Do 'Smaller' Ships Better Give Your Teenager a Better Chance to Make Friends?

Open Mind23

Last year, my daughter was 12 and we cruised on the Carnival Magic (capacity over 6,000), she went to Circle C for young teens and didn't seem to like it very much and did not make any friends. Last week we cruised the Carnival Paradise (less than half the capacity of the Magic) and we couldn't get her away from Circle C. She walked away from that cruise with about 6 good friends she had met (BFFs :-)) and several more acquaintances.

My question is this: has anyone noticed that it is a lot easier for teens to make friends on the smaller ships? Does the overwhelming number of passengers on the larger ships make it more difficult for your kids to see the same kid twice?

It's possible that my daughter has just grown a year older and become more independent and outgoing, or maybe there was just a great set of girls that bonded on this trip. But I suspect the smaller ships make it easier for kids to make some good friends. Tell me if I'm wrong.

I think it’s luck of the draw. You would think she’d have a better chance of making friends on a bigger ship (more people=higher probability of making a friend), but I think it’s like real life. You can walk into a room at a party and not really like anyone but go to another room and make 5 friends.

I’m glad she found such a good group!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think a lot of it is just luck. When we first started cruising, someone told me to take your son on the first night because after that the cliques start to form and it is hard to break into them.

On some cruises, our soon stayed with us and on others we rarely saw him. I did not see any correlation between size of ship and friends he met but I guess it could make a difference.

Like the others, I think it just depends on your kid and the group of the other kids. Mine has always made some friends on each cruise. Sometimes it's just 1 or 2 he stays in touch with, and other times, it's been like 5 or 6. He prefers a smaller group anyway. And it may be like you said, she was a year older. As a 12 year old on the Magic, I could see how she might feel awkward. She's the youngest in a big group. But at 13, she's more in the middle. Just a thought. Either way, as long as she's had fun with the friends she makes, that's all the matters!

It depends so much more on "who" is on the ship. IN fact my teens have made more friends on bigger ships because they have more activities. If your sailing has a lot of extended family or large groups sailing then it will be more difficult to make friends.

My teens advice is to go the first night and be open to talking to other kids. Check any shyness or worry about what other people will think when leave port. Also don't stay with a group that isn't working for you. Go to the parties and dance, don't sit on the side lines.

"It's possible that my daughter has just grown a year older and become more independent and outgoing."

This. My son didn't really like Circle C on the Magic; it was his first time with this group, the activities were geared around the Christmas show (so NOT his thing) and he never really found anyone. He had had sign in/out in the 9-11 age group and had no issues there. He also has had no issues at 13 and 14. I think there is something about that age around 12 that just makes it harder - they are so self-conscious. We have been on all sizes of ships and all other times it has been fine.

He very astutely recognizes that both away camp and cruises by nature cause/force people to form friend groups quickly. So if you miss out on finding someone that first night, it can be tough.

I do think on some of the larger ships with more amenities (sports square, water parks, movie theaters, etc.), that perhaps kids opt for those other activities over going to camp. Also, bigger ships are more spread out so it's harder to run into the same people when out and about on the ship. I've noticed that with adults as well! We might make a "friend" in a bar one night and then not run into them again.

It may also depend on when you are traveling (i.e. summer/spring break tend to have more kids in general).

Last year, my daughter was 12 and we cruised on the Carnival Magic (capacity over 6,000), she went to Circle C for young teens and didn't seem to like it very much and did not make any friends. Last week we cruised the Carnival Paradise (less than half the capacity of the Magic) and we couldn't get her away from Circle C. She walked away from that cruise with about 6 good friends she had met (BFFs :-)) and several more acquaintances.

My question is this: has anyone noticed that it is a lot easier for teens to make friends on the smaller ships? Does the overwhelming number of passengers on the larger ships make it more difficult for your kids to see the same kid twice?

It's possible that my daughter has just grown a year older and become more independent and outgoing, or maybe there was just a great set of girls that bonded on this trip. But I suspect the smaller ships make it easier for kids to make some good friends. Tell me if I'm wrong.

Actually, The Magic only holds 3700+ passengers. I believe you are thinking of the Oasis or her sister ships that hold 6000+. 3700 is still a lot but that's a lot more kids too. I think it depends on the kid, the time of year and the itinerary. I'm sure she'll be fine. I honestly think the smaller ships have a lot fewer kids. Like I said, I'm sure she will be fine, especially since she's a year older!

EDIT!!! I misread and didn't realize she already found new friends. Good for her! I think it's the luck of the draw.

Last summer, we did a back to back on the Vista. The first week, my daughter made many friends and had a few she hung out with regularly and is still in touch with. The second week, she tried, but never made a connection. It really is the luck of the draw.