Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

Greetings Coolers!

Sorry to be late!  We were having great fun with our visitors.  Lots of laughs!  Dinner at Black Tartan Kitchen was awesome!

Today's funny (for those taking vacation soon).....

5def5cafcf3243bdab9be14d8427291e.jpeg.a48043072af262bcd2950e8cbf76fbf8.jpeg

Have a great safe fun day all!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Relaxing in Ottawa tonight after arriving in Canada yesterday. It's been a great time so far!

Last night we enjoyed a 7-course tasting menu at Black Tartan Kitchen, about 40 minutes from Ottawa. The menu was a mystery until each course was served. We had done our best with the crossword puzzle and had some guesses. The theme of the puzzle was old song titles.

And the food was really well done! We went with the suggested wine pairings for each course.

1. "War Pigs" house made charcuterie and pickled veggies with Sourdough bread, paired with Vihno Verde.

20220910_200827.thumb.jpg.cd8d4eff6aa947ed7b4f3528a3a10bee.jpg

2. "A'maize'ing Grace" corn and Chantilly cream soup, cilantro oil. Paired with Rose Hall Run Sparkling.

20220910_203740.thumb.jpg.832c73b7ca18ee7d56de117f44268ad2.jpg

3. "The 'Salad' of Curtis Loew" tomato salad, with prosciutto crisp, bacon and bourbon Gelato, pecorino cream, fennel fronds, tomato water foam. Paired with Provençal rosé. 

20220910_205855.thumb.jpg.36b15431ff8347725e60bc7592a47fc7.jpg

4. "Free bird" duck tartare, foie gras Chantilly, foie gras powder, duck skin cracker, house made brioche. Paired with a Niagara Pinot Noir.

20220910_212249.thumb.jpg.6f8fe2c99147780e6472895505ee3535.jpg

5. "'Boarn' to be Wild" wild boar loin, carrot-cumin puree, mini vegetables, potatoes au gratin with Emmentaler and Gruyère. Paired with Roselle Run, Prince Edward County Cab-Merlot.

20220910_215624.thumb.jpg.941a2dddc70ad364bb6272736a8a4dc0.jpg

6. "M-M-M-My Corona" Corona beer sorbet, jalapeno-lime granita, jalepeno chips, corn chip rim. No wine pairing needed here.

20220910_222149.thumb.jpg.c4f614be6a8cefe0fb698369c02de86f.jpg

7. 'American Pie" apple cheese turnover, apple Gelato, smoked cheddar Chantilly, lemon crumbs. Paired with maple whiskey.

20220910_224755.thumb.jpg.ad02acd96124d9b178293444844217e2.jpg

The food and the company were wonderful! We didn't get home from dinner until 11:30.

Today after a relaxing morning with our generous hosts, we drove to Ottawa and met up with my sister. We went out for steak and I found a delicious Cabernet on the menu from a winery  we had visited in Chile 3 years ago! It was enjoyed all around. Another busy day planned for tomorrow. 

• Like 9

39 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

Relaxing in Ottawa tonight after arriving in Canada yesterday. It's been a great time so far!

Last night we enjoyed a 7-course tasting menu at Black Tartan Kitchen, about 40 minutes from Ottawa. The menu was a mystery until each course was served. We had done our best with the crossword puzzle and had some guesses. The theme of the puzzle was old song titles.

And the food was really well done! We went with the suggested wine pairings for each course.

Wow! Wow! Wow!  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, turtlemichael said:

Wow! I wonder if they recognised mysty as I think she was there at the same time.  Gosh, it's a small world! 🤗

Wow! What are the odds of something like that happening? If only we'd have planned ahead...

Edited by jpalbny
  • Like 4
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, jpalbny said:

Wow! What are the odds of something like that happening? If only we'd have planned ahead...

I'm sensing sarcasm here – did you have a great time dining with Mysty?  Only food pictures to post?–none of the happy table group???

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I'm sensing sarcasm here – did you have a great time dining with Mysty?  Only food pictures to post?–none of the happy table group???

Glad someone else figured it out! Stumblefoot and turtlemichael were in on it too and playing along.

Edited by jpalbny
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, jpalbny said:

Glad someone else figured it out! Stumblefoot and Turtle Michael were in on it too and playing along.

I knew it as soon as you posted...........glad you had a nice visit together. And had a good visit with your sister as well.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

What joy!

I do so hate to feel I prattle on about the square root of nothing at all amongst all the funnies et al.  .... but isn't it a wonderful Cooler landmark after all these years and this time to morph from the vurtual to the reality and that some who have been long term virtual Cooler cohorts have in fact eaten together in the real un-virtual world?  

Thanks muchly.

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, UKCruiseJeff said:

What joy!

I do so hate to feel I prattle on about the square root of nothing at all amongst all the funnies et al.  .... but isn't it a wonderful Cooler landmark after all these years and this time to morph from the vurtual to the reality and that some who have been long term virtual Cooler cohorts have in fact eaten together in the real un-virtual world?  

Thanks muchly.

Even though we were meeting for the first time,  to me it felt like meeting a dear old friend! 🥰

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, mysty said:

Even though we were meeting for the first time,  to me it felt like meeting a dear old friend! 🥰

It felt like that to me as well! At least the dear part. 🙂

We are slowly making our way to Toronto. Rainy day down here along the river. We made a stop in Brockville to walk through the old railway tunnel. Very nice!

Now at lunch nearby. Then another 3+ hours of driving. Hopefully some of the rain passes by before we start up again. 

• Like 4

Not being an alarmist, I wanted to wait until it was almost over to point out – for those of you who don't remember Walt Kelly's Pogo comic strip – that today is one of those unlucky days when Friday the 13th comes on a Tuesday!  The good news is that we're safe until next September – when we have the unluckiest day of all when Friday the 13th comes on a Wednesday!!!

Pogo_1965-10-13_100.thumb.jpg.24c960be1321a8e47ec14c41e8cfd807.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, mysty said:

Greetings Coolers!

Today's funny.....

sarcastic-memes.jpg.16c85f037be5f67ce37cde2b50fedae3.jpg

Have a great safe fun day all!

Not saying it's you, but not saying it's not..  

20220914_124519.thumb.jpg.c8b83e5042f0d5edd08c0d0f4e93fa7e.jpg

Hi from Toronto! Found a Sancerre rosé on the wine list here. It only comes in a bottle, though.

Edited by jpalbny
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, jpalbny said:

Not saying it's you, but not saying it's not..  

20220914_124519.thumb.jpg.c8b83e5042f0d5edd08c0d0f4e93fa7e.jpg

Hi from Toronto! 

Ha ha ha!  I do have that effect on people! Is Toronto more of a zoo than normal?  TIFF (Toronto International Film Festival) is going on now.  You may see some celebs swaning about!  😁

Does any Cooler remain that is still of a doughy disposition?  🥸

I still keep some boxes of dough in the fridge for those early morning munchy requirements.  Wifey’s eyes start drooping at 1am’ish and so I’m left to the log fire and streaming TV, ……. and the draw of the dough.  So I reach into the fridge and pull off a handful of dough and flatten it out and make a small pizza enough for three or four mouthfuls.  They are not elegant or sophisticated, but when the pizza beckons it is best not to resist.  And do believe me  … the dough with a “less is more” topping does hit the mark.

The current boxes are so energetic they have been trying to liberate themselves from their boxes even though they are in a cold fridge.  And they are 5 day sour-dough-lite.  

This will all seem very weird to those that love dough, but they are 75% Caputo 00 long ferment (blue bag) flour and 25% Caputo fine ground Semolina ….. with … wait for it 100% hydration.  Plus a large shot of Berio Rustica cloudy unfiltered extra virgin oil, some course Marldon sea salt, yeast and topped with some rustic passata with oregano some sugar and salt and some hard mozzarella and a mushroom. 

All of this is deeply boring to those that are untainted by dough obsession.  But as things are currently so depressing here in the Homeland I thought I’d share a picture of my lonely singleton-pizza that with a large jug of rustic Puglia lifted the spirits beside the fire. 

Jeff x

C96BFCDE-F936-42E9-BD1C-207B53F138AC.jpeg

85741256-B0C2-4C53-B8DB-61015DC7F2C2.jpeg

0835FF0A-F40A-43FE-90D8-4069E552724C.webp

B42031A0-4ADD-4F58-BB9F-004A38DDDA0A.webp

0AEDCF6E-2532-4D1B-A6E8-12FCA0A6761C.jpeg

91E69198-7351-40BE-B658-FC5FB51D71EB.jpeg

Edited by UKCruiseJeff
  • Like 6