Insurance and procrastination...

PK34

It is times like this when I am mad at myself for my procrastination tendencies! I know for best coverage, I needed to book insurance right away when I booked the cruise. Well I forgot to purchase it initially and now I’m within 3 months of the cruise with no insurance.

We are flying to Barcelona on award tickets which are refundable so I’m not too concerned about insuring the flight. However, I do worry about delays and such. We are flying in 2 days before embarkation so do have a buffer built in.

I would love any recommendations for insurance plans. We do have elderly parents with no current health issues. Are there any plans that would cover cancellation if anything happened to them between now and our cruise? I am thinking it’s too late for this. The most important options for me at this time are if one of us gets ill between now and then and can’t travel or if something happens during our travel whether it be delays or illness. We are on a transatlantic cruise if that makes a difference.

Thanks!

It is times like this when I am mad at myself for my procrastination tendencies! I know for best coverage, I needed to book insurance right away when I booked the cruise. Well I forgot to purchase it initially and now I’m within 3 months of the cruise with no insurance.

We are flying to Barcelona on award tickets which are refundable so I’m not too concerned about insuring the flight. However, I do worry about delays and such. We are flying in 2 days before embarkation so do have a buffer built in.

I would love any recommendations for insurance plans. We do have elderly parents with no current health issues. Are there any plans that would cover cancellation if anything happened to them between now and our cruise? I am thinking it’s too late for this. The most important options for me at this time are if one of us gets ill between now and then and can’t travel or if something happens during our travel whether it be delays or illness. We are on a transatlantic cruise if that makes a difference.

Thanks!

We are on the Symphony TA in OCT. Sounds like the same cruise. We booked about a year ago and bought insurance last week. Used insure my trip . com. Cancel for any reason was still available but we passed, Total cost to cover cruise, hotel, and air was $268.00 for 2 of us aged 60+l. Not super coverage just the basic. The only thing to late to cover is the pre-conditions.

Thanks!

You can get insurance up until 24 hours before departure.

Now, whether it covers what you are looking for is up to you.

you can begin your research at

www.tripinsurancestore.com

www.insuremytrip.com

or other sites

These websites are great, but they also have 800 numbers to call and the people are very knowledgeable and will walk you through the best policy for your needs.

:)

another site is squaremouth.com

The issue with the insurance outside the initial window is that pre-existing conditions may not be covered. Check with your TA if you used one. For my next trip in December my TA's company has a special deal with Allianz that allowed me to purchase the coverage through the TA (with full non-exclusionary coverage) after my deposit as long as it was before paying the remainder of the fare. This option was NOT available by calling Allianz directly. The policy name is different than buying it from Allianz directly, but the coverages were about the same.

On our last cruise in June we had an Allianz policy purchased directly and someone in our group had to go to the ER in Barcelona for what turned out to be a kidney stone. It was a private hospital. The bill was about $1,100.00. Returned home, sent the bill (in Spanish) to Allianz and 10 days later we got a check for the full amount with no further questions or communication from them. It was impressive.

Thanks everyone! I will do some calling today and see what I can come up with. I booked this cruise on the first day it was offered and also booked my flights on the first day they were offered. Although I did not book insurance on the cruise, After going through my documentation, I realized I did book insurance on the flight. It is through Allianz. I’m hoping I can just extend the policy on the flight to include the entire vacation. I had completely forgotten I had purchased insurance for the flight.

After going through my documentation, I realized I did book insurance on the flight. It is through Allianz. I’m hoping I can just extend the policy on the flight to include the entire vacation.

Should be no problem extending through Allianz. I booked a cruise in 2017. I did b2b on two different lines. I bought one policy to cover both cruises. We added a trip to Paris so I simply called and increased the value to cover the added cost to go to Paris. Most Travel Insurance companies cover your entire vacation for the value you declare, regardless of whether it's a cruise, resort, etc.

Also, if you really want "cancel for any reason," you can purchase RCCL's insurance and get 75% cancel for any reason. Not necessarily the best policy for your situation unless that feature is important to you. Then you can keep your flight insurance for the flight.

These websites are great, but they also have 800 numbers to call and the people are very knowledgeable and will walk you through the best policy for your needs.

:)

another site is squaremouth.com

I've used squaremout for almost all of our trips. All of the different insurance websites offer the same insurance and rates. I have found the squaremouth agents helpful and knowledgeable whether it be by IM or telephone. Since our last river cruise was refundable up until departure we elected to only take medical coverage and purchased it right before we left. As stated above you can get everything except pre-existing condition coverage up until departure. Pre-existingcondition coverage must be purchased within the 15 day of booking window.

. Pre-existingcondition coverage must be purchased within the 15 day of booking window.

Last one I purchased had to be paid for before final cruise payment to cover the pre existing conditions.

also stated that no condition would be covered if I had seen a Dr about it within 90 days of the cruise.

I had to juggle a few Drs appointments till after the cruise.