Is the martini tasting available any time the Alchemy Bar is open or is it only offered at certain times. If it's only certain times, is that posted in the fun times? How do you sign up for it? Thanks - cruising August 16th!

Can't speak for the Horizon specifically, but on all the others ships I have been on, it is offered specific times on certain days that are posted in the fun times. We just walked up and requested it, and have seen others do the the same.

You will get a choice of 4 of 8(?) martinis and they will be half size portions in smaller glasses. It is a specific 8(?) that you can chose from, where as the menu has 20+ to chose from.

We found it to be a great introduction to a variety of martinis as we had never really had them and it gave us each a sense of whether we would like them and what flavors we would like. Of course, I think there goal is to then lead you, as we did, to, over the course of the cruise, order every drink (except the absinthe one - yuck!) on the menu. Then, we branched out into having them mix drinks for us based upon our likes. Never turned back...have a few favorites on the menu which we will order from time to time but 50% or more of what we ordered is handcrafted by the mixologists.

It is available! They used to (on other ships), have scheduled martini tastings. Now, it’s sort of a first come, first serve.

We asked the bartender (Anna Maria) on night one and she told us to ask back in day four (8 day cruise). We asked on day four and she gave us a day (day 6) and time. She told us that she had to make sure she was able to get the other slots filled before she committed, that’s why she needed those couple of days.

• 2 weeks later...
It is available! They used to (on other ships), have scheduled martini tastings. Now, it’s sort of a first come, first serve.

We asked the bartender (Anna Maria) on night one and she told us to ask back in day four (8 day cruise). We asked on day four and she gave us a day (day 6) and time. She told us that she had to make sure she was able to get the other slots filled before she committed, that’s why she needed those couple of days.

Day 6 seems really late to sample martinis and encourage people to buy more drinks at Alchemy. From what I hear on this forum they have no problem getting people to hang there so I guess it doesn’t hurt them. I perhaps just think it makes more sense to have it in the beginning of the cruise.